Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if Im flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by LBJ
This would match DL's policy -- same-day boarding pass on any airline is required for entrance for Sky Club members.
Given UA's obsession to mirror DL that would probably be the answer: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...se-rules.html#

SunLover

Last edited by SunLover; Aug 14, 2015 at 4:58 pm Reason: Link added
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by Annandaler
That sign was posted in the IAD United Clubs late yesterday afternoon. Seems poorly worded too since 99.99% of the folks who might want to get into the UC have boarding passes - do they mean to restrict it to *A boarding passes? Agents working there (some I know for many years) indicate that this is a result of all the Chase passes being used (and widely available on eBay and craigslist).

Like a previous poster, I am a lifetime member, and will be very unhappy with this change. Would love to hear something from the UA lurker here. Will current members be grandfathered into the old policy? How about lifetime members?
For those of us who've been Lifetime Presidents Club members since the mid 80s, we lived through the attempt to charge for drinks (CO relented and sent us Black Club cards, which meant free drinks as always, after complaints by members who were promised free drinks), this will be a new one. The invitation for the lifetime card was that you got admission regardless of whether you were flying CO. So I rather doubt that UA will attempt to devalue a Lifetime Card issued so long ago. FT people should monitor this.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
This is a real downgrade. For those of us who fly out of non-hub airports that have United Clubs, being able to access the club as a member but when flying another airline was a significant benefit. I can't count the number of times I've seen people exit the United Club at PHL and turn left (toward the C gates) rather than right (toward the D gates and UA flights).
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Like others have said, I don't get the purpose of this. I've had a paid annual membership for probably 5-6 years. Typically about 50 club visits per year. During that time, I've used a club exactly two times that would fit this criteria.

First was on an arrival at ORD (my final destination) when I went into the club with a family member who was continuing on to her home town, and I waited with her during the layover. Second, was in LHR to use the shower after a 5 am arrival when LHR was my destination.

This has to affect approximately 0.000000001% of UC visits. Why would they even bother to enforce it?

This seems to serve no practical purpose except to make members angry because it's another ridiculous cut in benefits.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by warreng24
That goes against the current policy. If this is implemented system-wide, I guess that'll be the end of the gate pass to use the club.
I haven't run into that on the west coast at least. I often use my UC pass even when not flying UA if the UC is close to my departing gate.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I would like to see some sort of policy confirmation and clarification from UAInsider.

The roll out of new food to the non-hub clubs seems to have stalled.

Our membership prices have increased.

And, now our access to the club (as members) has been curtailed.

Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:50 pm

Of course nothing on dot com, official announcements are now handled by some clubs posting signs, others not. Very professional.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Who cares? Just buy a same-day ticket when you want to visit the club, and then cancel it within 24 hours.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Rather odd that they posted this a full year and a week ahead of time. Did someone make a mistake on the year and this actually takes place next week?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Yes, it would seem another change we are going to like, is loss of gate passes with membership. This was a big benefit I used often, to meet family and friends at the gate, and also to see them off. Yet another reason to continue my departure from United. Yippee I can save that money now as well, United just loves to make is easy for me to keep my money in my pocket.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:44 pm

I frequently use the club on arrival, have a drink, take a shower, or arriving early for a meeting off airport I will wait in club
Definitely not good, been a member for at least 20 yrs
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
Who cares? Just buy a same-day ticket when you want to visit the club, and then cancel it within 24 hours.
Yep. Been doing this for years whenever I want to say goodbye to someone at the gate.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Of course nothing on dot com, official announcements are now handled by some clubs posting signs, others not. Very professional.
They haven't found a way to make it sound like a "Change we will like" yet
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
This is a real downgrade. For those of us who fly out of non-hub airports that have United Clubs, being able to access the club as a member but when flying another airline was a significant benefit. I can't count the number of times I've seen people exit the United Club at PHL and turn left (toward the C gates) rather than right (toward the D gates and UA flights).
The way I read it, you don't have to be traveling on UA. That would be a critical and even more outrageous downgrade. You just need a same day BP on any airline.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I think we can agree the culprit is the one-time passes from Chase.
No we can't. At a max of two passes per person per year, and many (or most) of those going to people who already have access, I'd say this probably accounts for no more than 2% of all lounge-goers. There are probably more Aegean fake-Golds taking advantage than Chase passes.

I'm betting it's probably really a "no more gate passes" policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.