FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1702726-starting-18-aug-2016-united-club-access-including-members-only-w-ua-same-day-bp.html)

BA_Jfan Aug 13, 2015 9:57 am

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

I was just in the LGA United Club and there was a sign at reception that said from August 18, the Club could only be accessed by people with boarding passes for a same day flight. Is that a universal policy or just at LGA? Anyone know why they are making that change?

warreng24 Aug 13, 2015 10:03 am

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan (Post 25265643)
I was just in the LGA United Club and there was a sign at reception that said from August 18, the Club could only be accessed by people with boarding passes for a same day flight. Is that a universal policy or just at LGA? Anyone know why they are making that change?

That goes against the current policy. If this is implemented system-wide, I guess that'll be the end of the gate pass to use the club.

akhan7 Aug 13, 2015 10:11 am

Originally Posted by warreng24 (Post 25265673)
That goes against the current policy. If this is implemented system-wide, I guess that'll be the end of the gate pass to use the club.

Could it have something to do with LGA being one of the few (the only?) stations where UC is pre-security?

pdx1M Aug 13, 2015 10:17 am

The T&Cs say:

A valid United Club membership card or one-time pass and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license, passport or military ID) are required.
Membership cards are nontransferable and may not be loaned to others. United representatives will confiscate membership cards that are expired or presented by anyone other than the member.
United Club members may bring their spouse and dependent children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location. Members must accompany their family and guests during their United Club visit.
A one-time pass admits one person, with no guest privileges.
United reserves the right to limit club access to members traveling on same-day tickets.
United reserves the right to limit access for one-time pass users during high-traffic times when United Club locations are at or near capacity.
So it would have to be under a "reserves the right" event rather than a general case.

MatthewLAX Aug 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Starting in 2016: United Club Access Only for Same-Day Travel

I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread and I thought this merited its own thread.

Currently, members only need to show their card (and sometimes ID), but no boarding pass is necessary. This change, if the signs are accurate, will effect even members. So here are my questions to UA (hoping UAInsider will chime in)--

1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?

We see that the clubs are crowded and I think we can agree the culprit is the one-time passes from Chase. Is the solution really to further dilute member benefits rather than, say, restrict Explorer card holders to one pass per year instead of two?

milepig Aug 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 25272086)
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread and I thought this merited its own thread.

Currently, members only need to show their card (and sometimes ID), but no boarding pass is necessary. This change, if the signs are accurate, will effect even members. So here are my questions to UA (hoping UAInsider will chime in)--

1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?

We see that the clubs are crowded and I think we can agree the culprit is the one-time passes from Chase. Is the solution really to further dilute member benefits rather than, say, restrict Explorer card holders to one pass per year instead of two?

1. Since they rent the conference rooms and already have a way to get people who aren't flying that day past security I'd assume this won't be an issue.

2. No clue.

goldstj2 Aug 14, 2015 2:37 pm

I often visit in outstations without a same-day boarding pass when flying JetBlue. Does AA have a similar policy?

caseminole Aug 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Hmmmm....i dont like this.

that said, i've only ever been in United Club once when i wasnt actually flying

A friend had a long layover at LAX so i met him and hosted him in the Club (I am a member)

I am wondering if they will grandfather in existing members?

EWR764 Aug 14, 2015 2:49 pm

I wonder how many pax are actually using the clubs while NOT traveling with a same-day boarding pass? Obviously, there cannot be UA-specificity as to the carrier of the BP, given that OAL *G on same-day international tickets have access per Star Alliance rules. Are they trying to curtail UC members from using the Clubs when on other airlines? Or is it same-day pass users (buyers?) flying OAL?

It's a curious move and I don't like it. I agree that the one-day pass issue needs to be better-managed (perhaps making the passes electronic?).

goodeats21 Aug 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Interesting that the sign indicates "same day boarding pass", which would seem to be on any airline, not just United (or *A).

Is this a reaction to those stupid internet stories about a couple of people using airline clubs as regular bars?

SunLover Aug 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Pending clarification; It would appear to be a devaluation of benefits for sure.

SunLover

LASUA1K Aug 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Maybe this is only for stations with Clubs outside of security?

When I did have membership, I would land at my destination, pick up some coffee and go on my way home. Would I no longer have access after landing? I guess I would.

recreationguru Aug 14, 2015 2:56 pm

I have done meets in United Clubs when I am not flying -- not often, but has been convenient that my guys did not have to exit security when there was a real reason for face to face meeting -- signing some papers and confidential briefings.

As a lifetime club member ... I would say that United has moral if not legal obstacles to denying me this use.

bocastephen Aug 14, 2015 2:59 pm

I too would like further clarification - same day boarding pass on which airline? What about post red-eye arrivals? Looks like either poor communication or yet another poorly thought out change we "will like".

While I am all for reducing overcrowding in the lounge, the target should be pass holders and buyers, not paid members. Having said that, it would take far less energy and angst for folks to just buy a refundable ticket when access is needed, then refund the ticket once inside the club....which is what almost everyone does now anyway when needing to go to a club on a nonflight day for meet/greet or other reasons.

edcho Aug 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 25272191)
Maybe this is only for stations with Clubs outside of security?

When I did have membership, I would land at my destination, pick up some coffee and go on my way home. Would I no longer have access after landing? I guess I would.

JFK is inside security.