Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by johnden
Has United returned the late-night snack to red-eyes?

I've been on SFO-IAD and SEA-IAD red-eyes lately and had a warm light meal served. On one flight it was a warm chicken sandwich and salad, don't recall the other.

Is this a systemwide change, or only select routes at select times?
Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service - starting 1 Nov 2015

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-options.html
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service - starting 1 Nov 2015

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-options.html
It really is not a full dinner service (with 3 entree choices, warm nuts, etc). They have a unique definition of "dinner" for these flights.

From the same link.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.
It has been my experience as well and I have posted some pics in the "Let's Eat" thread. My December p.s. red eye was a pastrami sandwich with a micro tub of potato salad. No other choice. And in no way would I describe the sandwich as "hearty". It had about 3 ounces of meat.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by zoegksf
DEN-IAH is an exception flight, most likely a lunch
Thanks. I was thinking this might be the case. Out of curiosity, I looked for a similarly timed flight today and UA1874 leaves 8 minutes earlier than my flight in February and has the same flight duration, yet it shows 'Refreshments'. Perhaps this is a new meal policy that takes effect at a later date.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnden
Has United returned the late-night snack to red-eyes?

I've been on SFO-IAD and SEA-IAD red-eyes lately and had a warm light meal served. On one flight it was a warm chicken sandwich and salad, don't recall the other.

Is this a systemwide change, or only select routes at select times?
On SFO-IAD redeyes I was getting the cheeseburger in November. On PS LAX-EWR redeye last week they had the turkey pastrami sandwich which I thought was pretty good.

Caveat: there's not much I won't eat.

Last edited by HoyaSFOIAD; Dec 17, 2015 at 10:37 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
On PS LAX-EWR redeye last week they had the turkey pastrami sandwich which I thought was pretty good.
Same here on a December redeye. I found the pastrami sandwich ok, but the
potatoe salad served in a nut-ramekin to be tiny, and very dry & bland.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
It really is not a full dinner service (with 3 entree choices, warm nuts, etc). They have a unique definition of "dinner" for these flights.
Actually, last month on a p.s. redeye departing in the 8h00 - 9h00 p.m. window a full 4-course dinner was served. It seems like somewhere past the 9h00 p.m. timeframe catering becomes late-night snack.

"Ammenities" in the app for my particular flights showed "dinner" & "snack" for the earlier/later departures, which might be a way to determine what to expect.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
December SFO-IAH 787-9

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2015 at 4:41 pm Reason: As previousily stated - Food pics only
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
This main looks pretty decent. What was it and how was it?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
This main looks pretty decent. What was it and how was it?
Chicken Katsu.....unfortunately it did not taste good. Sauce was bland, and chicken breading was soggy!
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Also had the katsu followed by lemon sorbet on SFO-MSP yesterday. Was good/decent.

Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Chicken Katsu.....unfortunately it did not taste good. Sauce was bland, and chicken breading was soggy!
Never seen Chicken Katsu with yellow sauce before...
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Never seen Chicken Katsu with yellow sauce before...
I've had the katsu 3 times and all were decent. It's airplane food - you're not going to get crisp-out-of-the-fryer/oven. The first time I ordered it, I was worried about the breading, but it wasn't (and hasn't been) as soggy as it could have been with a heavier/wetter drench in prep. In Hawaii, the normal katsu sauce is a red soy sweet/tangy dipping sauce on the side. United's serving it with a green curry sauce on top (although the yellow shown is different from I've gotten). My only complaint is that not enough curry sauce is provided to mix in w/ the rice. The chicken piece itself has been fairly large and moist.

I'll take it every day of the week and twice on Sundays vs the old leathery chicken cacciatore...
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
On EWR-SNA right now, and had the tamale-stuffed chicken. That's my favorite chicken dish, although the yucca spears are kind of dry and hard to choke down.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

December IAH-MIA Dinner Flight

The Chicken MAC was decent...tender and juicy for a change.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

December MIA-ORD Lunch Time Flight

The chicken here is also breaded, but tasted much better than the chicken Katsu shown above. Lightly breaded and juicy.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
On EWR-SNA right now, and had the tamale-stuffed chicken. That's my favorite chicken dish, although the yucca spears are kind of dry and hard to choke down.
Yup. My favorite item from the old UA menu. Glad they've retained it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.