Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Email from United sent to United MP Club Cardmembers 18 Aug 2015
Update about United Club access

Dear XXXXX,

We've been working on a variety of improvements to our United ClubSM program. To provide a more productive and relaxing experience, we're investing more than $100 million in renovating existing locations and building new spaces with expanded seating areas, more power outlets and upgraded Wi-Fi. We're also investing in a brand new complimentary food menu that you can now find at our hub locations across the U.S. and will be available soon at the rest of our locations.

To maintain and further improve the United Club experience, we're announcing the following change to our program:

■ Effective August 18, 2016, a same-day boarding pass for all United Club customers, including members, will be required for United Club access.

United Club membership is a benefit of your United MileagePlus® Club Card. With a United Club membership, you can still bring your spouse and children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location.

Thank you for being a United MileagePlus® Club Cardmember, and we look forward to creating an even more comfortable and premium United Club experience for you.
Learn More
Signs were first noticed starting 13 Aug 2015 at various clubs
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I noticed this at JFK (that's ironic...) yesterday--

Someone else noted the sign at LGA in the United Club Access Thread ....
Posting by UA Insider 17 Aug 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
For general questions on UC access, see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dank0014
Well thanks UA, so gate passes will disappear which means my membership will go away. This means UA you are now out some money as frankly, I am one of your cheap Club members since I don't drink, and frankly the munchies don't do much for me.

But I shall thank you for one thing. Fully refundable fares will now be purchased to get me past security and thus immediately canceled after getting in. By doing so, I will now hold up a seat that UA could have potentially sold, as well as now causing your agents to take my phone call and process my cancellation. Labor surely can't be cheap.

Since I'm a glass half full guy, I see a major plus that purchasing a refundable ticket has verses the gate pass....I now will get TSA Pre. Thankfully, this will come in handy since UA is shuttering so many of the premier security lines now. Maybe this is flyer friendly of you. See you on the other side UA (of security checkpoint that is) without you taking my annual dues and spending more money on me.
Just out of curiosity, why are you going to the airport so much without flying? And frankly, I think deciding to hold up a seat and forcing UA agents to handle your cancellation out of spite is pretty petty.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by JBord
That makes sense, although I don't think I've ever seen a badged or uniformed employee using a club.

My money is on it seemed like a good idea since DL was doing it, so little thought was given to the decision. I do appreciate the year in advance notice, to be fair.
I have seen a crew member (pilot) in the DFW Amex lounge (minus epaulettes).

Not sure if it was a non-rev or revenue passenger, though.

=======

What about non-rev's, or people that have a standby pass (but not a boarding pass), or flying charter/private (who AMEX allows in)?

I am a lifetime member and am not happy about this. I sometimes travel as a non-rev and use the club.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
  1. What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
    Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

2. What about access after a redeye flight? Will this qualify as a "same-day" BP?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club after arriving off of a redeye flight.

3. Will I be able to come in if I’m flying on another carrier?
    Yes, you may use a same-day boarding pass on any carrier.

4. What if my flight departs early in the morning, the following day (e.g. 12:30am)?
    Yes, you will still be eligible to access the United Club.
-UA Insider
Thank you for the update. I look forward to hearing more about the upgraded complimentary drink offerings soon.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dank0014
Well thanks UA, so gate passes will disappear which means my membership will go away. This means UA you are now out some money as frankly, I am one of your cheap Club members since I don't drink, and frankly the munchies don't do much for me.

But I shall thank you for one thing. Fully refundable fares will now be purchased to get me past security and thus immediately canceled after getting in. By doing so, I will now hold up a seat that UA could have potentially sold, as well as now causing your agents to take my phone call and process my cancellation. Labor surely can't be cheap.

Since I'm a glass half full guy, I see a major plus that purchasing a refundable ticket has verses the gate pass....I now will get TSA Pre. Thankfully, this will come in handy since UA is shuttering so many of the premier security lines now. Maybe this is flyer friendly of you. See you on the other side UA (of security checkpoint that is) without you taking my annual dues and spending more money on me.
The only reason you had a paid UC membership was to use the club when you were not flying via gate passes?

So, if I read Insider's statement correctly, the only actual change here is the elimination of gate passes? If so, why even bother with the policy change? Were so many people using gate passes every date and filling up the clubs? I just cannot possibly imagine this to be the case.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The only reason you had a paid UC membership was to use the club when you were not flying via gate passes?

So, if I read Insider's statement correctly, the only actual change here is the elimination of gate passes? If so, why even bother with the policy change? Were so many people using gate passes every date and filling up the clubs? I just cannot possibly imagine this to be the case.
Don't forget there is still one club outside security: the one at LGA. I guess this may stop some people from using that one who weren't traveling at all.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Starting in 2016: United Club Access Only for Same-Day Travel

Thanks Insider for confirming that any carrier BP works for entry, not just UA/Star
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As a UC member, IMHO, this should have minimal impact....Unless there are people who have obtained a stack of passes and have nothing to do but making a day trip to visit their favorite local airports that has a UC.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:47 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I wish I had anticipated this downgrade when I spent thousands for a lifetime pass several years ago. I feel like I was taken advantage of, but then, that is all UA seems to do these days, engender ill will.

For the first time in 10 years or so, on Friday I will be flying FC not in UA, but on DL. I look forward to comparing the trip, especially the interaction with the people of DL.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by pagotto
This really seems to me like an attempt to prevent employees from using the lounge (either airport or flight crew).
Informal observation over several hours of both busy and quiet times at the IAD clubs: 97% of visitors are scanning boarding passes for entry; 3% are presenting Chase one-day passes; 0% presenting just a membership credential and ID (who might be airport or airline employees).

Where is the problem that needed fixing here? Other than LGA club outside of security (which could be addressed separately), why institute a change that so angers the paying customers?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Annandaler

Where is the problem that needed fixing here? Other than LGA club outside of security (which could be addressed separately), why institute a change that so angers the paying customers?
A very small percentage of users must have been abusing the system. Some people will go to great lengths for free alcohol.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Informal observation over several hours of both busy and quiet times at the IAD clubs: 97% of visitors are scanning boarding passes for entry; 3% are presenting Chase one-day passes; 0% presenting just a membership credential and ID (who might be airport or airline employees).

Thanks for the observations. I had wondered what percent in a typical busy hub lounge were the Chase passes. I would have guesstimated it would have been larger-maybe 10-15%

It does seem like this decision is a solution looking for a problem. I have never sensed in the many lounges that I have visited that airline/airport employees are a significant part of the daily visitors.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by CMK10
Don't forget there is still one club outside security: the one at LGA. I guess this may stop some people from using that one who weren't traveling at all.
The one at LGA is right next to an AMEX lounge. We used to use the UC when flying AA RDU-LGA, but now it's AMEX all the time. I do use the UC in PHL, and I"m glad my AA bp will still work.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I wonder if it was airport employees who figured out that they could have free alcohol after their shift.

In the late 90's a friend of a friend used to pre party at the ATL United Club and take Marta into town to a bar.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Thanks Insider for confirming that any carrier BP works for entry, not just UA/Star
+1 my paid renewal will continue based on this.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: UA GS
This policy will also prevent non-rev travelers who have club memberships from using them. That could actually be non-trivial say, at ORD, which is both a hub and corporate headquarters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.