Search

United Clubs to be renovated

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

United Clubs to be renovated

No mention of IAD. What a surprise.

United Airlines will refresh and renovate several of its United Clubs, including three at Chicago O'Hare International Airport, according to a note that went out to employees this week.

The new clubs will have improved wi-fi, more power outlets and more comfortable seating, United told employees. "Each club will reflect a new, modern style with upgraded amenities," United said in the note.

Here's the plan, according to the note:
•ATL (Atlanta): Open a new club in fall 2015
•DCA (Reagan Washington National): Complete renovations of our club in spring 2015
•ORD: Begin design and planning for renovations of three clubs in spring 2015
•SFO: Open new club in late 2015
•LAX: Continue to update current clubs while we prepare for opening of a new greatly enlarged facility in 2017.
•HKG (Hong Kong): Refresh the club in spring 2015
•NRT: Install new furniture and carpet in spring 2015

"These renovations will incorporate the same modern design elements as our other recently renovated club locations and will include artwork featuring United’s unique aviation history, panoramic views, more comfortable seating and updated amenities. Improving these spaces is important for elevating the customer experience for our premium travelers," United Clubs Director Michael Landers said in the note to employees.
http://www.briansumers.com/home/2015...-san-francisco

IAD customers continue to be treated like second class citizens.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Regardless of how a club looks, I consider IAD one of the best solely because they have cans of soda.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
be glad that at least DCA is getting something. None of JFK EWR LGA is even on the list.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by halls120

http://www.briansumers.com/home/2015...-san-francisco

They are probably waiting for the new concourse .

Originally Posted by awu25
Regardless of how a club looks, I consider IAD one of the best solely because they have cans of soda.
There are a few clubs out there with this. LGA comes to mind.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Renovations is not the problem. The problem is poor amenities.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
LGA and JFK are also missing....IMHO, they also need to some attention for renovation.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by channa
Unfortunately, even with a positive-spin these type of announcements usually have, it doesn't sound all that spectacular. Quality Wi-Fi, sufficient power ports to connect business travelers, seats that are marginally better than those in the boarding area? This is what we'll be waiting for?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
When the heck are they gonna finish what they started at DEN? We've got one updated and one very tattered club.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by halls120

To this date who use the UC when there is a LH SEN lounge at IAD ?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
UA Insider mentioned recently that something was coming to address this.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
To this date who use the UC when there is a LH SEN lounge at IAD ?
domestically, you're still forced to use the UA one
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
and too many people
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
When they decide to start offering some food in domestic lounges beyond carrot sticks and crackers then I'll pay attention. NRT is not much better but at least has self serve drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), the only one I've found with a decent spread where you don't have to eat in the airport or on the plane is HKG. Someone from UA needs to take a few hops around South Africa to get some pointers on a decent domestic lounge offering. What UA (and other US based carriers) charge domestic flyers for annual access fees is ridiculous for what you get. At the moment you have to hunt for a power outlet in the main seating areas of most UA Clubs, settle for internet at a crawl, request complementary drinks from a bartender with a tip jar sitting in front of them, and can't eat anything... sadly it's a step up from the main seating areas so people still fork out in the neighborhood of $400 a year depending on status level.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: United 1K
And reading very carefully, the ORD plan is "Begin design and planning for renovations of three clubs in spring 2015." I'm not sure if I'll see more power ports in the clubs here or on the planes earlier. Given how great UA is for planning but slow at implementing, I'm sure I won't see any significant changes come to ORD anytime soon.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Interesting they are refurbishing DCA when the IAD clubs seem to get a lot more traffic, are a lot more worn out, and they have to compete (to the extent they are competing when at different terminals) with the international lounges, my favorite being the AF lounge. By the way, I noticed a far corner of the DCA club (essentially behind the agents counter) that is being worked on and has the fridges with sodas now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.