Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Dec 2015 p.s.
SFO->EWR 28J version
Redeye

Was described as a Pastrami sandwich, but didn't really taste like it. Was cheesy and a bit bland, but the bread was nicely toasted/crunch. The vegetables had a weird taste and consistency, almost like they were briefly pickled or something. The little bowl contained 3 pieces of boiled red potato.

Service was very good. Food distributed very quickly so everyone could sleep as soon as possible. Basket of toothbrush/paste, eye shades, and earplugs passed before takeoff.

Choice of cinnamon roll or muffin offered prior to landing, which I declined in favor of more sleep. And of course waited until the airport to get some drinkable coffee.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Dec 2015 p.s.
SFO->EWR 28J version
Redeye

Was described as a Pastrami sandwich, but didn't really taste like it. Was cheesy and a bit bland, but the bread was nicely toasted/crunch. The vegetables had a weird taste and consistency, almost like they were briefly pickled or something. The little bowl contained 3 pieces of boiled red potato.
I had this on a LAX-IAH lunch flight. It was described as turkey pastrami. Not enough meat, period, and certainly not enough for the bread size. The taste was OK, but you would never mistake this as coming from a good deli. Yes, the vegetables were lightly pickled.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

I really liked the salad - very healthy and flavorful, but I do wish that they had simply had a vinaigrette with the salad instead of 'lemon' olive oil, which tasted pretty much like regular olive oil but less strong. The goat cheese was stellar - could have used a slightly bigger piece of bread but no complaints. We were also served a roll (forgot to get a picture of that) that was warm and chewy - slathered it up with butter and chowed down.
I personally didn't care for the chunk of cheese on bread as an appetizer. The cheese to bread ratio was too much, and the bread was too soft was a crostini. The appetizer from EWR was much better.

The olive oil "dressing" for the salad needed more acidity than the lemon flavoring, but the salad is a significant improvement than lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes in a bowl.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Someone in the galley did a very nice job plating those. It makes a big difference whether the FAs actually pay attention to the heating and plating. This is one of those areas where UA's service inconsistencies really show.
Bingo! The p.s. menu cards now come with pictures to help FAs plating the new dishes. There's no excuse for them to mess up.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Bingo! The p.s. menu cards now come with pictures to help FAs plating the new dishes. There's no excuse for them to mess up.
So here's a crazy idea ...

Wonder if they could build something into their fancy new, FA on-board iPhone app that would be a description and photo of every item in the menu rotation? Then when catering loads a certain meal on the plane, the FAs can see what's being served and what it should look like?

That'd go a long way to stopping the 'We have a salad and some kind of pasta, what's your first choice?' kind of nonsense that goes on.

Simple change - when they make a new menu item, take a few photos, type a few words, and have the FAs look it up in their app - that would go a long, long way in ensuring consistent service.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Dec 2015 p.s.
EWR->LAX 16J version
3PM
I appreciate the new food offerings, but felt like United just tried to hard with this one. Beets, blue Cheese, grapefruit, and olive oil just don't complement each other. Main was pretty small.
Agree re: the salad, although the component parts were good and it was refreshing to see some new ingredients. The dressing probably would have hit the mark if it was balsamic+OO instead of just OO.

I found the appetizer to be a very small portion, though tasty.

Dec 2015 p.s.
SFO->EWR 28J version
Redeye
Any chance I rode with you on this one... 12/5 departure UAL726? I was in 1A.

Agree that the service was well-executed for a redeye. Normally I don't eat, but I was coming straight from the Pac-12 championship game and most of my consumption leading up to the flight was liquid in form.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Simple change - when they make a new menu item, take a few photos, type a few words, and have the FAs look it up in their app - that would go a long, long way in ensuring consistent service.
That makes a lot of sense, and FAs already get this information in a document which at one point was known as a "GAB" sheet (Galley Attendant Briefing). Of course, this presumes that the flight attendant actually cares to review the photographs and the choices to provide a higher level of service to passengers than the bare minimum.

Whether the information is presented in hard copy or by way of iPhone won't matter with an apathetic flight attendant.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764
Agree re: the salad, although the component parts were good and it was refreshing to see some new ingredients. The dressing probably would have hit the mark if it was balsamic+OO instead of just OO.

I found the appetizer to be a very small portion, though tasty.

Any chance I rode with you on this one... 12/5 departure UAL726? I was in 1A.

Agree that the service was well-executed for a redeye. Normally I don't eat, but I was coming straight from the Pac-12 championship game and most of my consumption leading up to the flight was liquid in form.
Yep, small world. I was in 5E, so got a front row seat to all the boarding/ seat switching confusion...and still have no idea what it was about. Same guy changed seats multiple times and the GAs on board seemed bewildered. Purser was getting annoyed as well, I think.

