Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA 1611 - EWR-PHX (dinner)

Floored by the quality of tonight's dinner...easily the best meal in domestic F I've eaten.

Starting off with a Goose IPA as usual...

Lobster Mac and cheese(!!!!). This was absolutely phenomenal. Perfect crisp on the breadcrumbs on the outside, lots of plentiful lobster meat, and great cheesy flavor. I'd pay NYC prices for this dish. The salad was solid - I really liked that they use arugula now - and the pretzel roll was phenomenal as always.

My wife had the tandoori chicken, which was also good - bits of paneer sprinkled in the curry was a nice touch.

Dessert was cookies and cream ice cream topped with chocolate syrup and whipped cream. The syrup had a slight coffee taste to it - a nice touch.

The nuts were served right with dinner, so you could argue that should have been done earlier - but the food was fantastic. Not sure if this was a new dish or just a lucky good batch of catering, but I loved it. Good job, UA ^

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Nov 24, 2015 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:40 pm

Anyone fly yesterday and get to try one of the complimentary Thanksgiving treats being passed out?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The nuts were served right with dinner, so you could argue that should have been done earlier - but the food was fantastic. Not sure if this was a new dish or just a lucky good batch of catering, but I loved it. Good job, UA ^
Is this the new routine? On my lunch time flight last week from LAX-IAH, the nuts were also served with the meal.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
On UA1028 right now EWR-SNA. FAs reported that no nuts were catered. I had the Thai chicken and rice, which was pretty good. Wife had the ravioli, which smelled and looked delicious.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Floored by the quality of tonight's dinner...easily the best meal in domestic F I've eaten.

Lobster Mac and cheese(!!!!). This was absolutely phenomenal. Perfect crisp on the breadcrumbs on the outside, lots of plentiful lobster meat, and great cheesy flavor. I'd pay NYC prices for this dish. The salad was solid - I really liked that they use arugula now - and the pretzel roll was phenomenal as always.

They had this lobster dish on my flight in Wednesday (UA 1795 PHX-IAH.) I opted for the beef tips instead. The entre was actually really good. I actually was surprised. Vegetables were a bit tough, though. However, this a significant upgrade from my last meal on UA, which I couldn't even describe as a meal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2015 at 3:37 pm Reason: For the sake of those on small screens, please quote only relevant photos and not entire post
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Is this the new routine? On my lunch time flight last week from LAX-IAH, the nuts were also served with the meal.
Nope. This is either a lazy crew OR a crew that's been told they have a very short time for service due to expected choppy air. Usually the former but sometimes the latter.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
They had this lobster dish on my flight in Wednesday (UA 1795 PHX-IAH.) I opted for the beef tips instead. The entre was actually really good. I actually was surprised. Vegetables were a bit tough, though. However, this a significant upgrade from my last meal on UA, which I couldn't even describe as a meal.
Sounds like progress is being made in the flight kitchen. ^ In my experience, it's been the beef that was tough, and the vegetables that were overcooked.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Catering error on paid F UX flight 6274 from MSP-SFO tonight: No meals.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by UAFASFO
Anyone fly yesterday and get to try one of the complimentary Thanksgiving treats being passed out?
Yes, EWR BUF on ERJ. Nice little surprise. Thanksgiving Day.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by UAFASFO
Yes! Girlfriend flew UA on an award ticket and got the pumpkin cheesecake snack gratis in coach. Great idea, and great job choosing Eli's! She also tried the coconut oil popcorn which she said was awesome.

Great improvement, UA!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:45 am

Similarly, a staff member in the Terminal A lounge at EWR was going around giving pieces of cheesecake to patrons on Wednesday night.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:51 pm

PS lunch/dinner flight on Thanksgiving afternoon (EWR-LAX) on a 16-seat Continental plane. Very good and friendly - albeit it junior - SFO based crew. Everyone was kept hydrated and glasses full the entire way across the country.

Starter: Chilled Appetizer (smoked chicken with apple fennel salad);

Salad: Butternut Squash Salad (spring mix, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, blue cheese, pickled onions, balsamic vinaigrette)

Main:
(1) Beef Short Rib (bordelaise sauce, roasted parsnips and carrots, goat cheese grits)
(2) Turbot (asian BBQ sauce, soy glaze, baby bok choy, pickled turnips, rice
(3) Duck Confit Ravioli (mushroom ragout, semi dried tomatoes, asparagus)

Finish:
Ice cream + cookies towards the end of the flight

Nice menu, salad definitely PS quality compared to what you might get otherwise on a flight but the food in general is still probably good for an airplane but not something you would ever write home about if gotten at a restaurant. I had the ravioli, tasty but pasta is real hard to reheat in an airplane oven without the pasta drying out substantially. Seatmate had the turbot and interestingly said it was the best fish dish he's ever had on an airplane before. It did look good. As far as I could tell, everyone got their first choice for entree. Flight also went out with empty seats up front which I'm sure helped.

My highest rating would be to the crew. Even on initial descent into LA, they were making a final drink run through the cabin.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
PS lunch/dinner flight on Thanksgiving afternoon (EWR-LAX) on a 16-seat Continental plane. Very good and friendly - albeit junior - SFO based crew. Everyone was kept hydrated and glasses full the entire way across the country. ...

My highest rating would be to the crew. Even on initial descent into LA, they were making a final drink run through the cabin.
Junior crew = excellent service. What does this tell us?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
....Thanksgiving afternoon (EWR-LAX) on a 16-seat Continental plane....
What was that? A stretch version of a Cessna Caravan?

I'm pretty sure you meant int'l configuration 752 with 16 BF seats.....Food is definitely improving.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by transportprof
Junior crew = excellent service. What does this tell us?
I disagree with this. Most juniour crews I have are enjoying the galley extremely loud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.