Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
$269 IAD-SAN with F 18/20 at the time. Declined. It was tempting, but without extra PQD and RDM, it was not worth the upgrade over a nice E+ seat. 2 hours later F was full.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
$99 SFO-SAN. 1K on a U.

Not even tempted. CPU cleared at the gate. Debated keeping 7A, which I actually prefer in some ways to the 738 F seat. Row 7 went out completely empty A-F.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
I'm currently at EWR waiting for my flight to NRT on UA79. It's two hours before take off, and the OLCI offer is at $1,969 for the EWRNRT leg. I'm obviously not going to take that offer but I have a couple questions for the experts here!

1) there are still 16 out of 50 BusinessFirst seats open on the seat map. Does UA try to Lower the OLCI prices as the flight comes closer to boarding?

2) there are currently 11 people on the "Upgrade Waitlist". Who are these people? I'm a United noob so I read the website and it says for global routes you need a Global Premier Upgrade certificate. Are these 11 people all United 1Ks that have GPU that haven't cleared despite there being 16 open seats in BusinessFirst?

3) I'm a United Gold. What are my chances of getting a better OLCI offer this close to boarding, and I'm sure there is no chance of a operational upgrade right? Despite there being so many open seats?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
I'm currently at EWR waiting for my flight to NRT on UA79. It's two hours before take off, and the OLCI offer is at $1,969 for the EWRNRT leg. I'm obviously not going to take that offer but I have a couple questions for the experts here!

1) there are still 16 out of 50 BusinessFirst seats open on the seat map. Does UA try to Lower the OLCI prices as the flight comes closer to boarding?

2) there are currently 11 people on the "Upgrade Waitlist". Who are these people? I'm a United noob so I read the website and it says for global routes you need a Global Premier Upgrade certificate. Are these 11 people all United 1Ks that have GPU that haven't cleared despite there being 16 open seats in BusinessFirst?

3) I'm a United Gold. What are my chances of getting a better OLCI offer this close to boarding, and I'm sure there is no chance of a operational upgrade right? Despite there being so many open seats?
2) Would be NRSAs (you can tell if they are on standby list as well) and folks of any status that have applied an instrument upgrade but has not cleared due to R=0 (and, if there are GS on the waitlist, PN=0).
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
2) Would be NRSAs (you can tell if they are on standby list as well) and folks of any status that have applied an instrument upgrade but has not cleared due to R=0 (and, if there are GS on the waitlist, PN=0).
Got it that's very helpful. And by the way, just to clarify, UA Premier 1Ks don't even get wait listed or put on the upgrade list UNLESS they apply for a GPU certificate right?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:53 am

just to clarify, UA Premier 1Ks don't even get wait listed or put on the upgrade list UNLESS they apply for a GPU certificate right?
Correct. If you're looking at the standby/upgrade list now, you'll see REY, M is first on standby but fifth on the upgrade list. To me, it would reason that REY, M is the first non-revenue space-available passenger and that numbers 1-4 on the upgrade list are applying GPUs. With < T-3, the gate agent would be processing these upgrades.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
EWR-pek, $739, from Irrops rebooked Y class. It is a good deal, but I still hesitate to take it. Advice?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by mario02423
Correct. If you're looking at the standby/upgrade list now, you'll see REY, M is first on standby but fifth on the upgrade list. To me, it would reason that REY, M is the first non-revenue space-available passenger and that numbers 1-4 on the upgrade list are applying GPUs. With < T-3, the gate agent would be processing these upgrades.
Got it. So wow, they got 7 staff flying on business to Japan? Not too shab to be an employee!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:26 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Kmxu
EWR-pek, $739, from Irrops rebooked Y class. It is a good deal, but I still hesitate to take it. Advice?
A bargain for such a long flight. Take it.

My SFO-HKG was $1079 the other day, by comparison.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:34 am

Got it. So wow, they got 7 staff flying on business to Japan? Not too shab to be an employee!
Likely employees (other airline employees are eligible but with quirks) taking a short trip or quick vacation, but yeah! Very common to see. The prices for UA employees vary, but economy domestic seats are usually free (sometimes there might be a weird tax) -- higher cabins are super cheap but not free. I regularly flew as NRSA on UA to Amsterdam in business class and was shocked at sticker price. Surprised my grandmother for dinner one night... that was a treat. Enjoy your travels!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

There's no data I'm aware of to dictate trends. The offer may or may not change, but I don't think it's been demonstrated to move in any known direction (like lower if there are more unsold seats).

It's a common misconception, but your op-up chances are not really dictated by the number of open J seats. Op-ups are not "gifts" to elites made from abundant inventory. They occur when a lower cabin doesn't have enough seats and they need to hand out the op-ups to give everyone a seat on the plane.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Kacee
International get reported from time to time, including recently. (There was an infamous IT fart several years ago where someone's GF upgraded Y-GF on SIN-NRT-US for around $25.)
I'm surprised UA permitted it and didn't tell the person no sorry, mistake and we will not honor it.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by findark
There's no data I'm aware of to dictate trends. The offer may or may not change, but I don't think it's been demonstrated to move in any known direction (like lower if there are more unsold seats).

It's a common misconception, but your op-up chances are not really dictated by the number of open J seats. Op-ups are not "gifts" to elites made from abundant inventory. They occur when a lower cabin doesn't have enough seats and they need to hand out the op-ups to give everyone a seat on the plane.
Thanks this is very helpful. But I guess that begs the question how useful status are even if you go for premier 1K. Yes you get some GPU and RPU certs, but I guess that's about it if you run out of them. Alas, I guess that just means we have to get to a point in life where we can afford Biz fare all the time!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks this is very helpful. But I guess that begs the question how useful status are even if you go for premier 1K. Yes you get some GPU and RPU certs, but I guess that's about it if you run out of them. ...
On internationally (outside of North America and other CPU routes) there are no comp upgrades but there on all CPU routes. Also there is much more to status than just upgrades (a key element for many). There are no change fees for award for higher elites (Plats a re being dinged in the up coming change), there is improved handing in irrops, free food / drink if not upgraded, there is E+ access for up to 8 (great for families), higher RDM earnings, higher bag allowance, .... But this is the perennial discussion topic for FT --
but as this is the UFC/PCU thread, the status issue is better discussed in other threads, such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-platinum.html
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:52 am

HKG-SFO C to F

Offered $1249 for HKG-SFO C to F. C and Y are full...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.