Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by hirohito888
UA704
SFO-JFK

Boeing 757-200 PS
Meal: Dinner (Red-eye flight)

Menu only
The image did not come through. There was a full dinner service with printed menu on a p.s. redeye?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SFO777

Cookie was actually a brownie. Very good but...

Yo, United. What's the point of putting the brownie on top of the napkin. Put it on the plate with the napkin on the side so it is actually useable?? @:-)

A brownie is technically a type of bar cookie. And the paper napkin is there to absorb all the excess grease so you can have seconds.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA 441 - JFK-LAX (breakfast)

Took a couple of photos but given how dark the cabin was and how early it was, they didn't really come out and are poor quality. No menus provided for whatever reason. Breakfast started with fruit selection and Yoplait - pretty standard. For some reason I was not given a roll (I know they were passing out cinnamon rolls) so was a bit pissed about it...but being half-asleep and not that hungry I didn't make a stink. Main entree selection was quiche, cheesy grits, or Honey Chex cereal. Went with the quiche which was presented as a mini-pie. Good consistency overall, could have been a bit more flavorful / salty. Potatoes were chewy, perhaps a bit soggy. Sausage was delicious - best part of the meal.

Got a hot-baked chocolate chip cookie as we landed...will never refuse that!

Will opine on how the breakfast back in a couple days is - flying the exact same aircraft (as of now) back in a couple days.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Have they stopped catering the refreshments basket on short-hauls? Didn't receive it on SEA-SFO. Despite copy and pasting the meal windows listed on United.com to 1KVoice email, 1KVoice replied twice that anything under 2hr 19 minutes receives only "beverages."

Their customer service and their website, as well as the listed meal on the app/flight status page, are contradicting eachother. Is it so much to ask to know what to expect on a flight and not be told 3 different things?

United website: "Premium fruit and snacks"
Itinerary: "Refreshments"
App/Flight status : "Beverage service only"

Last edited by demkr; Oct 20, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by demkr
Have they stopped catering the refreshments basket on short-hauls? Didn't receive it on SEA-SFO. Despite copy and pasting the meal windows listed on United.com to 1KVoice email, 1KVoice replied twice that anything under 2hr 19 minutes receives only "beverages."

Their customer service and their website, as well as the listed meal on the app/flight status page, are contradicting eachother. Is it so much to ask to know what to expect on a flight and not be told 3 different things?

If so, that's pathetic. I just got off an AA flight on a 767 between MCO and MIA.

I received:

PDB of choice, drink of choice in the air (with re-fills on offer) and several passes of the snack basket...don't regret my decision to be an EXP with AA instead of and "over-entitled" 1K with UA.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by demkr

Unless it's been changed recently, it's a snack basket flight if it's after 10. Breakfasty bread/pastry for before 10. Known website coding issue.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
UA1800
MCO-EWR
757-200 (International)
Breakfast

Flight boarded at 7:10am for an 8am departure. When I walked up to the gate at 7:12am the gatehouse was empty and there were just a few people in the boarding queue for Y, easily bypassed using the Premier Access lane.

PDB of choice offered, and due to the extended ground time due to an early and short boarding process, refills were also offered.

After takeoff beverages were offered prior to the meal being served ^

Breakfast orders were taken front to back and choices included scrambled eggs with chicken apple sausage and asparagus or oatmeal (I went with the former)

Fruit was tasty and fresh except for the melon which was very under-ripened. Asparagus was good, sausage was very tasty I thought, eggs were decent enough but not overly exciting. Potatoes were awful; dry, boring, overcooked. Could have definitely used some ketchup.

The biscuit was also terrible. The same warmed-on-board variety that AA now uses. Tasteless, dry, and excessively crumbly. I really wish they would go for an actual baked on board biscuit.

Overall not a bad meal, but definitely a couple of components that I would like to see changed. Also not very filling. I was hungry again upon landing. In terms of quality and presentation, far superior to anything at AA at this point, and fairly on par with DL. Service from the SFO based crew was very good and attentive.

UA1248
EWR-BOS
737-900ER
Refreshments

Short flight with decent service. PDB of choice followed by drinks and a snack basket in the air. Nothing terribly notable otherwise. I was in 1A and 1B next to me was left open despite 24 people being on the upgrade list that were not cleared. That was a little surprising, but I'm not really complaining. The 739 is not a very pleasant ride, especially coming off a 752.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the purpose of drink coupons if not to use them in Y?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BlueSky72
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the purpose of drink coupons if not to use them in Y?
Give them to friends who fly in Y.

But yes, only for Y.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by BlueSky72
I don't understand the question; that's the exact purpose. If you're referring to the "first drink free" change, it's only the first drink that's free. Also plat doesn't get anything free, but does get tickets IIRC.

Back on topic, what's up w/ the fruit (specifically the melon) always being wayyy under-ripe? Is it a food safety thing?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
If you're referring to the "first drink free" change, it's only the first drink that's free. Also plat doesn't get anything free, but does get tickets IIRC.
What is the "first drink free" change? What changed? When is it applicable?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by nycityny
What is the "first drink free" change? What changed? When is it applicable?
It's applicable to 1k and GS only:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ree-gs-1k.html
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Had to teach the FA's what Buffalo Trace is
They do not stock alot right now. I had 2 and they only stocked 2 on each flight so far
But at least finally some good bourbon....now how about scotch?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Back on topic, what's up w/ the fruit (specifically the melon) always being wayyy under-ripe? Is it a food safety thing?
I love melons. I could eat a whole cantaloupe and honey dew a day. Fruit salads of the world I'll find that 70% of the time either one of the melons are under-ripe. I think I attribute it to the exponential rate that it can go from perfectly ripe to rotten. If I cut a cantaloupe in half and then leave the other one in the fridge or covered on the counter for more than a day it can quickly mush.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Too bad UA is so stingy on stocking the premium liquor. Guess I'll stick with G&Ts ☺️

Last edited by BlueSky72; Oct 23, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.