Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat

Hello beautiful people, happy new year!

I have a particular question related to club lounge access, but the question is not whether I have access, but whether they will change the loyalty # on my ticket.

The question:
When trying to access the Club lounge for short haul domestic using ANA *G status, does that # need to be on the boarding pass, or does my ANA card suffice (and have United # on boarding pass)

When accessing the lounge for short domestic flights, like SFO-PDX.
Basically, I am trying to get PQF for my Untied status. So I need my United # on my boarding pass.

But I have ANA Plat / *Gold membership which gives me domestic club lounge access for these flights.

But does the ANA # need to be on the itinerary? I'm afraid that if I just show my ANA card, they will try to "fix" it into my boarding pass to give me access and not let me keep my United # for the flight. I don't want to risk changing it back later.

When I was reading the access rules online, I could not figure out this technicality in the verbiage shown.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you.

Last edited by bunkunu; Jan 1, 2023 at 4:46 am
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bunkunu
Hello beautiful people, happy new year!

I have a particular question related to club lounge access, but the question is not whether I have access, but whether they will change the loyalty # on my ticket.

The question:
When trying to access the Club lounge for short haul domestic using ANA *G status, does that # need to be on the boarding pass, or does my ANA card suffice (and have United # on boarding pass)

When accessing the lounge for short domestic flights, like SFO-PDX.
Basically, I am trying to get PQF for my Untied status. So I need my United # on my boarding pass.

But I have ANA Plat / *Gold membership which gives me domestic club lounge access for these flights.

But does the ANA # need to be on the itinerary? I'm afraid that if I just show my ANA card, they will try to "fix" it into my boarding pass to give me access and not let me keep my United # for the flight. I don't want to risk changing it back later.

When I was reading the access rules online, I could not figure out this technicality in the verbiage shown.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thank you.
Your card should be enough for entry. *A is pretty clear that it is sufficient. UA Clubs can be a bit pesky with this and they might try to change it to your ANA#. Tell them not to ... if they still do it, change it back at the gate
SPN Lifer and bunkunu like this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm at SNA now with Alaska flight to SFO leaving shortly & United flight this afternoon from SFO back to SNA. My United boarding pass scanned green at the United Club, but both agents at the desk refused me entry. They claim the rule is that because my flight out of SNA isn't on United & my return flight into SNA hasn't arrived yet, I'm not allowed in. I'm pretty sure they're just making up a rule that doesn't exist. Any thoughts about this? They initially tried to tell me not to even scan my boarding pass, but I said, "Let's just try?", so they acquiesced. When it scanned green, they had look of surprise on their faces... 😹 😹 😹
I am a newbie to United but I would venture to guess this is a coding issue - basically not being specific enough.

IF pax is a member and
IF pax is flying UA on DATE from AAA to BBB
IF club is at location AAA or BBB
IF boarding pass is scanned at club on said DATE
THEN allow access

Would scan green

But they didn't go as far as to write in
AND IF flight has arrived from AAA to BBB
THEN allow access to BBB
(also AND IF flight has not departed yet from AAA to BBB, then allow access to AAA)

Another alternative scenario where you might scan green but they say no:
If your flight was SFO-SNA UA then SNA-SFO on AS (switched round trip)
When you arrive at SFO on AS it might scan green
But technically you would not be allowed access

Computers can provide basic stop gap but any areas where it does not go "far enough" will require human adjustment

Sorry to resurrect an ancient topic but it was an interesting one I couldn't help myself

Originally Posted by cfischer
Your card should be enough for entry. *A is pretty clear that it is sufficient. UA Clubs can be a bit pesky with this and they might try to change it to your ANA#. Tell them not to ... if they still do it, change it back at the gate
would it be too cheeky to try to get them to do it once I enter the Club?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 2023 at 2:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bunkunu
would it be too cheeky to try to get them to do it once I enter the Club?
in my opinion you will not have to change your a MP number on your boarding pass, Just tell the UA agent your ANA card is for entry only do not change your MP crediting. I do it all the time with my CM card. Never had an issue at all!
SPN Lifer and bunkunu like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I've read the rules a few times and can't get a definitive answer on this (and sorry if it was answered in one of the previous 66 pages!)

