Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Anyone know why GG Buyup is so difficult? Most agents insist the change fee cannot be waived for buyups, and some of them, with prodding, will investigate, and a small number will agree and thank me for teaching them something new.

I understand airlines have a lot of policies and some agents at any given time will know know a particular policy. If this policy is real, why is there no training/guidance/consensus on this issue?

It seems to be an old policy. Are we sure this isn't just a special exception that is granted by the agents? I can't imagine a very old policy being so steadfastly refused/denied. I can't think of any other basic UA pricing policies that are as difficult to invoke, esp those that neither the website or the app recognizes. This feels like a secret menu item and I'm curious as to why?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks will check it out.

So Change Flights to a higher class than the tickets you booked so this is a way of upgrading?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
... So Change Flights to a higher class than the tickets you booked so this is a way of upgrading?
Yes, and the most reliable online method to make sure you get Class of Service PQM bonus.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Offered upgrade from J to F on SFO-HKG for $1189 at check in. If I didn't have a good seat on the upper deck of the 744, I might go for it considering it's nearly a 14-hour flight. Business is booked full with 8/12 confirmed in first.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if a $ buyup or $ + miles buyup causes a ticket reissue? I have an LH flight on 016 paper and LH dumps and forfeits any paid upgrades if the ticket is reissued.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Ronlap
Does anyone know if a $ buyup or $ + miles buyup causes a ticket reissue? I have an LH flight on 016 paper and LH dumps and forfeits any paid upgrades if the ticket is reissued.
I don't know if these types of upgrades cause a ticket re-issue or note, but I have had occasions where connections from UA to both LH & SA had problems that took a long time to sort out at the connecting airport.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:12 pm

LAX-ORD, held at $96 two days ago. Current price is $612 in economy and $811 in first, with F2 C2 A2 D2.
I paid my ticket and was offered $199 to upgrade, took it and booked into A.

Now I understand why UA elites are having a hard time CPUing...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jiangning
LAX-ORD, held at $96 two days ago. Current price is $612 in economy and $811 in first, with F2 C2 A2 D2.
I paid my ticket and was offered $199 to upgrade, took it and booked into A.

Now I understand why UA elites are having a hard time CPUing...
Pretty disgusting for HVF's that typically pay $500+ in U/H/Q/E/M for that segment... and that segment is notorious for R/PN=0 .... very difficult for even GS to upgrade into first class on those flights without paying full first class fare outright at booking.... LAX/SFO-ORD... I rarely get upgraded on these unless I purchase F/A/Z/P.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:27 pm

I am offered $729 to upgrade to BF on my IAH-AMS flight tomorrow. Does this book into P (which would prompt me to buy it) or do these offers for BF always book into ZN?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
I am offered $729 to upgrade to BF on my IAH-AMS flight tomorrow. Does this book into P (which would prompt me to buy it) or do these offers for BF always book into ZN?
Pretty sure this would not be P. Within 24hrs and price ending in 9...I think that is the classic version of a non-ticket changing upgrade sell (UFC - Upgrade for Cash).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Hi I bought a SAP-IAH and IAH-LHR with miles X fare for tomorrow 08/05/2016.

SAP-IAH: 109$ at OLCI and I accepted. I was booked in Class R.
IAH-LHR: 909$ at OLCI and I declined. I was willing to give up to 500$, is this a normal price for this type of upgrade.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by miranda.mario
Hi I bought a SAP-IAH and IAH-LHR with miles X fare for tomorrow 08/05/2016.

SAP-IAH: 109$ at OLCI and I accepted. I was booked in Class R.
IAH-LHR: 909$ at OLCI and I declined. I was willing to give up to 500$, is this a normal price for this type of upgrade.
Yes. Anything $500 or less for Y->J on IAH->LHR is going to be very rare...and not always even offered on an X fare.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by fivesixseven

How full was the BF Cabin from the seat map? While I know that not definitive from booked perspective, it can give a general indication.

Taking this flight in a couple of weeks with the wife and thinking about doing either the miles + copay (wait listed) or wait for UFC at check for her, since its her B-day a few days later. (I'll tough it out in coach). Right now the BF cabin on the 777 shows half the BF seats available.

So its choice of $550+miles or a roll of dice on a better value.

Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I'm seeing $229 all day long (in-app) for LAX-IAH in a 789. I'm somewhat tempted, but I don't really need it since I've got a bulkhead-window with what looks like an empty middle (and plenty of empty E+ rows too).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
A few data points:

EZE-IAH, G fare, $1199 at OLCI, no one bit and plane went out with 8 empty BF seats
IAH-EWR (2-class 763), G fare, $179 at OLCI for the last open seat in BF, tempting but was attempting to SDC to an earlier flight
IAH-EWR (73G), somehow agent rebooked me into full Y, $149 offered in app
EWR-NRT, S fare, $1799 at OLCI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.