Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if Im flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I'm a UA Club member, and while I expected (and used my BP) to gain access, I was a little surprised that the club also demanded to scan my colleagues BP (SWA BP) for entry. He was my guest as we had time before our respective flights. Not a big deal, just surprised.
I've experienced this as well. Speculation of course, but could be because UA wants to track data, e.g. do members use the guest privilege?; or to send the person being "guested" credit card offers; or perhaps to tag the member or guest in case something happens while in the club.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:28 pm

Scanning your guests BP is easy for them so they can make sure they have a flight that day. I wouldnt read into it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Scanning your guests BP is easy for them so they can make sure they have a flight that day. I wouldnt read into it.
That is my guess as well. Now if they were smart, they would see that he is at 950K lifetime on UA, but only a silver now, his many years of 1K status, but top status on SW. If they were smart...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
... Now if they were smart, they would see that he is at 950K lifetime on UA, but only a silver now, his many years of 1K status, but top status on SW. If they were smart...
It would be a really smart system to get all that from a WN BP.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
United Club and Boarding Pass

waa

Was in a Club over the week be. They asked me for a boarding pass. I know this was implemented the past year but you can't clear security without a pass unles this would be for a Club pre security to exclude employees from clubs.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2018 at 10:14 am Reason: merged into exisiting discussion
Old May 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
One can absolutely clear security without a BP.

This was discussed fully in the thread that arose last year. Surprised a new thread was felt necessary.
Often1 and seat38a like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
waa
Was in a Club over the week be. They asked me for a boarding pass. I know this was implemented the past year but you can't clear security without a pass unles this would be for a Club pre security to exclude employees from clubs.
You can also clear security with a BP that doesn't get you access to a United Club.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by AugustusM
You can also clear security with a BP that doesn't get you access to a United Club.
Sure, but if you have a UA club membership, that's a moot point, as all you need is a same day boarding pass.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BThumme
Sure, but if you have a UA club membership, that's a moot point, as all you need is a same day boarding pass.
Which was my point, you still need a legit BP to get in.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
...I know this was implemented the past year but you can't clear security without a pass unles this would be for a Club pre security to exclude employees from clubs.
UA has never overtly stated the reasons for requiring a BP but speculation has been
- an issue with airport workers and/or airline (not just UA) employees using UC membership for food access -- if you are at the airport hundreds of days annually, the incremental day cost of access is rather low.
- a desire to track the non-UA flight activity of UC members

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.