Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by cxny1090
Actually apparently there is a new standard to take orders - front to back. In fact, the person in front of me had a fit (could have been a five year old if I closed my eyes) who was a 1K and wanted the lamb. He made sure the FA knew his status for which the FA mentioned that there were many GS and 1K's on this flight and this was the new way to take orders. The FA also mentioned that when UA was UA pre-merger, he could have gotten his choice.

The FA said he could "make it work" so that this passenger could get the lamb - not really sure what he did but I think he asked someone in the front if they could switch. I didn't hear a "thank you" from this passenger but I wasn't expecting him to.
I have never seen fits about meal choices to the magnitude I have seen them from pmUA fliers. Not on DL, not on AA, not on old CO or NW.

And the difference...

The inane 'sort meals by status' policy.

Let's get preordering set up so that policy can be put to pasture for good.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I have never seen fits about meal choices to the magnitude I have seen them from pmUA fliers. Not on DL, not on AA, not on old CO or NW.

And the difference...

The inane 'sort meals by status' policy.

Let's get preordering set up so that policy can be put to pasture for good.
I would love to see pre-ordering - but it opens new problems when you get re-routed our miss a flight, but the benefit far outweighs the risk (which the customer should understand) should a last minute flight change occur.

The only downside is customers cleared into F where others misconnected but ordered specific meals may skew the meal count based on the preference of the missing customers which could be different than those of the new customers.

Do we know how far in advance meals are selected by catering ops for a specific flight? I don't know, but there is a chance they might board selections randomly per the flight time and planned length with a print out so there is no way to know what is boarded until it shows up plane-side.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Back on topic . . . we had the new lunch menu on HNL-SFO this past weekend. Huge improvement. A nice salad plus choice of three entrees - beef, salmon, vegetarian paneer over rice. We had the salmon and it was quite good. Dessert was cookies and cream ice cream, but no toppings. Cookie was served prior to arrival.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Back on topic . . . we had the new lunch menu on HNL-SFO this past weekend. Huge improvement. A nice salad plus choice of three entrees - beef, salmon, vegetarian paneer over rice. We had the salmon and it was quite good. Dessert was cookies and cream ice cream, but no toppings. Cookie was served prior to arrival.
Paneer is delicious!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Domestic First, PHX-IAH

This one surprised me! Breakfast on a 737-900 from PHX-IAH. They called it a French Toast Souffle. It's the dish on the top left of the tray. It was actually really really good - probably the best breakfast I've had on United.

Unfortunately, I had the same dish a few days later going IAH-PHX and it was not good. It was bland and mushy. I'm not sure if I just got lucky the first time or maybe it's a difference between the catering at PHX and IAH.

Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
Dec 2015
SFO-EWR
16J

I didn't eat as it was 6am and I went straight back to sleep. The menu does look promising and better than previous AM PS flights. Will have to try the french toast next time!

Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kevin Adams
Breakfast
It was okay. I've had better, even on domestic first, but it did the job.
Since they revamped the domestic menus, the domestic F breakfast is miles better than international. They really need to update the BF menus.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:28 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Any recent experiences with LIH-SFO? Is it double-catered from SFO? It's a 2pm departure, so qualifies as lunch? Dinner? Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Any recent experiences with LIH-SFO? Is it double-catered from SFO? It's a 2pm departure, so qualifies as lunch? Dinner? Thanks!
All LIH flights are double-catered from the mainland. It'll be a lunch flight with three entree choices.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
Paneer is delicious!
What is this actually? Any pix by chance?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:40 pm

Any improvement in wines in international J ?

My last 2 trips to USA have been in Qantas and Virgin business class.

UA just cannot compete with the wine offerings on them.

I could also add that the attention to service and customer care is just so much better particularly on VA.

I am not sure I could go back to UA now!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by cesco.g
What is this actually? Any pix by chance?
It's an Indian dish with cheese and peas in sauce. Really delicious, but it seems like it stumps the FAs more often than not (I've heard some pretty funny attempts at explaining what it is). Picture in one of my old posts here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24863641-post531.html
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
ORD-DFW
UA3713

CRJ700

Choice: Ciabatta Chicken Sandwich or Arugula Salad with Chicken (below)
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
ORD-LGA
UA794

Airbus A320

Choice of: Tandoori Chicken with Rice or Seafood Cioppino (below)
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hirohito888
ORD-DFW
UA3713

CRJ700

Choice: Ciabatta Chicken Sandwich or Arugula Salad with Chicken
Was that as tasty as it looks? Actually looks presentable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.