Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 UA UC (open), GS Lounge (open) & Arrivals Lounge (now open)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

United Club Hours 5:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. daily (as of October 2023) (standard UC access policies0
​​​​​​Global First Class GS / VIP lounge (newly open May 2022) (GS and at time 1K Polaris customers -- based on space)

Arrival Lounge Hours 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (open as of June 13, 2022)
The arrivals lounge at London Heathrow, located immediately after immigration and customs, is a shared space with shower suites, breakfast items and more. This lounge is exclusively available for United Polaris business class travelers.
Eligible travelers must be flying on a same-day ticket arriving before noon and cannot bring guests. Additionally, United Club memberships and one-time passes don’t grant access to this lounge.

Archive thread: LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]
Print Wikipost

LHR Terminal 2 UA UC (open), GS Lounge (open) & Arrivals Lounge (now open)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Both.
so you were flying coach and business at the same time ... that's interesting ...
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cfischer
so you were flying coach and business at the same time ... that's interesting ...
Probably got one of those "straddle" deals.

David
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I believe the reply was saying that many 1Ks fly through LHR, in both Y and J.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Or....I flew thru LHR more than once since it re-opened.

Originally Posted by Microwave
I believe the reply was saying that many 1Ks fly through LHR, in both Y and J.
Yes, that too...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xenochria
I saw that it was on the cards pre pandemic, wondering if it was going to happen at all.
The current "lounge" is a United Club. They are not going to turn it into a Polaris Lounge and forego a UC. The problem at LHR is that the former GFL is too small to be converted into a Polaris Lounge (and certainly too small to be a UC). If UA wants a Polaris Lounge at LHR they're going to have to find/create a larger space than the old GFL. They could make that new space a Polaris Lounge or make it a UC and convert the existing UC into a Polaris Lounge. Doesn't seem to be any movement currently in that direction. Summer's been great for United, but only a more significant return of business travel is likely to get UA moving on a LHR Polaris Lounge. I've looked at flights in the fall/winter to/from London and they seem somewhat below pre-pandemic levels, load-wise.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 5, 2022 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The current "lounge" is a United Club. They are not going to turn it into a Polaris Lounge and forego a UC. The problem at LHR is that the former GFL is too small to be converted into a Polaris Lounge (and certainly too small to be a UC). If UA wants a Polaris Lounge at LHR they're going to have to find/create a larger space than the old GFL. They could make that new space a Polaris Lounge or make it a UC and convert the existing UC into a Polaris Lounge.
IMHO the biggest benefit of the PL is the ability to eat a decent meal on the ground prior to an overnight flight. Given the fact that UA flights out of LHR are all daytime flights I don't think the need for a PL is anywhere as big as it is at the dmestic UA hubs.
SPN Lifer and Dyce like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
IMHO the biggest benefit of the PL is the ability to eat a decent meal on the ground prior to an overnight flight. Given the fact that UA flights out of LHR are all daytime flights I don't think the need for a PL is anywhere as big as it is at the dmestic UA hubs.
Yeah, it would also be predominantly a departure lounge (versus Stateside lounges that see a lot of connecting traffic coming off Polaris flights). Still, there are definitely periods at LHR with multiple departures that would need a sizeable lounge capacity to accomodate. The flights aren't exactly spread out evenly through the day. And a Polaris Lounge is likely to attract more passengers from other *A carriers than the UC does. Example - if I was on AC out of LHR, I'd definitely go to the Polaris Lounge instead of AC's.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I wonder how much of the crowding is down to people that are using it who are not on UA metal.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I wonder how much of the crowding is down to people that are using it who are not on UA metal.
At the United Club, I'm guessing not much. Not sure the UC is that much better than the other *A lounges at LHR. I'm guessing any strays from other airlines might be balanced by UA strays to their lounges. A Polaris Lounge, however, would draw other airlines' passengers, IMHO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Also… The food selections at the current United Club at LHR far exceed what’s available at domestic United Clubs, so that makes the lack of a Polaris Lounge less of an issue than if the UC had only the typical domestic offerings.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by JacobNL
UC in LHR today (Fourth of July)

There was also mac'n'cheese and cornbread. And lots of US flags.
Hmm - in the "GS lounge" they had decorations on the 4th but none of the "american food" you mention. While it's nice to have a less crowded space, I do wish they mirrored the full food selection in both sides of the UC. I did find it odd to put up decorations and not actually do anything special food wise
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
....I did find it odd to put up decorations and not actually do anything special food wise
I thought there were hot dogs? Looks like hot dog buns in upper right of photo...
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I thought there were hot dogs? Looks like hot dog buns in upper right of photo...
Right - those photos were from the "regular" United Club setup. The separate Global Services side of the club had decorations but none of the "American" food items (though the desserts were mostly the same).
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:10 pm

United Club Access

My wife and I will be arriving at LHR in a few weeks in the early morning but we won't be able to access our accommodations until mid-afternoon. Our accommodations will be providing a car service from LHR into London but we have no place to hang out until we can get into our flat.

Neither of us have any kind of status and we will be flying economy. Is it possible to buy access to the United Club for a few hours?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by colbyseider
My wife and I will be arriving at LHR in a few weeks in the early morning but we won't be able to access our accommodations until mid-afternoon. Our accommodations will be providing a car service from LHR into London but we have no place to hang out until we can get into our flat.

Neither of us have any kind of status and we will be flying economy. Is it possible to buy access to the United Club for a few hours?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can buy access to the United Club at LHR assuming you’re flying on UA (or Star alliance partner). You should be able to buy passes at the door but can also get passes on the app/website in advance. I believe the going rate is $59 USD per person. There may also be club access + economy plus bundles available for your reservation if that’s of interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.