Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus® Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus® Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
This number has to be low, very low because EWR,IAH,SFO,LAX,DEN and ORD are miles away from downtown areas that would be convenient for a quick business meeting on a domestic layover. For those coming from a downtown area that is.

Look at SAN, SAN has no or extreme limited connections for commuter flights in a different terminal but it's close to downtown to where I could see meeting a biz partner or friend before their flight. Unless you live next to EWR,SFO,LAX this would make no sense.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
This number has to be low, very low because EWR,IAH,SFO,LAX,DEN and ORD are miles away from downtown areas that would be convenient for a quick business meeting on a domestic layover. For those coming from a downtown area that is.

Look at SAN, SAN has no or extreme limited connections for commuter flights in a different terminal but it's close to downtown to where I could see meeting a biz partner or friend before their flight. Unless you live next to EWR,SFO,LAX this would make no sense.
Absolutely. Over the past years, I do remember one time, when I flew OAL and used the RCC. In many airports it requires change of terminals and even passing security (2x - coming & going). In others it often means long walks.
With most folks generally waiting some 30 - 60 minutes (?) for a flight to board, this virtually becomes a non-issue.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD

I still agree the number is low .

But I think you're looking at it backwards. Going to keep using ORD as my example. It's not about how long the person who lives in Chicago has to drive. It's about how long of a layover the person flying has, and their ability to leave the airport, drive downtown, have a meeting, and get back for their flight. THAT's what doesn't make sense. I'm willing to drive the 20 minutes (outside of rush hour) each way to ORD to meet with a client because I'm here all day and I can manage my time. But that person may not have an extra 40 minutes to drive back and forth during their layover so meeting in the airport is the only way to make it work.

Edit to add: For all the times I've been in a UC, I can't remember one time I've seen a conference room being used. This all contributes to the silliness of this new rule. Why make a change that angers a few customers with no discernible benefit to the company?

Last edited by JBord; Aug 17, 2015 at 11:15 am Reason: add personal observation
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I still agree the number is low .

But I think you're looking at it backwards. Going to keep using ORD as my example. It's not about how long the person who lives in Chicago has to drive. It's about how long of a layover the person flying has, and their ability to leave the airport, drive downtown, have a meeting, and get back for their flight. THAT's what doesn't make sense. I'm willing to drive the 20 minutes (outside of rush hour) each way to ORD to meet with a client because I'm here all day and I can manage my time. But that person may not have an extra 40 minutes to drive back and forth during their layover so meeting in the airport is the only way to make it work.

Edit to add: For all the times I've been in a UC, I can't remember one time I've seen a conference room being use. This all contributes to the silliness of this new rule. Why make a change that angers a few customers with no discernible benefit to the company?
Agreed good point, meeting at the Hilton Bar at ORD would be a lot easier and enjoyable for both IMO. I think the airport meetings have evolved with Facetime, Video Conferencing but I see your point.

I think going to the Hilton Bar would be better, heck if the schedules permitted, get a room for your buddy at a Hilton hotel or other fortress hub and spend 20 hours shooting the breeze. Cheaper, less stressful and shower, nap and change.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
This language was not contained in the invitation for Lifetime membership during the CO Presidents Club and UA Red Carpet Club early years. It appears that UA is simply notifying its annual members that after one more year, a boarding pass is required, and it's highly unlikely that it will enforce this policy against Lifetime members who were promised access regardless of boarding pass. Lifetime members were grandfathered when CO, for a few years, began charging for drinks. These members had Black Lifetime cards and had to display them to get drinks. Also, since UA hasn't updated its website and UA Insider has not provided illumination, perhaps not all details have been finalized.
A similar situation with use of a meeting room at the Red Carpet Club. Several years ago, they started charging for it. But, after some protests, they grandfathered lifetime members into free use of a meeting room for up to four hours.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Annandaler
A similar situation with use of a meeting room at the Red Carpet Club. Several years ago, they started charging for it. But, after some protests, they grandfathered lifetime members into free use of a meeting room for up to four hours.
So is that the workaround for LT members?
Book a conference room to get gate passes
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
So is that the workaround for LT members?
Book a conference room to get gate passes

