Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
Ran out of hot entree breakfast choices in First SEA->EWR?

My wife just e-mailed me that on her SEA-EWR flight, they ran out of hot breakfast meals up front. She had dozed off, and woke up during service, and was the last one to place her order. She is a 1k and burned an upgrade voucher on this flight.

I would think they should have had enough for each passenger in the cabin, and it was early enough into the service that an FA wouldn't have eaten it...

Does this happen often?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by booper
My wife just e-mailed me that on her SEA-EWR flight, they ran out of hot breakfast meals up front. She had dozed off, and woke up during service, and was the last one to place her order. She is a 1k and burned an upgrade voucher on this flight.

I would think they should have had enough for each passenger in the cabin, and it was early enough into the service that an FA wouldn't have eaten it...

Does this happen often?
The alternate is cold cereal/fruit/yogurt. No, they do not cater hot meals for every F seat. The catering is a choice of cereal or some egg concoction, sometimes a soufflé thing. If she dozed off, she may have missed her chance to select a hot meal. I'm surprised a 1K is unaware of how UA caters.

Some would argue those upgrading should be stuck with whatever is leftover. I am not one of them.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 22, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:49 am

Ah, got it. No, she just e-mailed that they had run out when they got to her, so she had the cereal meal.

She usually doesn't pay attention to the 1k perks - too busy working on the flights I think!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by booper
Ah, got it. No, she just e-mailed that they had run out when they got to her, so she had the cereal meal.

She usually doesn't pay attention to the 1k perks - too busy working on the flights I think!
Your original post suggests they were already starting service when she woke up. If she was awake when orders were taken, she should have been asked her choice.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
[Comment re former thread title edited by Moderator since the title has been corrected.]

Sounds like a case literally of snooze and lose

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 22, 2015 at 11:06 am Reason: See note above.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee

Sounds like a case literally of snooze and lose
Exactly. Not sure why status or the use of an upgrade certificate matters if one sleeps through the meal selection timing.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'm prone to dozing off during the first half hour of flight and usually mention to the purser/lead FA my meal choice shortly after boarding.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does not (nor does DL or AA) cater enough of every selection. They are likely to have more hot items than the cold cereal due to customer preference, but if everybody else ordered while your wife slept, not much to be done.

The suggestion or placing your order before you conk out is a good one.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The alternate is cold cereal/fruit/yogurt. No, they do not cater hot meals for every F seat.
Truthfully, I'd rather have the cereal/fruit/yogurt anyway... not an egg fan, so the cereal thing is general edible.

Just wish the banana was still a consistent thing. A bowl of honey nut cheerios, banana & yogurt was just fine with me.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Your original post suggests they were already starting service when she woke up. If she was awake when orders were taken, she should have been asked her choice.
I think she woke up after orders were taken, and subsequently placed one during service, but all the hot entrees were claimed. It sounds like she just got the alternate cold meal, which is fine.

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I was so tired/hung over I fell asleep during boarding on BRU-EWR (3 class sUA) in BF and it missed when they took meal orders. He took my order during first round of drinks, I did not get my first choice. The woman next to me (no status) got what I asked for my first choice.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UnitedMileage Plus Marriott Rewards
Meals on Non-stop IAD to HNL

Flying this sunday IAD to HNL in Business/First leaving at 9:00 am. It is listed as a 10 hour flight with a breakfast service. We all know that it will be served as soon as possible after take off. Assuming that takes 2 hours. What happens the rest of the flight ? Snacks? Pre-arrival meal?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: UA1K
listed as a breakfast flight so that is probably all that there is. might be some chips later on but i would bring some stuff on the plane with you.

best to reference http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nessfirst.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2015 at 3:00 pm Reason: repaired post
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hikerdave
Flying this sunday IAD to HNL in Business/First leaving at 9:00 am. It is listed as a 10 hour flight with a breakfast service. We all know that it will be served as soon as possible after take off. Assuming that takes 2 hours. What happens the rest of the flight ? Snacks? Pre-arrival meal?
You might get a cookie on a plastic plate about two hours before arrival. It pairs well with Bailey's.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be clear, you did not buy int'l BusinessFirst. You bought domestic First. You'll have a BF seat w/ domestic service and domestic-level food. Nothing fancy.

IAD-HNL is catered like EWR-HNL. Check out last post (JohnRuda's #531, as of now) in link below. Specific meals may vary, but availability will be similar:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...merged-36.html

The "French toast" mentioned is actually a "French toast soufflé".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 23, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.