Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Checking in for SFO-LAX.

Mobile app upgrade offer: $169
Website upgrade offer: $402
Cost to change ticket to an F cabin ticket $259 (no change fee b/c w/in 24 hours).

Upgrade list says booked 14/16, and I'm 4th on the list.

What are they doing?

Greg

Last edited by goalie; Mar 2, 2016 at 5:24 pm Reason: Using symbols to mask profanity removed
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BigJC
Be vigilant about checking your CC account until the charge actually posts. The one and only time I bit on a buy up at purchase, the CC authorization was the same as the offer so I figured no problem. I checked a few days later and got the rude surprise - the actual amount charged was a few hundred dollars more than the authorization.
Oddly enough, the charge is the right amount, but still pending - after almost 5 days, it hasn't posted. I've been checking the reservation twice a day, which is going to make me neurotic if I need to do that every day for the next two months, especially if the upgrade charge never posts, and just drops from pending.

Has that ever happened to anyone here? The upgrade is bought, the ticket re-issued and synced by an agent, the new cabin and booking class are there, but the fee is never charged after sitting in a pending state for days? If so, were you downgraded, denied boarding, or flew as expected?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Booked FLL-EWR-HKG/PVG-NRT-SFO-SEA...right after ticketing, went to the upgrade trip option to use my GPUs and was offered FLL-EWR-HKG for $587 (and the return for $2,200 but I ignored that).

Confused, I rubbed my eyes and cleared my head and looked again...and there it was. I was initially not going to do it because I don't want to add more cost to the trip, but after figuring I'm getting an extra 9,000 PQM out of the deal with the bonus plus 50% RDM, it made sense given it would cost more than $587 to buy enough transcons to equal that 9,000.

Booked me into P class on the outbound, and I checked my credit card to make sure the temp authorization was really $587 and not $5,870 or some other rude surprise....and there it is...my first international buy-up to BF.

Oddly, there is no P fare published on this route one-way...so not sure how the buy-up was computed.
It was because your W/V fare(I presume with the intention to use GPU) is not that far off from the latest TPAC J sale. I just found that FLL-HKG, some major UA-operating Asian cities-US are running at 3.3k. Considering the W fare is very likely 1.5k-1.7k, it sort of makes sense to just upgrade one specific leg for roughly $600.

You can also make a comparison by searching business on the outbound and still W fare in the inbound. The system may calculate the one-way P fare if you book it as a round-trip(despite the return being non-P)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Was a long and rough (fun) night in London - Travelling today (March 3) from LHR-ORD on UA 928 and was looking to upgrade to GF for trip back to the states - but this time there are no upsell offers to be found - Either on the mobile app or when I look via my laptop on .bomb...

There are 2 open seats in GF (with 2 non-revs on standby for them) and seats in GF are available to purchase. Thought I would post it here as I have ALWAYS been offered a chance to upgrade when flying paid J to F on UA - they monetize everything lol...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 3, 2016 at 1:20 am
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I tweeted United asking why there was a 2x difference between the .com upgrade price and the mobile app upgrade price, the former being higher than the purchase price of a new F cabin ticket.

First they asked me if it was a timing issue, but when I said they were simultaneous, their response was that they didn't have a concrete answer for me, and thanked me for bringing it to our attention.

I supposed I didn't actually expect a definitive answer to this, but disappointing nonetheless.

Seems like something that uainsider should shed some light on...

Greg
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
It was because your W/V fare(I presume with the intention to use GPU) is not that far off from the latest TPAC J sale. I just found that FLL-HKG, some major UA-operating Asian cities-US are running at 3.3k. Considering the W fare is very likely 1.5k-1.7k, it sort of makes sense to just upgrade one specific leg for roughly $600.
There's a cheap P fare out there, but the spread from a W is much greater than that.

I see a $1410 W and a $3449 P. Difference of approx. $1000 each direction.

This is just one of those inexplicable UA IT fart buy-up offers. We certainly see plenty of those.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is just one of those inexplicable UA IT fart buy-up offers. We certainly see plenty of those.
Likely.

I just received the $99 upgrade offer from ORD to EWR tmr, operated on 767-300. I am curious if that is the TODs. If that gets me directly into P, then I wouldn't mind doing it for 3000 RDMs extra within promotions.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just received the $99 upgrade offer from ORD to EWR tmr, operated on 767-300. I am curious if that is the TODs. If that gets me directly into P, then I wouldn't mind doing it for 3000 RDMs extra within promotions.
If the price ends in "9" I assume it's an upgrade fee and will not accrue anything extra. Although you never know for sure, it could book into P and accrue extra PQD to boot.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

You can also make a comparison by searching business on the outbound and still W fare in the inbound. The system may calculate the one-way P fare if you book it as a round-trip(despite the return being non-P)
Torn on what to do here. The charge for my buyup never hit the account, and dropped from the pending list and now the statement closed. The booking still shows P with my BF seats on the outbound segments.

Do I say and do nothing and expect it will be flown as it sits now, or is there a risk of a check-in error and a bounce back to a coach middle seats on both flights on day of departure if I don't speak up and tell UA to double check the ticket?

I don't mind paying the $587, but I don't want them to decide the buy-up never went through properly and I either need to pay hundreds or thousands more today, or sit in coach because the R space for a GPU is gone.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
Buy-Up to J: How volatile is the cost?

New job, which is requiring more international travel, so I am learning the ins-and-outs of affordable J. I have a trip IAH-GRU at the end of April, and UA is currently asking $800 per leg to move from S into BusinessFirst. Thats kind of at the edge of what I can do with OPM, what are the chances that the cost will go down as departure nears? Whats UA's usual? I know loads from IAH to GRU have been terrible recently, so maybe a chance of a sale?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
What's the typical upsell offer for a TATL flight? Specifically, EWR-LHR.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by diburning
What's the typical upsell offer for a TATL flight? Specifically, EWR-LHR.
$1099 is typical,$899 is the lowest I remember seeing.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
This is what I saw on a EWR-LHR R/T I took this past weekend.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
$1099 is typical,$899 is the lowest I remember seeing.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-IAH

$292 on a 763 (2 class) in two weeks (from E). Plenty of available F seats, so debating whether to take it now or wait until OLCI. Last time got $179 at OLCI booked into F with 300% PQM. Anyone else rolled the dice on this before? I think ~$300 is a little high (for me) for a 1400 mile trip without certainty of at least 200% PQM.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
EWR-IAH

$292 on a 763 (2 class) in two weeks (from E). Plenty of available F seats, so debating whether to take it now or wait until OLCI. Last time got $179 at OLCI booked into F with 300% PQM. Anyone else rolled the dice on this before? I think ~$300 is a little high (for me) for a 1400 mile trip without certainty of at least 200% PQM.
If you're on the fence at $300 over an E fare, I would be buying F (or GG BUYUP-ing it) outright. $159 each way and no games. If this upsell is the "Buy Up to United First" option on the reservation page, it should be guaranteed to book into a revenue class with bonus PQM/PQD/RDM.

But if your flight has E space, you should still be able to call in and reticket for $159. And lots of higher bases also are better than $300 - I'm assuming "plenty of available seats" means your flight has A space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.