The last thing all LT-members / MM flyers I can think of want, is to spend more time at an airport.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
This language was not contained in the invitation for Lifetime membership during the CO Presidents Club and UA Red Carpet Club early years. It appears that UA is simply notifying its annual members that after one more year, a boarding pass is required, and it's highly unlikely that it will enforce this policy against Lifetime members who were promised access regardless of boarding pass. Lifetime members were grandfathered when CO, for a few years, began charging for drinks. These members had Black Lifetime cards and had to display them to get drinks. Also, since UA hasn't updated its website and UA Insider has not provided illumination, perhaps not all details have been finalized.
And lifetime MM benefits on United was to mean 2 CRU (RPU) per year for life, and lifetime Premier Exec benefits. And what happened?

They hold all the cards. Smile and wave.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Gate passes certainly may have something to do with this, but I also think there may be a handful of other nuisances they might be targeting. I do not know this for sure but it's certainly possible that multiple Clubs have a few non traveling regulars...some who come around just for something to do, others who come to take advantage of the liquor. These folks get noticed and mentioned.

When I was a kid my grandpa went for long walks most weekdays and he'd always stop at the bank whether he needed to or not. Many other retired guys from the neighborhood would do the same and they'd all sit there for an hour and eat the free cookies and drink the coffee and flirt with the tellers who were mostly over 30 years younger. It was just for something to do to fill the day..and get out of grandma's hair.

For a retired frequent flyer with a lifetime membership in the Club who knows their way around an airport.. it's something to do and it would not surprise me one bit if there were some out there who came regularly to eat, drink, and even snooze for a few hours.

There might be others too.. the unemployed former biz travelers...etc..
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:25 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
-UA Insider
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Gate passes certainly may have something to do with this, but I also think there may be a handful of other nuisances they might be targeting. I do not know this for sure but it's certainly possible that multiple Clubs have a few non traveling regulars...some who come around just for something to do, others who come to take advantage of the liquor. These folks get noticed and mentioned.

When I was a kid my grandpa went for long walks most weekdays and he'd always stop at the bank whether he needed to or not. Many other retired guys from the neighborhood would do the same and they'd all sit there for an hour and eat the free cookies and drink the coffee and flirt with the tellers who were mostly over 30 years younger. It was just for something to do to fill the day..and get out of grandma's hair.

For a retired frequent flyer with a lifetime membership in the Club who knows their way around an airport.. it's something to do and it would not surprise me one bit if there were some out there who came regularly to eat, drink, and even snooze for a few hours.

And what percentage of UC visitors might this conceivably be? Surely it is insignificant in numbers (and cost to UA) compared to the many (on this forum and elsewhere) who will not be renewing their memberships because of this change.

-UA Insider
So why not simply stop issuing gate passes to members? (per GG Checkpoint Line 65) Then, no change needs to be implemented at the Club door.

And what about Life UC members who signed up years ago with the understanding that this was one of the benefits of membership?

Last edited by Annandaler; Aug 17, 2015 at 2:37 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Annandaler
And what percentage of UC visitors might this conceivably be? Surely it is insignificant in numbers (and cost to UA) compared to the many (on this forum and elsewhere) who will not be renewing their memberships because of this change.
A handful of nuisances... would not make a significant difference in crowding. Whether this change is due to a request by the TSA or because UA is tired of accommodating people who overuse their memberships.. I have no idea.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR

There was an article or "news" piece awhile back that mentioned someone like that. Using an airline lounge as their office / neighborhood bar (no idea if it was United Club or other).

I can't find the piece now, but I have to imagine this type of visitor is exceedingly rare and could be handle in a manner less impact-ful to other members.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle

-UA Insider
When will the effective date be? 2015 or 2016?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by TXbizman
When will the effective date be? 2015 or 2016?
8/18/16

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.