Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Juls27
I am flying with my husband and a son (on the lap) who will be almost 1 year old at the time, so having a full bed is our best bet to get some sleep. We don't have any special status with United, we have MileagePlus Explorer cards with them, but that's pretty much it, we don't fly very often. Is there any trick that could help improve our chances for an upgrade?
A friendly suggestion - call UA and confirm the E+ bulkhead seats for the baby bassinet? Just in case the upgrade doesn't come thru.

Also not sure if/how a cash and miles ugprade for a lapchild is charged by UA - perhaps other experienced FTers could comment?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lainys
A friendly suggestion - call UA and confirm the E+ bulkhead seats for the baby bassinet? Just in case the upgrade doesn't come thru.

Also not sure if/how a cash and miles ugprade for a lapchild is charged by UA - perhaps other experienced FTers could comment?
A lap child is problematic, the child will have to have a ticket in the C cabin which is charged at 10% of the current C ticket which if it's upgraded at the gate is probably a full C fare. My daughter flew SYD-LAX on an upgraded ticket with her 9 month old, a 10% full C fare for the child was $1600 but as the upgrade cleared a few weeks before she was able to buy a discounted 10% C fare for $800.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Had some SFO-ABQ-LAX-SFO, and on the ABQ-LAX leg was offered 79$ buy up to FIRST.

This was on an award ticket. Saver class.

And, on the LAX-SFO leg was upgraded just before take off to First class (Again, AWARD TICKET) and I was on a 2 person Itin, and DIDN'T split us, but declined the upgrade anyway as we were in Exit row with nobody in the middle and didn't want to split of course.

Odd though.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Had some SFO-ABQ-LAX-SFO, and on the ABQ-LAX leg was offered 79$ buy up to FIRST.

This was on an award ticket. Saver class.

And, on the LAX-SFO leg was upgraded just before take off to First class (Again, AWARD TICKET) and I was on a 2 person Itin, and DIDN'T split us, but declined the upgrade anyway as we were in Exit row with nobody in the middle and didn't want to split of course.

Odd though.
Odd is one of UA's many middle names.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
UA951 BRU-IAD
H fare
$965 at OLCI (T-24)
Declined although I briefly considered it - much cheaper than the $1300-1700 I've been offered on every other transatlantic flight this year.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Maybe this is not the right thread to post this since this is for UA advertised buy-ups after check-in.... BUT ... here is something that may be useful to all of you out there....

I was checked in for my GRR-DEN tomorrow morning (Friday)... booked in M class and was in first via PN space. I was just poking around on the UA website, went to "change or view reservations", and selected "change flights" for my itinerary. I chose first class in place of economy class, and they offered me F class for $45. Didn't take me more than 5 seconds to proceed with that one. Additional 2000PQM on top of the 1000 I was already receiving. A few additional award miles, and a MUCH better probability to get a first class seat if there are irrops tomorrow.

I am going to check this route more often... if I can buy up so cheap in this fashion, I will do this all the time.

Again, this is not the traditional buy-up offer that is shown post-check-in... I did a true re-issue of the ticket. And... I bet this was even cheaper than had I taken a post-OLCI offer (had there not been PN space or had I not received the upgrade yet). Not to mention, I would not have received any additional PQD's or award miles for that.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juls27
Thank you! Could you please elaborate a bit on this: do you refer to other United flights? What is the best way to track that? Just keep searching from time to time for a similar ticket and check if the upgrade is offered with another flight?
Yes, all my comments refer to "true" UA flights flown on UA metal, incl the SDC option.
Best way to track is pretty much searching for u/g space on a regular basis.
Old May 20, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AC*E35
Anyone had any HNL up sell offers? I haven't seen any in this thread...
Old May 26, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
MSP-IAH
Q fare
Offered $69

Even on a e175, I accepted for a 3hr flight.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
SFO-LHR on a Tuesday mid-day 787
T fare
Offered $829

Had previously waitlisted a 20k + $550 upgrade, was #8 on the list. Took the upgrade and immediately got the 20k miles back, $550 copay was refunded within 3 days. Marginal $280 was worth it to be able to sleep before morning meetings.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At $ 280 for 20K miles, this comes out to 1.4 c/mile - nothing to feel bad about.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:04 am

bought two separate roundtrip tickets for the wife and I from SFO-CUN on a T-fare.
Going to CUN plane was full so nothing offered after checking up until boarding time. Coming back to SFO There seemed to be about 15 empty seats. Initially I was in row 36 and after I would imagine elites moved up to E+ I was able to change both our seats to row 14 which I was happy with. As I was changing I was offered business for $139 each. My wife thought she could survive it but I thought it was a business for $139 was a steal for a 6 hour flight so I immediately booked.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:43 am

EWR-LAX
K Fare
$299 to BF at OLCI

ACCEPTED! (was also offered $619 on the site, but immediately checked the app and saw the $299 offer)
Old May 27, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
LAX-IAD on the 777 the day after Memorial day. The flight looks very full, yet I got the PCU to biz for only $133 so I'm happy.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-DEN tomorrow (Memorial Day). E Fare, 3 seats left to sell in F on a 320. $232!! Declined.

Prior to OLCI, it was $322. Of course no CPU, even with only 9 out of 12 sold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.