Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Eff. 7 Oct. 2015 - First Alcoholic Drink in Economy free for GS and 1K.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Finally official!

"We now offer Global Services and 1K Premiers sitting in Economy a complimentary alcoholic beverage, plus free wine and beer for all Economy customers on long-haul international flights. "

https://unitedairtime.com/our-storie...des-from-2015/
See this thread for further confirmation and expansion to include food item:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1740529-complimentary-food-beverage-global-services-1k-members-when-seated-economy.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, KF

Two flights today and both times the flight attendant told me 1K and GS get their first alcoholic drink free in Y. They said it started today. Apols if there's already a separate thread on that.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by SGFlyer1
Two flights today and both times the flight attendant told me 1K and GS get their first alcoholic drink free in Y. They said it started today. Apols if there's already a separate thread on that.
If so, that is a very good change. UA used to do this often (purser would offer a drink, than me for my business), but it went away when CO took over.

AA does this (plus food) for EXP, DAL gives food/drinks in EC, which is where I sit if not upgraded. VX does the same (food drinks in MCS), as does WN if you are A list (or have a BizSelect Fare).

So UA is way, way behind the curve on this at this point...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SGFlyer1
Great news if true. Probably deserving of its own thread if confirmed.

Wonder if it will include a snack / fresh food item as well? Any mention of that?

My experience when using a drink chit was about 50% of the FAs would just say "save it for next time" though most of my experience is on single cabin UAX planes.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:23 am

It is official that the first drink for 1K and Gs Is complimentary in Y now, effective October 7th.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wonder if it will include a snack / fresh food item as well? Any mention of that?
On a p.s. flight two weeks ago, my RPU didn't clear. I ordered the breakfast scramble. The FA checked the manifest, confirmed my name, and then refused to charge me for the item. Might not have anything to do with this program, but it was a nice gesture.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Wayside
It is official that the first drink for 1K and Gs Is complimentary in Y now, effective October 7th.
I suspect we can thank Oscar for that one. Something simple to implement from the very top, and something that prior management would never have done.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, KF
Both my flights yesterday were domestic, one mainline and one UAX. The UAX FA proactively approached me and asked if I'd like a free drink as a thank you for being 1K. On the other flight, they told me after I'd ordered and presented my drink chit. Both said this was a new policy, definitely not just international.

No food freebies that I experienced but I'd brought my own on board anyway and didn't ask.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
That's a nice gesture. Simple and effective - my only UA flights are in the AM right now, but in about a month I should be able to enjoy this perk
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Wayside
This is a very nice change - that probably costs very little. Last night from SNA-DEN they asked me if I wanted a drink. I said no since I had to drive, but it made me feel better about United.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I received two free drinks in Y last night on a UA Express flight. Wasn't sure if it was because of the maintenance delay, turbulence, no catering for a 3.5 hour flight, or another reason. Looked like they had a printout, which must have included those eligible to receive a free drink.

Thumbs up.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Duke777
I received two free drinks in Y last night on a UA Express flight. Wasn't sure if it was because of the maintenance delay, turbulence, no catering for a 3.5 hour flight, or another reason. Looked like they had a printout, which must have included those eligible to receive a free drink.

Thumbs up.
Interesting. Nice to know this is also being implemented on United Express as well. That is usually when I end up in economy....on a single cabin aircraft.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

Thumbs up.
This printout may have started a little earlier. On my last flight a couple weeks ago, the Y flight attendant thanked me and my wife for being 1Ks, out of the blue, not offering a drink . I was surprised as I have found that post merger Y FAs seem to not care about the manifest at all. Back in the old United days I would get business cards from the pilots and purser every so often and frequent free drinks in Y proactively from very experienced SEA-based FAs.

Nice to see this "little thing", hoping to see more little things they can do that could have BIG impact:

1. Allow GPUs on all fare classes.
2. Offer TODs to elites too (preferably further discounted based on status?)

Everyone please send in through UnitedAirtime quickly your wishlists while they might be listening! I suggest sending each suggestion as a separate submission so they can classify them easier.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:33 pm

They've actually had a printout of 1K/GS in Economy for several years now.

Just saw a manifest today and same thing.

Prob easier to limit it to 1K / GS so no change to the 1980s style printout.

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Quote:

Thumbs up.

This printout may have started a little earlier. On my last flight a couple weeks ago, the Y flight attendant thanked me and my wife for being 1Ks, out of the blue, not offering a drink . I was surprised as I have found that post merger Y FAs seem to not care about the manifest at all. Back in the old United days I would get business cards from the pilots and purser every so often and frequent free drinks in Y proactively from very experienced SEA-based FAs.

Nice to see this "little thing", hoping to see more little things they can do that could have BIG impact:

1. Allow GPUs on all fare classes.
2. Offer TODs to elites too (preferably further discounted based on status?)

Everyone please send in through UnitedAirtime quickly your wishlists while they might be listening! I suggest sending each suggestion as a separate submission so they can classify them easier.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Free drinks for GS and 1K

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, please delete if so:

http://www.briansumers.com/home/2015/10/8/united-airlines-will-give-free-booze-to-its-best-customers-even-in-coach
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Sorry but a free drink for 1K/GS in coach is not a "surprise and delight" when it's a published perk well-known across the internet.

Surprise and delight is if the act happens randomly. Now all GS and 1Ks expect it when flying coach.

I do like the change. Don't get me wrong. It's just not any part of a surprise.

A surprise will be me getting GF upgrade from my "Z" fare ORD-BRU as part of a west coast to Africa trip later this month. Maybe the ORD lounge will have a "surprise" for me so I can be "delighted"

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.