Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if Im flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by enviroian
This means nothing to me. I only fly United and have ever only used the club when flying. If this means it will thin out the crowds I'm all for it but for the life of me I can't think this will have any effect on crowd size (if that's what the objective is here in the first place).
Although I fly several airlines, my view is similar since I've only used United Clubs when flying United. And this rule change (if indeed it is) would be what I thought the rule was all along.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Current state: have UC membership, flying on WN with BP in hand - access? I presume Yes. Only place I fly where I could do this is probably DEN.

Future state same scenario? I would have a BP, after all
Appears inevitable that to "guarantee a more exclusive experience" only UA same-day BP's eventually will get you in.

Wait for it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Appears inevitable that to "guarantee a more exclusive experience" only UA same-day BP's eventually will get you in.

Wait for it.
I smell an opportunity for AMEX Centurion clubs to fill the void and expand.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
In my opinion, this is completely incorrect. One has spent for that day. They purchased lounge access. Somehow, someway. Whether credit card or Lifetime Membership or Regular Membership. They HAVE spent for that day. That is the whole point of getting a membership.

If UA wants to change the rules, that is up to them. But it does not mean that people today have NOT spent for their time in the club, even if not flying United.
While I respect your opinion, UA doesn't feel that way anymore and they are changing the rules to your relationship. Membership to their club not your or our club, are two different statements. Their club their rules. I personally hope no one ever steps into a club again and then just maybe UA will realize what a club should really deliver to paying customers.

I once had a lifetime membership to a tennis club until it closed two years into my lifetime membership. Got ten cents back on each dollar for the buy in. I whined for a few days and moved on. A few years ago I bought a car wash membership, car wash went out business too. Stop whining and let your money do the talking. The old club days are gone. Have been. Nothing new here.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
They were able to bring in 2 guests or family with their complimentary SkyClub membership. Now they have to pay up for Executive level or give up a 'choice benefit.'

UA hasn't cut guest benefits. I'm guessing because there was no legacy handing out of club membership to elites.

UA's guilt here is a poorly worded sign that makes it unclear you can use any airline's boarding pass.
Well, we can agree the communication was stupid.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
UA's guilt here is a poorly worded sign that makes it unclear you can use any airline's boarding pass.
For now, yes.

You have to be on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport to access United Club with a partner pass.

Hardly a stretch to imagine the "any airline's boarding pass" courtesy will end.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by sb3
This is the 2nd bullet under misc on the terms and conditions page, bolding mine:

United reserves the right to modify pricing, benefits, services, hours, club locations and reciprocal lounge agreements at any time with or without written notice to its members and customers.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...virtual_expert
This language was not contained in the invitation for Lifetime membership during the CO Presidents Club and UA Red Carpet Club early years. It appears that UA is simply notifying its annual members that after one more year, a boarding pass is required, and it's highly unlikely that it will enforce this policy against Lifetime members who were promised access regardless of boarding pass. Lifetime members were grandfathered when CO, for a few years, began charging for drinks. These members had Black Lifetime cards and had to display them to get drinks. Also, since UA hasn't updated its website and UA Insider has not provided illumination, perhaps not all details have been finalized.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
For now, yes.

You have to be on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport to access United Club with a partner pass.

Hardly a stretch to imagine the "any airline's boarding pass" courtesy will end.
That's a logical next step. They don't seem to value the membership fees, and if you fly DL, for example, and use a UC they can't tie any revenue to that transaction, just cost. Same with the gate pass scenario, which is probably why they're eliminating it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
There are a lot of reasons that the UC has stopped being an "exclusive experience" but I don't think the fully paid member on an occasional gate pass is one of them. Guess they need to pay for the enhancements (i.e. salami) somehow.

Just going to have to make dummy bookings like I did with Amex Plat back in the day.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
There are a lot of reasons that the UC has stopped being an "exclusive experience" but I don't think the fully paid member on an occasional gate pass is one of them. Guess they need to pay for the enhancements (i.e. salami) somehow.

Just going to have to make dummy bookings like I did with Amex Plat back in the day.
What do you mean dummy booking? Book a full fare refundable ticket just to go to the lounge on days your suppose to be home or not traveling? Seems like a lot of work and potential risk to get into a club.

Do people really go to the beer and cheese club when not flying? I thought that was a urban legend. How many folks do this? 10 a day? At LAX or SFO it's not easy, parking, gas, travel time to go to the club at the airport? I am totally floored by this concept and people have the time, gas money, parking money to do this. How often do you really do this? Do you live close to your hometown airport?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS
Another Perspective

A few years ago, the JFK Oasis Club in Terminal 4 was outside Security and I would use the club when traveling on either United or Delta (with Priority Pass). The Oasis club required a boarding pass (didn't matter if the flight departed from T4), which I thought was unnecessary since they were going to charge the visit to Priority Pass.

After thinking about this, I realize a plausible reason for a boarding pass is to curb airport personnel abuse. The Oasis club resembles an International club, with real, hot food, an open bar, showers, etc. If you were an employee working at JFK and the Oasis club didn't require a boarding pass, why not pay for Priority Pass and take advantage of the club to get lunch/dinner? If you divided the $400 annual membership by 250 (50 weeks, 5 days), it works out to $1.60 per day. This would be a bargain for a meal and a couple of drinks.

While the United clubs are not as nice, it still would be a bargain if, as an airport employee, you went in daily for a quick snack or a drink.

Note, I'm not saying that this is the reason for the boarding pass requirement. However, some enterprising airline employee would figure this out and take advantage of this loophole. Although I'm assuming the T&C of membership probably includes a general clause that says they can refuse admittance at their own discretion.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
What do you mean dummy booking? Book a full fare refundable ticket just to go to the lounge on days your suppose to be home or not traveling? Seems like a lot of work and potential risk to get into a club.

Do people really go to the beer and cheese club when not flying? I thought that was a urban legend. How many folks do this? 10 a day? At LAX or SFO it's not easy, parking, gas, travel time to go to the club at the airport? I am totally floored by this concept and people have the time, gas money, parking money to do this. How often do you really do this? Do you live close to your hometown airport?
I think you're going a little too far out. How about a day, when somebody is travelling on OAL?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD

I agree with all your points, that's the point of this thread IMO. A few exceptions have been noted here, but I think you've nailed it. This is why it's such a ridiculous change, the "abuse" has to be extremely low, yet UA is making a point of outlawing it. Why?

There are legitimate reasons -- such as a client is flying through ORD, and requests I meet with them in the airport during their layover. Using the UC meeting room would make sense and while I'd prefer not to, I would drive out and park to meet with the client.

So for those few times it's really important to use the club when not flying, why does UA choose to anger it's paying customers? There can't really be a substantial cost benefit to them, and it obviously won't have an impact on crowding in the clubs. Not to mention they must realize their best customers are all a little sensitive after all the "enhancements" they've brought us over the last few years.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
12 pages of posts and still crickets from UA Insider.

*shrugs*
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
12 pages of posts and still crickets from UA Insider.

*shrugs*
When is the last time UA Insider even chimed in to any thread, other than to announce something.

It appears that the days are long gone when we got clarifications, useful and interesting information from that source.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.