Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner

I'm considering flying SFO-LHR (UA), then 3 1/2 hours later LHR-EDI (VS, operated by EI; "Little Red," right?), in late November. All one ticket, issued by UA.

Being a worrywart, here are my concerns:

1) In case of schedule changes or irrops messing up the connection, I assume that I'd be on my own to rebook, since the LHR-EDI leg isn't Star Alliance, even though it's all on a UA ticket. Correct?

2) If things go as planned at LHR, UA will have moved from T1 to the T2 by then. But I don't know when the VS domestic flights will make the T1 to T2 move. I realize a T1 to T2 transfer isn't the end of the world, but I wonder if I should make life simple and do the whole trip on BA. (I really prefer not to connect in the US instead; with my luck I'd be stuck in the snow at EWR.)

Sorry if these are stoopid questions. I'm not a road warrior like many of you. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
As long as its one ticket you should be fine. We have the same thing planned for April. Did it last year on two separate tickets, as UA didn't book VS last year, and that was no problem. Be aware that "Little Red" has strict carryon weight limits.

When is UA moving to Terminal 2??
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by mmack
When is UA moving to Terminal 2??
Others here may know better than I, but I've read that it should be as soon as the new, improved, all-singing, all-dancing T2 reopens, which is scheduled for early June. They're phasing in the move-overs, in order to avoid a replay of the mess that was the T5 opening.

And thanks for replying. I guess my main concern is that, in case of rescheduling or irrops, I'll be stuck in limbo with neither airline helping me.

P.S. to Mods: Sorry for not originally posting on this thread. Thanks for your help
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On one ticket, UA will be responsible for rebooking you if they blow your arrival at LHR. Doesn't matter that EI isn't *A.

The 3.5 hour connection gives you lots of time, obviously.

LHR has a nifty "Connections" function on its website, with step-by-step instructions on how to transfer: heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections.

Unfortunately, no info on T2 yet, but I assume it will be updated prior to the terminal opening.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
T2 -> T3 international to international LHR

UA starts flying to T2 at LHR on 6/4/14.

We have a flight in mid June from SFO-LHR arriving at 7:10am at T2.

I'm trying to book a separate ticket for onward travel to CPH on either BA (9:55am) at T5 or SK (12:25p) from T3.

As neither are located in T2 - I'll need to transfer via bus (T5 vs T3)

I assume 2hr 45min is more than enough time to catch the BA flight and save myself waiting another 1:30h in the airport for the SK.

Will UA have any problems interlining bags when I check in at SFO through LHR to CPH if these are separate tickets? Or is it better to catch the later flight to stay in *A. The miles don't matter that much to me as it is such a short flight.

Last edited by sfonorth; Mar 17, 2014 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:32 pm

T1 to T2

UA moves to T2 in June, and LH moves to T1 in October. Since T2 is currently closed, you can't find out from the LHR website what the connection time would be for a LH flight landing at T1 and a departing UA flight at T2. Anyone have an idea what the MCT will be when T2 opens?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
UA moves to T2 in June, and LH moves to T1 in October. Since T2 is currently closed, you can't find out from the LHR website what the connection time would be for a LH flight landing at T1 and a departing UA flight at T2. Anyone have an idea what the MCT will be when T2 opens?
If you buy it now, it will fall back to the generic published figure of 1h:

Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
OFFLINE   .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
**-UA II SUP   ALL  - FLT    1 - 9999 
  ALL - KOREA DEM PEOPLES RE  
**-UA II SUP   ALL  - FLT    1 - 9999 ALL - SYRIA  
**-UA II SUP   ALL  - FLT    1 - 9999 
  KOREA DEM PEOPLES RE - ALL   
**-UA II SUP   ALL  - FLT    1 - 9999 SYRIA - ALL   
**-UA II  1.45 ALL  - FLT    1 - 1764 TRM 5  - 1  
**-UA II  1.15 ALL  - FLT    1 - 1764 TRM 3  - 4  
**-UA II  1.00 TRM 1  - 1  
LH-** II  1.30 FLT 5326 - 5535 - ALL  TRM 3  - 1  
  CANADA - ALL   
LH-** II  1.15 FLT 6480 - 6699 - ALL  TRM 1  - 1  
LH-** II  1.30 FLT 6480 - 6699 - ALL  TRM 3  - 1  
LH-** II  1.30 FLT 6480 - 6699 - ALL  TRM 1  - 3  
LH-** II  1.30 FLT 6480 - 6699 - ALL  TRM 1  - 4  
LH-** II  1.15 TRM 1  - 1  
LH-** II  1.30 TRM 4  - 1  
**-** II  1.00 TRM 1  - 2  
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mduell
If you buy it now, it will fall back to the generic published figure of 1h:
thanks
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
United first airline from LHR T2

United started flying from LHR T2 today, consolidating its operations from two different terminals earlier. Also all Star Alliance carriers will move to T2 by October of this year. May be this will be one more connection point for transfers, especially to cities not served via FRA. This would be a good benefit for MP redemptions with connection opportunities.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...rport-s-new-t2
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Why would it be an additional connection point? Nothing is changing - except better MCTs, which is a minor increase, at most, of available connections.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
United first airline from LHR T2

Flying out of T2 for the first time today and a few observations I thought I'd share.

1 - I take the Heathrow Express and T1 was very convenient. T2 is a long walk from the Heathrow Express.
2 - A lot of UA and Heathrow staff available to point you in the right direction. I don't know if this will last since it just opened this week but it was nice to see them out in force.
3 - I was hoping UA would get gates close to the terminal, but alas they are as far if not farther than the ones in T1. The signage suggests 20 minutes to get from the departure lounge to the gate and they are right.

I didn't get a chance to check out the lounge due to time (see point #1 above) so not sure if I would have got in as a *A Gold or UA 1K in Economy.

I only popped in to the London Pride store as it was something I'd not seen in T1 and I love their product.

I'll be interested in hearing experiences from others and any tips to shortcut the trek.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
3 - I was hoping UA would get gates close to the terminal, but alas they are as far if not farther than the ones in T1. The signage suggests 20 minutes to get from the departure lounge to the gate and they are right.
Did you really mean to say it takes 20 minutes to walk from the lounge to the gates?!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by davidviolin
Did you really mean to say it takes 20 minutes to walk from the lounge to the gates?!
No the lounge is in the same area as the United gates, however it does take a good 20 minutes to get from the main T2 area, to the T2B area which is where the United Club and United gates are.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'll be interested in hearing experiences from others and any tips to shortcut the trek.
No there is no shortcut I'm afraid. All longhaul flights use the satellite. Only when they build another satellite (T2C) there will be a transit system but they won't even start building it until after 2020. More likely 2030!

Originally Posted by davidviolin
They tell you to allow 25 minutes from security to the gates, or 20 minutes from the main departure area of T2A. The UA lounges are in T2B.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I didn't get a chance to check out the lounge due to time (see point #1 above) so not sure if I would have got in as a *A Gold or UA 1K in Economy.
? You would have had *A access based on the int'l departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.