Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:08 pm

Had the lamb on a PS flight....

The presentation is bland - a lot of meat and brown on the plate.

But flavors were really good. Frankly one of the best main courses flavor wise I've had on a flight - United or otherwise, and yes including international 3 cabin first.

Lamb was tender, the eggplant and mint were a nice blend. Gnocchi was the usual dried out type we're used to - that could be substituted with something else.

Looks like the gelato toppings are a seasonal thing. Fall was the Oreo-like cookie crumbs and Winter is the mini M&M things.

Also enjoyed the beet/grapefruit salad. Pineapple shrimp was good but wish the app was a more involved portion / presentation.

But overall best tasting meal I've had on PS, with my history on PS going back to the 2010 3 cabin First edition.

Still not as impressive as Delta presentation wise, but they're getting really good with the flavors.

And the wine is still not up to the par of the food.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Cookie about ~45 minutes prior to landing. Great as always.
Wait, are cookies back in bags and not on plates, or an one-off catering issue?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yesterday, on UA300, I sampled the new meals to Hawaii, and it is a significant improvement after the post-merger years of crap catering.

There was a kale and soba noodle salad served that was quite decent. I then had "Oaxaca Beef" with "Caribbean Rice" which was tasty - a definite improvement over the short ribs in Asian five spice sauce.

And champagne (not just Prosecco) has returned to the Hawaii flights. Louis Perdrier was poured and for a $6.99 bottle of champers, it wasn't too bad.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Yesterday, on UA300, I sampled the new meals to Hawaii, and it is a significant improvement after the post-merger years of crap catering.

There was a kale and soba noodle salad served that was quite decent. I then had "Oaxaca Beef" with "Caribbean Rice" which was tasty - a definite improvement over the short ribs in Asian five spice sauce.

And champagne (not just Prosecco) has returned to the Hawaii flights. Louis Perdrier was poured and for a $6.99 bottle of champers, it wasn't too bad.
Haha, the irony is that the Lunetta generally retails for almost twice that price.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
December SFO-IAD Dinner Flight

Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
YYC-SFO
UA2045

Embraer 175

Lunch: Chicken Wrap or Beef and Glass Noodle Salad (below)
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, 1K
On 12/21 UA842 LAX-IAD first class, had turkey pastrami sandwich which was tasty AND!!! a true Champagne was served(forgot the name)! It was very good. I had asked for sparkling wine and Carol, the excellent FA said somewhat apologetically what they have inflight is not proseco; I replied just something celebratory since it is Christmas and she said yes, it is the season. The champagne was delicious. She generously refilled my glass 4x during the flight...Thank you Carol.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by John17 3
On 12/21 UA842 LAX-IAD first class, had turkey pastrami sandwich which was tasty AND!!! a true Champagne was served(forgot the name)! It was very good. I had asked for sparkling wine and Carol, the excellent FA said somewhat apologetically what they have inflight is not proseco; I replied just something celebratory since it is Christmas and she said yes, it is the season. The champagne was delicious. She generously refilled my glass 4x during the flight...Thank you Carol.
The Champagne was probably Louis Perdrier. I had if SFO-HNL on Dec. 22. Not at all bad for $6.99 a bottle!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not flown much the 2nd half of this year and not getting upgraded when I fly (even with RPUs). Now, finally, on a holiday week with a U fare, I got upgraded.

Had 2 midcon flights today - breakfast and then lunch. I really don't see the improvements.

The souffle was mostly dough with soft bacon on the side. No yogurt and no real egg.

The lunch sandwich was tasty but no soup and not really a big upgrade. (FA left the cart door open during takeoff so lots of the trays flew out so I only ate the sandwich.)

I actually really miss the Y meals in the 80s - they seemed more filling and better than the domestic F meals now....
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat
BOS-SFO UA2016 Domestic First

BOS-SFO 12/27 Domestic First

Dinner service
- No nuts (outbound I had nuts in a foil cup)
- Salad served with sickly sweet fat free lemon dressing
- Warm dry roll and no butter
- Pasta, which consisted of four cheese ravioli, four small asparagus spears, a scattering of butternut squash, and a spoonful of a red sauce on the ravioli.
- No courvoisier boarded (at least that was what I was told)
- Had to explain to the attendant how to make a gin and tonic
- Most amateur F service I have experienced

Arrival service
- Warm cookie
- Water
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Has anybody seen the Illy coffee yet ?

I'm sure it will be in pods or from one of the big cans, but I'm still really looking forward to this. I get to TRS at least once or twice a year and always bring home a couple cans of Illy or Lavazza. (Yes, it's canned, but since the factory is in Trieste (okay, halfway between Trieste and Muggia if you want to be exact), what's on the shelves in the local PAM grocery is a couple months fresher than what we get in the US)
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Has anybody seen the Illy coffee yet ?
Onboard Illy not expected before next summer:

"Beginning next month, world-renowned coffee maker, illy, will be available in United Club locations at our mainland U.S hubs. The company’s delicious signature scuro dark roast and its espresso will be poured in other lounge locations in 2016, with the scuro dark roast coming on board flights worldwide next summer."

Read more at https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...3iPc0etxvPl.99
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
ORDIAH
2-Class 763
Dep: 1100AM

Flight was delayed due to wx on the ramp; FA's came around doing PDB, though request for Moscow Mule was met with FA informing me they were only stocked in the Y galley so they would get them later (didn't have an issue with that but it seems that this is the case on all flights)

Meal selections taken before pushback; choice of either argula chicken sandwich or argula chicken salad. Asked what came with them, FA had to look for sheet and said sandwich came with side salad though not sure if the salad came with anything.

However the salad seemed like it was wet, then frozen, then thawed out. The lemon vinegarette was a little too tart in my opinion. The grapes were a nice touch (reminded me of NW F meals). White chocolate chip cookie was brought by later and was pretty darn good.

Much better offering than the last time I had a warm sandwich offering in F.

At least the new service has some color/variety rather than just a bunch of bland blah carbs

SATLAX
Dep: 817PM

Another PDB where moscow mule was stored back in Y; FA said they would get it later, but even they found one or went back there but made it a point to tell me they scrouged some up which I appreciated.

Meal Service: none
So this is one of those flights where it might have technically got a snack plate previously but in the "enhanced" Fall 2014 meal changes qualified for a snack basket. This was a pmUA route, I know way back it was a pmCO route at least in 1998. So not sure what meal service if any but knowing that IAH-West Coast >800PM depatures used to get the snack plate but from Fall 2014 got downgraded to the snack basket.

I'll give this one a "meh", in the it would have been nice to have something more substantial for a flight of this length between two time zones but I ended up sleeping for a good portion of the flight so that kept the hunger pains to a minimum. I might point out though that my IAHSAT flt seemed to have a better snack selection than the SATLAX flt but I'm guessing SAT is double catered.

Last edited by qukslvr619; Dec 28, 2015 at 4:16 pm
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by car94102

Dinner service
- Pasta, which consisted of four cheese ravioli, four small asparagus spears, a scattering of butternut squash, and a spoonful of a red sauce on the ravioli.

Arrival service
- Warm cookie
- Water
That fat-free lemon vinaigrette is a disgrace. All it is is high-fructose corn syrup and citric acid.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by car94102

Dinner service

Arrival service
- Warm cookie
- Water
No dessert? That's pretty disappointing service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.