Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-IAH on 763
$149 from M fare at OLCI.
took it, booked into A, so addl 1400 PQM's.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-DEN $119 each way at purchase.
Declined.
The buy-up to P is only $287, or $49 more for the roundtrip. For the additional $49, I'll take the additional PQD, RDM, 2x PQM bonus, etc.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Looking for advice on how I might be able to make progress on the following situation.

ORD-MCO, 4 travelers, round-trip.

We are already upgraded on the ORD-MCO leg.

The MCO-ORD leg is showing a crazy cheap upgrade of "from $51 per person" on the Reservation overview screen, but when I click through to the Upgrade screen, it shows "no upgrade available". There are 6 open seats on the seat map.

Called Premier desk. Premier agent could only come up with a price that is $207 pp. She transferred me to .com support, who was able to replicate the issue, but said the rate desk is also giving her the same $207 pp.

Would HUACA be worth it in this case, or will I likely get the same answer. Trying to decide if another 30+ minutes of phone wrangling would be worth it.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rflor
... Would HUACA be worth it in this case, or will I likely get the same answer. Trying to decide if another 30+ minutes of phone wrangling would be worth it.
Call again, ask for web support -- if they can duplicate the $51 pricing, ask them to honor that price. If they refuse, suggest they check with a supervisor -- and mention if not satisfactory resolved, you will be contracting the DoT or false / deceptive pricing (up to you if you do).

This is likely related to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ly-booked.html which seems to have partially addressed.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
"from $51 per person" ...

Would HUACA be worth it in this case, or will I likely get the same answer. Trying to decide if another 30+ minutes of phone wrangling would be worth it.
I think the quote above says it all. No certainty about the offered price. I would not waste another second on this matter.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I think the quote above says it all. No certainty about the offered price. I would not waste another second on this matter.
Yeah that's what I was wondering about my situation. In the other thread, it appears as if users could get all the way to a "purchase" screen where things proceed to go South

I can't get .com to quote me any price for the upgrade...just the $51 pp teaser on the main reservation screen.

The .com rep readily acknowledged they could see the teaser, but like me, could not get to a point where they could purchase at that price.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Has an elite ever gotten these offers on international flights?

I never have? I mean the upgrade prices I see are ridiculous.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Have a flight DFW-EWR-MAD in November on UA, return BCN-FRA-IAH-CRP with the first two legs on LH.

Current offer is $3178 to upgrade the outbound and $3444 to upgrade the return (laughable). But the interesting thing is that it is only $2017 to upgrade the whole trip?!

"Upgrade All Eligible Flights $2,017 per person You will save $4,606 by upgrading your entire trip."

This is actually a pretty good deal, especially considering I only paid $400 for the ticket. But sadly Mr. TxAgg does not want to. Anyone ever seen such a large discrepancy in pricing? FWIW: K class out, S class return. I checked and the LH would book to business not first, which I suspected.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Looking for advice on how I might be able to make progress on the following situation.

ORD-MCO, 4 travelers, round-trip.

We are already upgraded on the ORD-MCO leg.

The MCO-ORD leg is showing a crazy cheap upgrade of "from $51 per person" on the Reservation overview screen, but when I click through to the Upgrade screen, it shows "no upgrade available". There are 6 open seats on the seat map.

Called Premier desk. Premier agent could only come up with a price that is $207 pp. She transferred me to .com support, who was able to replicate the issue, but said the rate desk is also giving her the same $207 pp.

Question ... was your itinerary MCO-ORD, or was it MCO-ORD-XXX ... when they make the offer, they always advertise the price of the cheaper segment... which would have been ORD-XXX potentially... not saying that this is your case, but I have seen this on itineraries where I make connections. The $51 in this case is accurate, but deceiving of course.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Question ... was your itinerary MCO-ORD, or was it MCO-ORD-XXX ... when they make the offer, they always advertise the price of the cheaper segment... which would have been ORD-XXX potentially... not saying that this is your case, but I have seen this on itineraries where I make connections. The $51 in this case is accurate, but deceiving of course.
It's a basic round trip...ORD-MCO.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:09 pm

IAD-CDG

Gotta love this: "Upgrade All Eligible Flights $4,257 per person. You will save $4 by upgrading your entire trip."

With the $4 I save, I can get that dust pan I've always wanted.

Last edited by CurbedEnthusiasm; Jul 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
IAD-CDG

Gotta love this: "Upgrade All Eligible Flights $4,257 per person You will save $4 by upgrading your entire trip."

With the $4 I save, I can get dust pan I've always wanted.

The algorithm is wacky. As I posted a few posts above, I got the exact opposite result. ""Upgrade All Eligible Flights $2,017 per person You will save $4,606 by upgrading your entire trip."" The r/t is less than trying to upgrade either of the two legs.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not going to do it - but I noticed that my wife is being offered an upgrade on the same LHR-EWR flight in December for $1041. I am being offered the same upgrade for $2371. We are both flying the same fare class and paid the same price for the ticket...any simple explanation for the difference in price? I am Platinum, she is Gold.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Not going to do it - but I noticed that my wife is being offered an upgrade on the same LHR-EWR flight in December for $1041. I am being offered the same upgrade for $2371. We are both flying the same fare class and paid the same price for the ticket...any simple explanation for the difference in price? I am Platinum, she is Gold.
Don't act surprised based on posts in this thread and previous similar ones. Lower tier elites get better offers and there is no way to deny that. I had a similar case where I was flying the same itinerary as my non-elite friends. My offer was 4x their offer.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Interesting. This is the first time as a kettle where I haven't been offered anything at or after OLCI. There are seats available.

BOS-EWR and then EWR-LHR.

Last edited by diburning; Jul 10, 2016 at 4:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.