Me: 1K flying HND-SFO-DEN-YYZ in Y (ugh)
Friend: No status flying HND-SFO-YVR in Y
All on UA metal

I know the rules state that to bring a guest in they must now be on the same flight (instead of the old rule where it could be any *A flight). But that wordage is about being on the same outgoing flight. Because the HND-SFO flight is UA metal and my status is with UA, I am eligible to use the lounge in SFO under the incoming criteria as well. Does the fact that my guest is on the same INCOMING flight allow me to bring them in?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:16 pm

I'm flying CDG-IAD (Polaris) and then IAD-YYZ (on Air Canada in Y)
If I understand the access rules then am I correct in understanding I will have access to the Polaris lounge?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Watch Commander
I'm flying CDG-IAD (Polaris) and then IAD-YYZ (on Air Canada in Y)
If I understand the access rules then am I correct in understanding I will have access to the Polaris lounge?
Yes. Also united club, not that you should bother.
Watch Commander likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:58 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I've read the rules a few times and can't get a definitive answer on this (and sorry if it was answered in one of the previous 66 pages!)

Me: 1K flying HND-SFO-DEN-YYZ in Y (ugh)
Friend: No status flying HND-SFO-YVR in Y
All on UA metal

I know the rules state that to bring a guest in they must now be on the same flight (instead of the old rule where it could be any *A flight). But that wordage is about being on the same outgoing flight. Because the HND-SFO flight is UA metal and my status is with UA, I am eligible to use the lounge in SFO under the incoming criteria as well. Does the fact that my guest is on the same INCOMING flight allow me to bring them in?
No.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
No.
Is that new? I've brought guests on arrival (before the 2022 policy change) and never had a problem. No more guests on arrival now?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by delpiero223
Is that new? I've brought guests on arrival (before the 2022 policy change) and never had a problem. No more guests on arrival now?
Star Alliance rules are all about departure. UA grants arrival access from its own flights based on UA Club membership (+ guests given certain criteria) or Polaris BP (no guests.)
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:44 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
No.
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Star Alliance rules are all about departure. UA grants arrival access from its own flights based on UA Club membership (+ guests given certain criteria) or Polaris BP (no guests.)
UA*G (Premier Gold or higher) with an INTL segment in their itinerary may use the UC on arrival regardless of UC membership. This does pose an interesting question if a guest who arrived on the same flight will be allowed in, on paper it states that the guest must be departing from the same airport as of May 2021. I guess one could argue that they both departed HND to SFO but YMMV.

Club and lounge access | United Airlines
Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Once again, this question is mostly out of curiosity, because after flying BKK-YVR-SFO I think I just want to go home.

But if I fly YVR-SFO in AC J, and I'm United Gold, can I access the UC on arrival?

The way I read things, yes. But I will not have UA*G on the boarding pass, so I assume it would require flashing my phone at them.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Once again, this question is mostly out of curiosity, because after flying BKK-YVR-SFO I think I just want to go home.

But if I fly YVR-SFO in AC J, and I'm United Gold, can I access the UC on arrival?

The way I read things, yes. But I will not have UA*G on the boarding pass, so I assume it would require flashing my phone at them.
No. You do not but you do at YVR. If you fly YVR-SFO on UA metal, you can visit UC at SFO.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

As a UA*G, you have UC access upon arrival of a *A international itinerary, regardless of whose metal you fly.

I imagine they will eventually get fed up with allowing people to accrue to a different program than they're using for benefits, but until they do, you should be good.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:46 pm

Will be flying through ORD this weekend. Have a One-Time pass to burn at a United Lounge. Recommendations on which UA Club I should check out? I'll only have 1 hour tops to linger in a lounge as I've only got 1h45m between flights. FWIW: I'm flying through only on Mainline Metal, no UAX. So likely I'll be arriving/departing only inside the B and C concourses.

Also, people here were telling me how in Denver One-Time pass holders are being turned away from clubs at peak hours. Will I likely run into this as well in O'hare on a Sunday morning? TIA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.