Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if Im flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by fly18725
I don't think one can reasonably compare a health club to an airport club. One model is based on overselling with a large number of non-active, but paying, members. The other is based on serving a captive audience (quite literally) with literally no opportunity to expand in the areas where capacity is most constrained. Can you image hearing, "I'm sorry the LGA club is full. Perhaps you'd like to try our JFK location instead."
Then don't sell or oversell what you can't accommodate the business paradigm remains the same.
If you can't expand the clubs you have to accommodate the membership levels you have sold, isn't that a bit similar to selling something you don't have?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
If the policy is same day boarding pass on UA or *A required, I won't be renewing my United card next year.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Just a couple weeks ago I went ahead and canceled my presidential plus card, since I haven't flown united in months and have no intention to do so anytime soon. My one regret at the time was that I would lose the ability to grab a gate pass to access the club when picking people up at the airport. I guess that'll no longer be an issue. Glad I canceled the PPlus card when I did.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
That's very interesting.

I have been told twice in the last few months (once a week ago), once in SEA and once in ORD that I was not allowed to enter because I had a ticket on another airline. So they're thinking about it. In fact, last week they offered to sell me a pass for $35, but I blustered my way in. At the time I thought that this was quite an increase in annual membership costs - from 7 one-day passes to 15 - but maybe it's instead a way to monetize UC members: charge them $35 if they have a ticket on another airline.
I think if this happens I may as well give up my PP card and go enjoy the shopping at SEA instead of hauling all the way to the UC when I'm flying Alaska. Right now I avoid this by simply handing over my membership card and a license so it obviates the need to show them any type of boarding pass.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Devaluation?

I almost never use the clubs anymore. Crap food. Overcrowded. So they wont allow
me in if I don't have a boarding pass? In the 30+ years travelling with UA, I have never
attempted that anyway.

Terminals in many of my frequent airports are getting pretty nice. This is just another
reason to let my "membership" lapse when they raise the rates this year
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swixo

Terminals in many of my frequent airports are getting pretty nice. This is just another
reason to let my "membership" lapse when they raise the rates this year
This was an important point for me. Last year I was on the fence about renewing, and it was because so many airports now offer free internet, along with the fact that I'd found myself spending more time at airport restaurants due to the quality of food in the clubs and on the planes. Even though I used the clubs a lot, it was starting to feel like I was using them just because I had paid, rather than getting much benefit (although I did drink a lot of coffee and a good number of the free beers).

When the price increase was announced, it became easy.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

When I could not get back to the gate with my elderly MIL in SFO, I used the gate pass for the club. This right was very poorly managed, to the point that I had to argue for the agent to call the club. Sad that I could not just be allowed back with her. No doubt UA will just as poorly train this process change, and we'll all be posting in the coming months about which clubs are "friendly" and which aren't.

To make the clubs really "exclusive" they'd need to disallow access to the woman in SEA that had her two feet propped up in two different chairs, blocking access to the aisle, with her luggage in the way, and an open leg wound festering for all to see. Or disallowing access to the family of 8, where 6 of them (the wife and 5 kids) were so badly behaved as to drive people from the entire south corner. Or the self-important exec that spent so much time on the phone boasting about how great he was, that no less than 10 people shhhh'd him and asked him to leave.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
To make the clubs really "exclusive" they'd need to disallow access to the woman in SEA that had her two feet propped up in two different chairs, blocking access to the aisle, with her luggage in the way, and an open leg wound festering for all to see. Or disallowing access to the family of 8, where 6 of them (the wife and 5 kids) were so badly behaved as to drive people from the entire south corner. Or the self-important exec that spent so much time on the phone boasting about how great he was, that no less than 10 people shhhh'd him and asked him to leave.
Love those examples - we've all seen similar situations in the clubs before. Presumably they all had same day boarding passes, so they were contributing to the "exclusive experience" in the club! And when you bring the situation to the attention of an agent, they invariably beg-off doing anything about it.

Where is UAInsider? I would like to hear what problem this new policy is trying to address.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz
Oh, I know we'll just limit when people can come...great, oh, damn you mean someone will start a class action against us? Or worse they will cancel and take their membership to Golds. No, they would be intelligent enough to expand, so they could sell yet more memberships, and make yet more money.

Only the idiots at United would see the success of something as a disaster they must mitigate.
Or the 'idiots' at Delta who cut off guest access in response to success instead of expanding clubs? Yes it's 'only' United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2015 at 2:58 pm Reason: Focus on the issues, not the posters
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
A few points here on this topic:

1. Some of you still think that 1985=2016. The old clubs are long gone and not coming back unless you fly F on Emirates or other international big airlines.
2. CC holders > paid members, get over it. They hold a card in which interest is earned, money, and you don't. They are way more valuable than your history and buy in card. Loyalty is found in the dictionary not in the lounge.
3. As I have stated before, whoever is paying for lounge access is a fool. For some reason you still think your important or privileged but I can buy a day pass to the 'club' at anytime and UA loves to sell them to me. The food and bar choices are pathetic as airports have really stepped up to the plate with better food options than 1985 and Wendy's. While I understand the point that it's quieter and less busier and a little less stressful on long layovers I still call bologna. Keep buying your access because enjoying the 'devaluation' thread is making my Sunday morning read.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
A few points here on this topic:

1. Some of you still think that 1985=2016. The old clubs are long gone and not coming back unless you fly F on Emirates or other international big airlines.
2. CC holders > paid members, get over it. They hold a card in which interest is earned, money, and you don't. They are way more valuable than your history and buy in card. Loyalty is found in the dictionary not in the lounge.
3. As I have stated before, whoever is paying for lounge access is a fool. For some reason you still think your important or privileged but I can buy a day pass to the 'club' at anytime and UA loves to sell them to me. The food and bar choices are pathetic as airports have really stepped up to the plate with better food options than 1985 and Wendy's. While I understand the point that it's quieter and less busier and a little less stressful on long layovers I still call bologna. Keep buying your access because enjoying the 'devaluation' thread is making my Sunday morning read.
Hey!! I take exception to this post!
I LIKE Wendy's. 😀
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
To whom? UA? I have always been curious about this, so if you can provide some tangible insight that would be great.

SunLover
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by edweird
If the policy is same day boarding pass on UA or *A required, I won't be renewing my United card next year.
The policy will be any same day boarding pass.
Still, I'm not happy about lose gate passes and club access. That was something that was included with my lifetime membership and now it's being taken away.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:02 am

This was just cause more work for UA....now I will just book a ticket that day and get in the club and then cancel.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by dank0014
This was just cause more work for UA....now I will just book a ticket that day and get in the club and then cancel.
Is the club really worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.