Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
ORD-CUN-ORD

ORD<->CUN
2x K/T fare
$139 each way/pp
Outbound had 7 F seats available at boarding. Flt was oversold (by 9!) so they filled F with op-ups.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by megalab
ORD<->CUN
2x K/T fare
$139 each way/pp
Outbound had 7 F seats available at boarding. Flt was oversold (by 9!) so they filled F with op-ups.
Did you bite? I would have.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
LHR-EWR
$619.00 at OLCI
B fare
2 seats open, both row 1 with larger footwell
Took it, booked into Z
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-Gold; 1MM
ORD-DCA

2-week advance
V/E fare for $509 r/t
PCU during purchase for $99 each way.
Playing roulette instead.

After purchase, they offer $465 and $974.

Last edited by JubJub; Jun 10, 2016 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:35 am

I don't get those ridiculous offers after booking. At booking UA wanted $99 for an upgrade on SFO-SAN - very reasonable. Now after booking it's $840 per leg. So $1680 + original fare. Where the heck does UA get these numbers from?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by altbg
I don't get those ridiculous offers after booking. At booking UA wanted $99 for an upgrade on SFO-SAN - very reasonable. Now after booking it's $840 per leg. So $1680 + original fare. Where the heck does UA get these numbers from?
Offer is the impulse, highly discounted , one time only purchase offer. The other offer is always available upfare (fare difference between your ticket and the present available FC fare).

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cm-united.html for more.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Offer is the impulse, highly discounted , one time only purchase offer. The other offer is always available upfare (fare difference between your ticket and the present available FC fare).

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cm-united.html for more.
I'm used to the $99 upgrade option at booking and usually the upfare offers I see after booking are for the discounted F fares. But right now it looks like .bomb wants to upgrade to a full F fare even though P, Z, or A fares are available. I have other reservations with the same thing going on and it just started a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by altbg
I'm used to the $99 upgrade option at booking and usually the upfare offers I see after booking are for the discounted F fares. But right now it looks like .bomb wants to upgrade to a full F fare even though P, Z, or A fares are available. I have other reservations with the same thing going on and it just started a few weeks ago.
After the at-booking offer, it's supposed to offer you the fare difference to "buy up to United First". But it's spectacularly bad at coming up with this number, probably being correct less than half the time. It's not a new thing.

You can always call in and pay the simple fare difference by asking an agent to re-fare you.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
This thread seems like a good place to ask this question. I took advantage a $169 upgrade after purchasing my ticket. So, my ticket still claims the original $350 price, but not the total $519 cost . My trip got postponed. When I go to change the ticket on line, I am not given credit for the $169 upgrade. I know I will have to pay a $200 change fee. Is the $169 upgrade fee lost? Any experience with this situation? (I'm assuming I will need to call, but curious if I need to prepare for a fight, or if United is good about this).
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:18 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
There was one business seat left on the EWR-TLV flight this Saturday. About 20 people on the upgrade list. The Gate agents were pushing to sell this at $1049. Would have been pissed if I was number 1 on the list and had it sold out from me. Fortunately my GPU cleared around 18 hours prior to flight time.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: 1 thousand
IAH-LHR yesterday, saw $819 (from L) which seemed reasonable, at around 1.5 hours before departure, for a central-aisle in row 1. I was interested in going for it, but we were in descent on my previous flight, and my wallet was in the OH bins. By the time we landed the offer was gone. The offer wasn't available earlier in the day, despite there being 2 free seats in BF, at the time the offer appeared there was only one seat left.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have a TATL work trip coming up - departure about a week away now. Booked in discount economy. TATL legs are IAD<->LHR.

Any insights into the best way to get an optimum buy-up offer? I typically check in right at T-24 hrs. Does check in time make a difference? If I have already checked-in, can I still look for buy up offers somehow?

Thanks for sharing any best practices for this.

Added: I have been checking frequently, but R=0 ever since booking. I continue to check in case they open up.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
... If I have already checked-in, can I still look for buy up offers somehow? ....
yes

Check often, check multiple methods -- online, phone app, kisoks, ....

The online offers typically does not change much until close to departure.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes

Check often, check multiple methods -- online, phone app, kisoks, ....

The online offers typically does not change much until close to departure.
Thanks WineCountry. Perhaps a dunce question, but how exactly do you check for an upgrade after already being checked in?

I haven't had to worry about this before and I don't recall seeing upgrade offers on the app / online / kiosks after already having been checked in.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:59 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks WineCountry. Perhaps a dunce question, but how exactly do you check for an upgrade after already being checked in?

I haven't had to worry about this before and I don't recall seeing upgrade offers on the app / online / kiosks after already having been checked in.
I go to "change seats" and if there is an upgrade available it will show up then and there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.