Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
You're supposed to look at it as a challenge: can you drink $80 of liquor in 80 minutes??
At UA costs for its selections, that could be tough
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I'd just turn it into a straight drinking challenge - drink as much as you can on the plane, and then total it up. If you can drink $80 of cheap wine at store cost and make it to the gate, you're a true champ
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just went from K to bizfirst SFO-FRA for $869 with no miles at boarding. Original PQD shows as $76 and minimum PQD-eligible upgrade is $4K so I guess this is a score.

Last edited by Ronlap; Aug 22, 2016 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by megalab
DCA-ORD on ERJ 175
V fare, 3 seats available, 1 person on upgrade list.
Special Offer! $79 instead of $109, all 3 seats for sale at that price.
Offered at mobile app check-in; declined.

Unless maybe in the single seats, F on that plane, for that short a flight, isn't that much better than Y + free drink coupon.
Update: One hour before flight time price is back to $109 (though E+ dropped to $49). Still 3 seats available, but now four people on the upgrade list. Of note, the offer explicitly mentioned the number of people on the upgrade list, as if that would make someone more likely to buy?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by fumje
You're supposed to look at it as a challenge: can you drink $80 of liquor in 80 minutes??
My thoughts exactly! ^

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2016 at 6:55 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
Ok, somewhat new to the airlines reward game. I purchased an economy saver award flight ORD - LAS connecting through IAD. The IAD - LAS leg is UA461. The whole flight was 10,000 points. Currently I can upgrade the that second leg to economy plus for between $99 and $123 depending on seat location. Does this often (or ever) go down in price? Is there a best time to watch? For the 5 hour flight I would be willing to spend some money for leg room and probably more importantly power, but probably not $100, not sure if that is worth that much. Also, will I earn points on that purchase? In case anyone needs to know I have no status but do have the MP credit card.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by treydawgmt
I purchased an economy saver award flight ORD - LAS connecting through IAD. The IAD - LAS leg is UA461. The whole flight was 10,000 points. Currently I can upgrade the that second leg to economy plus for between $99 and $123 depending on seat location. Does this often (or ever) go down in price? Is there a best time to watch?
Not really an upgrade, just a seat with more legroom. If you've been watching for more than a week or so, you've probably seen the full range of prices UA will offer. You will not earn miles on the purchase.

$99 seems steep for that flight (which is under 4 hours). You might get offered a buy-up to first class in the same price range. That would be a better deal.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not really an upgrade, just a seat with more legroom. If you've been watching for more than a week or so, you've probably seen the full range of prices UA will offer. You will not earn miles on the purchase.

$99 seems steep for that flight (which is under 4 hours). You might get offered a buy-up to first class in the same price range. That would be a better deal.
Thanks. Didn't seem that great of a deal. Only confirmed the flight this morning so I will watch for awhile. I would do the upgrade to first for that price for sure, that is something they email me, right? I remember getting offered to purchase first on some other flights but can't remember how it came. And thanks for confirming no points. I did not think so, but I couldn't remember what I had read. And United lists the flight time as 5 hr 21 minutes.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by treydawgmt
United lists the flight time as 5 hr 21 minutes.
Sorry, I missed the part where you are connecting ORD-IAD-LAS. ORD-LAS would be under 4 hours.

If there's a buy-up offer, it will come at online check-in or after. They don't send e-mails.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Here is a good one that I jumped on.

LAX-IAD
$269
K class to A class
Had an RPU waitlisted with just 1 seat to upgrade and 20 people on list with me in 3rd position. Jumped on it about 7 hours prior to flight.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
PDX-SFO
$99
T-fare
Declined. I will roll the dice and hope for CPU.

Last edited by kluau88; Aug 28, 2016 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Here is a good one that I jumped on.

LAX-IAD
$269
K class to A class
Had an RPU waitlisted with just 1 seat to upgrade and 20 people on list with me in 3rd position. Jumped on it about 7 hours prior to flight.
That's a great deal. Good job!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
PHL-IAD-PIT

Y->F ~$429 currently on offer
Part of a larger itinerary.

It's a tough decision, but .. no.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Chances of "buy-up" upgrade on United operated, ANA codeshare international flight

Hi folks, I have an international trip coming up and bought an United codeshared flight with ANA (one leg United, another leg ANA). What do you think are my chances of being offered a buy-up upgrade to business class at check-in? I know there is zero chance I'm getting upgraded by any means for the ANA leg, but is there a chance for the United leg (EWR-NRT)?

Right now it is a week before check-in, and they are showing me the option to pay 30,000 miles + $600 co-pay to upgrade from Economy to Business for just the EWR to NRT leg of the trip on United. Was wondering if I should take the plunge or should I wait for a better offer on check-in day since looking at the seat map right now it looks like there are plenty of Business class seats open (Sep 1 flight EWR 1115am to NRT, UA 79).

I guess the answer might be predicated on a couple other questions too:

1. Does united offer buy-up at check-in for codeshare flights that are 1 leg United, 1 leg codeshared airline?
2. Does United offer buy-up at check-in for international codeshare flights?

Just curious if anyone had any recent examples such as the above scenario!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Not sure about upgrade opportunities, but ANA also has a nice premium economy product if you are looking to find a happy medium between product and price.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Not sure about upgrade opportunities, but ANA also has a nice premium economy product if you are looking to find a happy medium between product and price.
Unfortunately I bought a United codeshare because the combination of EWRNRT on United and NRTSIN on ANA was much cheaper for my trip than just ANA alone. RT EWRSIN only US$650!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.