Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
There is only one United Club worth it for food in the entire network - LHR. That's a food service. The rest is just stuff you stick down your throat under the "any port in a storm" school of thought. I actually look forward to going to the UC at LHR for the breakfast.
+1.

LHR is an anomaly.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Anyone visited the newly renovated UC/GFL at HKG yet?
I was at the HKG club in April 2015 and was pretty impressed. It is by far my favorite lounge. They had a few stations of food. You can also help yourself to cans of soda or bottled water.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Was in SAN on Sunday, and it appears that they have most of the stuff, except I'm not sure that the red peppers were fresh.

One of my favorite clubs in the system, at least of the ones I've visited ^

And perhaps the most friendly staff of them all

Just can't believe they haven't updated DFW
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Was at BOS UC early this morning and they are on the new food format. But no hard boiled eggs. And there was no place for the eggs to be so its not like they were gone. And the "deli style" bagel strips did not include the "everything" type.

I know - first world problems. But I wanted my egg and bagel strip...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by JHake10
I was at the HKG club in April 2015 and was pretty impressed. It is by far my favorite lounge. They had a few stations of food. You can also help yourself to cans of soda or bottled water.
Renovation occurred over the summer.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I happen to love visiting the Senator's lounges, but that's a totally different model. You can get access to UA lounges for <$500/yr. LH, and I assume most of the others, are almost exclusively international travelers, *G, or on a premium ticket.
Yes and no. LH split between business/FF loungers and Senator lounges at the main locations. The former is for LH and A* business passengers without status, "Frequent Flyers" and those with passes, e.g. Priority Pass, or in certain locations, purchased. Senator lounges for F and *G (on any class of flight).

"(4) The purchasable lounge access is limited to the Lufthansa Business Lounges in Germany, the USA and at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.

The fee for the Business Class Lounge is currently 25 euros for adults in Europe and 35 US dollars in the USA and 15 euros in Europe and 20 US dollars in the USA for children from 2 to 12 years of age. For the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge in Frankfurt the fee is 50 euros for adults and 35 euros for children from 2 to 12 years of age."

However, the business lounges are still preferable to the usual UA offering - only difference to the Senator lounges is quality of drink and some of the food (notably one trip in LHR, langoustine curry in the Senator lounge and chicken in the business ). Exception is the Club in LHR, which has been pointed out, is excellent.

The reality is they're not competing with the international carriers, they're competing with AA and DL, and the recent food changes have made them much more competitive in the regard. And there are rumors of paid food (AA-like) in the future.
No, they aren't - but the US, and more so, many destinations that can only be reached through the US for non-US passengers, are for tourism dollars. If one is dead set on going somewhere, of course this isn't going to change the mind. But for spontaneous trips where a number of destinations could do, I would choose the location with the more pleasant flying experience, hands down. A subpar lounge offering, plus TSA and customs in IAH and EWR, makes me seriously question whether 3+ segment, 40hr+ routings with UA (each way) are worth it just to dive in the Caribbean, when going east is so much more pleasant...

I am aware that this is really a First World problem, but isn't all of FT?

Perhaps there's another product they should offer just for premium international travelers at EWR, ORD, IAH, SFO, which is more like you suggest. Or they could raise the membership fees. But comparing a domestic UA lounge to many of the non-US airlines is apples and oranges.
+ ^

I really think it's a matter of philosophy on what flying should be. In Europe and most of Asia, it's seen as either a pleasure, to be enhanced or an evil necessity, to be made better. The US and notably China, due to size, seem to view it as just another mode of transport - and the offerings go down accordingly.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Renovation occurred over the summer.
If I was impressed before, then I'm sure I will be impressed again! I will be back there in early October.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: UA, AA
In practice, I found these offerings disgusting and unhygienic. IAD and LAX had crusted bowls of hummus, people grabbing cheese cubes with their hands, stinky garlicky soup. SFO yesterday morning had slopped over bowl of yogurt, slimy pile of peeled eggs in a bowl. No sneeze shields or the like. The prewrapped cheese and crackers were edible. Nothing on the new food layout is, as far as I am concerned. By contrast, the overseas Star Alliance lounges remain good.

They had wrapped cheese and crackers for years at SFO and IAD. The dispensers for pretzels, etc. were cleaner. I am not going to stick something in my mouth if it means riding the porcelain bus.

I am disinclined to choose a "port" that harbors germs. Flying UAL is one thing, the porcelain bus is another

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 23, 2015 at 8:04 am Reason: Merge
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by welltended
The prewrapped cheese and crackers were edible. Nothing on the new food layout is, as far as I am concerned. By contrast, the overseas Star Alliance lounges remain good.

They had wrapped cheese and crackers for years at SFO and IAD. The dispensers for pretzels, etc. were cleaner. I am not going to stick something in my mouth if it means riding the porcelain bus.
We Americans are second only to the Japanese in our obsession with shrink-wrapping the world around us. I for one am thankful UA has seen fit to bring the UC food offerings to a more appropriate global standard, both in terms of quality and hygiene.

I'll let you know the moment an unwrapped cheese cube gives me food poisoning!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
This made me laugh. It's not like UA is serving stagnant pond water!

Having seen a few restaurant kitchens (and storage) in person, I honestly think people are taking more risks eating at the typical medium range restaurant than a UA lounge.

That said, if someone were to ever sneeze on the food in a club, I would hope they wouldn't be so embarrassed that they'd neglect to inform one of the employees.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
We Americans are second only to the Japanese in our obsession with shrink-wrapping the world around us. I for one am thankful UA has seen fit to bring the UC food offerings to a more appropriate global standard, both in terms of quality and hygiene.

I for one am another that's not really pleased with the new offerings. Don't care for humus and I'm allergic to the peppers and olives. While the unwrapped cheese cubes are sometime a bit dry, they are edible. But I miss the variety of the Tillamooks. Especially the Monterrey Jack with Jalapenos, as cheddar is not my favorite cheese.

As for Breakfast, I want some way to HEAT the stupid bagel sticks. They seem to be really dense and I'm sure if warmed would be a little more edible.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by drowelf
But I miss the variety of the Tillamooks. Especially the Monterrey Jack with Jalapenos, as cheddar is not my favorite cheese.

As for Breakfast, I want some way to HEAT the stupid bagel sticks. They seem to be really dense and I'm sure if warmed would be a little more edible.
Totally agree on both fronts. I was pleased to see a return of full-sized bagels -- better quality by a mile than the "bagels" that were part of the old spread -- at the BOS UC this morning, replacing the bagel sticks. But without a toaster the improvement still felt hollow.

And BOS doesn't offer oatmeal or hard-boiled eggs after 8am.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Haarrrd boiled eeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeggs!!! (Oprah voice) at EWR rotunda now (7:20am) half a plate left. Will watch for restock.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Had oatmeal yesterday between 10AM and 11AM at IAH club by the deserted walkway to the C20s-40s concourse. It was quite good.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just can't believe they haven't updated DFW
Maybe still overstocked on "old" food items.

Originally Posted by JHake10
What kind of food offerings are at the HKG Club these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.