Wish I would have known at the time. It would have been great to say hello.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:23 am

Looks like they're changing up the menu monthly. That's entirely different than the November EWR-West Coast choices. So I'll give them that.

Did you see the lamb dish nearby? Looks intriguing.

Now if they could stop serving the 'Entwine' Food Network wine...

Dec 2015 p.s.
EWR->LAX 16J version
3PM

No amenities offered.

I appreciate the new food offerings, but felt like United just tried to hard with this one. Beets, blue Cheese, grapefruit, and olive oil just don't complement each other. Main was pretty small.

FA insisted on collecting all linens, including napkins, prior to serving the sundaes??? Bizarre. Luckily I didn't end up with a blob of caramel on my shirt.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:25 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Had the lamb on EWR-SFO p.s. last night, found it slightly overdone but all in all very tasty - and a generous portion, which can be a problem for a 6 hour flight.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:36 am

Yep, small world. I was in 5E, so got a front row seat to all the boarding/ seat switching confusion...and still have no idea what it was about. Same guy changed seats multiple times and the GAs on board seemed bewildered. Purser was getting annoyed as well, I think.

Wish I would have known at the time. It would have been great to say hello.
So THAT's what the cryptic announcement was about before the door closed... my seatmate and I were trying to figure it out, but never asked!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Looks like they're changing up the menu monthly. That's entirely different than the November EWR-West Coast choices. So I'll give them that.

Did you see the lamb dish nearby? Looks intriguing.

Now if they could stop serving the 'Entwine' Food Network wine...
Sorry, no. My seatmate brought his own meal on-board (a great looking, overstuffed sandwich). Guess he is not impressed with Premium Service offereings

Interesting that the menu indicates "Winter 2015"...so maybe changing seasonally instead of monthly?

So THAT's what the cryptic announcement was about before the door closed... my seatmate and I were trying to figure it out, but never asked!
It was very strange. Multiple seat switching going on in the 2nd BF cabin, even after everyone was settled in...including the aforementioned guy that kept getting moved around. Multiple Gate Agents on board trying to figure it all out. Purser was just watching it all...at first bemused...later annoyed.

Coupled with the usual circus in trying to accommodate bags and everyone getting in each others way...you were lucky to be in the relatively calm forward cabin.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:17 pm

Sorry, no. My seatmate brought his own meal on-board (a great looking, overstuffed sandwich). Guess he is not impressed with Premium Service offereings

Interesting that the menu indicates "Winter 2015"...so maybe changing seasonally instead of monthly?
Yes that's it.

I guess we got an abbreviated Autumn with the rollout starting in late October.

Originally Posted by glx
Had the lamb on EWR-SFO p.s. last night, found it slightly overdone but all in all very tasty - and a generous portion, which can be a problem for a 6 hour flight.
So the lamb it will be for my next flight.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
So here's a crazy idea ...

Wonder if they could build something into their fancy new, FA on-board iPhone app that would be a description and photo of every item in the menu rotation? Then when catering loads a certain meal on the plane, the FAs can see what's being served and what it should look like?

That'd go a long way to stopping the 'We have a salad and some kind of pasta, what's your first choice?' kind of nonsense that goes on.

OR.....the FA's could actually 1) look at the catering printout sheet that they are supposed to get 2) log onto the internal site and look at the printouts themselves to maybe, just maybe familiarize themselves with the products which they are supposed to be doing in the firstplace. It's not like any of the information is hidden so they can't see it.

Which got me wondering though...if these devices are wifi enabled they could log onto the site while they are on the plane.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yes that's it.

I guess we got an abbreviated Autumn with the rollout starting in late October.

So the lamb it will be for my next flight.
Seatmate had the lamb on the flight out and it looked tasty... the chimichurri scared me away (unknown garlic level...) but it was a generous portion and nicely presented. A welcome change to the rotation of the last few years, as I was not sure how much more tamale-filled chicken breasts, pork chops or white beans with andouille sausage I could tolerate...
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Got snack basket in F on IAH-SAT and back, not bad considering 30 minute flight!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:42 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Seatmate had the lamb on the flight out and it looked tasty... the chimichurri scared me away (unknown garlic level...) but it was a generous portion and nicely presented. A welcome change to the rotation of the last few years, as I was not sure how much more tamale-filled chicken breasts, pork chops or white beans with andouille sausage I could tolerate...
garlic was not strong and went well with the dish , but it had a minor kick from some kind of pepper. not a complaint, just a FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.