Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by glx
garlic was not strong and went well with the dish , but it had a minor kick from some kind of pepper. not a complaint, just a FYI.
Probably the peppermint... Hoping I don't have any more transcons in my December but if I do, I'll give it a try...
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Ate lunch before boarding, so didn't eat. But chicken katsu and soba salad on SAN-EWR today looked outstanding.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
One shrimp? one???? Not at least two? What "premium service" restaurant would serve one shrimp if you ordered a shrimp appetizer? One? I'll go to sleep saying "one.......?"
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
I had the same menu as @goodeats21 however, presentation is clearly different. The chilled appetizer clearly says shrimp and pineapple but for some reason, the shrimp never made the flight. The salad was good but the grapefruit did not work. I saw the person next to me pass on the grapefruit as well.

One thing that bothered me was that my first choice, the lamb, ran out, as the FA said only 8 lambs were loaded on the flight, for which the first two rows chose the lamb...I chose the chicken entree, which was extremely dry.

Dec 2015
EWR-SFO 28J
Lunch, however, it turned into dinner - Full report coming soon (not so good this time if you couldn't tell)

[/url]
Menu

Salad

Chicken entree

Gelato, not ice cream
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cxny1090
... One thing that bothered me was that my first choice, the lamb, ran out, as the FA said only 8 lambs were loaded on the flight, ...
Unfortunately as a Silver I would suspect you would frequently not get your first choice on the PS flights -- especially early into a new menu change cycle.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The presentation on that main is really unimpressive. My plates look like that after I've visited a buffet
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by physioprof
Ate lunch before boarding, so didn't eat. But chicken katsu and soba salad on SAN-EWR today looked outstanding.
Nice to see the katsu on a domestic flight. I have only seen it on Intl flights as the 2nd service on TPACs. One of the best meals from United, IMO.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
OR.....the FA's could actually 1) look at the catering printout sheet that they are supposed to get 2) log onto the internal site and look at the printouts themselves to maybe, just maybe familiarize themselves with the products which they are supposed to be doing in the firstplace. It's not like any of the information is hidden so they can't see it.

Which got me wondering though...if these devices are wifi enabled they could log onto the site while they are on the plane.
My idea is to get away from the printed sheet altogether. Too many papers as it is.

Given that the menus are mostly static within a quarter - sure, what's loaded on THIS flight might be different but there's only 'X' number of options available .. No reason it can't be built into the app. That way, WiFi isn't required.

Logging in before flying and trying to remember all the possible combinations is a recipe for disaster. Having the info at the fingertips is where it's at.

Now, combine this with some mystery flyers who are paying attention to service details, and you have no excuses. Not asking for penalties (nobody should be fired for putting the carrots on the wrong side of the plate) - but maybe a small token of appreciation for getting a perfect score on meal service - some rewards points or something. If you're serious about service consistency, the training needs to be there.

As the Great Gordon says ... "What you measure and reward is what you get."
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
As the Great Gordon says ... "What you measure and reward is what you get."
Two we use all the time "What gets measured gets done" and "Inspect what you Expect".
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Chicken entree
Ewww. Looks like the FA forgot to "compose" the dish. Or just plop all the components onto the plate and called it a day.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Or took it upon themselves to try and make the plate appear more "full".

My first reaction when the composed main was presented to me was "Where is the rest of it". The plate looks 3/4 empty if they don't spread it out.

Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Ewww. Looks like the FA forgot to "compose" the dish. Or just plop all the components onto the plate and called it a day.
That is really gross. How you could possibly plate that food and serve it? It makes the Golden Corral look like FCT lounge at FRA.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver
11/25/15 EWR-SFO p.s. 8:40pm departure (UA436)

I was very impressed by the new menu and food offerings (and full meal service for late flights):

New menu:

Tasty salad & appetizer:

Got the fish, was well seasoned although portion was small

Sundae made-to-order

Cookie, was a bit dry

Overall, thumbs up to UA for the improvements.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfortunately as a Silver I would suspect you would frequently not get your first choice on the PS flights -- especially early into a new menu change cycle.
Actually apparently there is a new standard to take orders - front to back. In fact, the person in front of me had a fit (could have been a five year old if I closed my eyes) who was a 1K and wanted the lamb. He made sure the FA knew his status for which the FA mentioned that there were many GS and 1K's on this flight and this was the new way to take orders. The FA also mentioned that when UA was UA pre-merger, he could have gotten his choice.

The FA said he could "make it work" so that this passenger could get the lamb - not really sure what he did but I think he asked someone in the front if they could switch. I didn't hear a "thank you" from this passenger but I wasn't expecting him to.

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
One shrimp? one???? Not at least two? What "premium service" restaurant would serve one shrimp if you ordered a shrimp appetizer? One? I'll go to sleep saying "one.......?"
I didn't even get a shrimp, just a slice of pineapple. I guess the shrimp never made the flight!

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Or took it upon themselves to try and make the plate appear more "full".

My first reaction when the composed main was presented to me was "Where is the rest of it". The plate looks 3/4 empty if they don't spread it out.
I think what bothers me that the product is inconsistent. Clearly what you had was presented well, even if it looks empty. What I got was very sloppy and disappointing (I come from a restaurant background thus the high standards!).

Originally Posted by enviroian
That is really gross. How you could possibly plate that food and serve it? It makes the Golden Corral look like FCT lounge at FRA.
Honestly it tasted like it came from Golden Corral...
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Actually apparently there is a new standard to take orders - front to back. In fact, the person in front of me had a fit (could have been a five year old if I closed my eyes) who was a 1K and wanted the lamb. He made sure the FA knew his status for which the FA mentioned that there were many GS and 1K's on this flight and this was the new way to take orders. The FA also mentioned that when UA was UA pre-merger, he could have gotten his choice. ...
Nope there is no new approach. This story has been used by some FA's for years -- you got a lazy FA, for more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2015-a.html .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.