Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RockinRon
I didn't get a chance to check out the lounge due to time (see point #1 above) so not sure if I would have got in as a *A Gold or UA 1K in Economy.
Originally Posted by Kacee
? You would have had *A access based on the int'l departure.
You missed what sounds like the best United Club in the whole system.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
We are departing from T2. Very excited and i plan on dragging my wife all around the new terminal! (we are both in Biz First).
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
T2 arrival--Lounge access

Arriving at T2 on UA next week (SFO-LHR)
Connect to T5 on BA 3.5 hrs later (LHR-CPH)

Separate PNRs. Assuming UA will interline my bags in SFO to CPH onto BA, does anyone know if I can physically access the United Club Lounge at T2 before taking the connection bus to T5. Or is the set such that passengers with flight connections aren't able to directly access the T2 terminal.

As a back up, we have award tickets on SK 5.5 hrs after arrival (or 2 additional hours) that we can cancel if we can't interline or can't make the connection to BA in time.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
You missed what sounds like the best United Club in the whole system.
I know! Poor planning on my part and not realizing I'd spend so much time walking from Heathrow Express to T2 and then to the satellite. Live and learn! Hopefully other FTers will learn from my mistake.

I'll see the lounge the next time I am there.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by sfonorth
Arriving at T2 on UA next week (SFO-LHR)
Connect to T5 on BA 3.5 hrs later (LHR-CPH)

Separate PNRs. Assuming UA will interline my bags in SFO to CPH onto BA, does anyone know if I can physically access the United Club Lounge at T2 before taking the connection bus to T5. Or is the set such that passengers with flight connections aren't able to directly access the T2 terminal.

As a back up, we have award tickets on SK 5.5 hrs after arrival (or 2 additional hours) that we can cancel if we can't interline or can't make the connection to BA in time.
Arriving and departing passengers are separated at LHR. Since the United Club is in the departure area of T2B I doubt very much you can access it without a boarding pass for a flight departing from T2.

SK will still be operating from T3 until September, so having a boarding pass for an SK flight does not help with lounge access either.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Arriving and departing passengers are separated at LHR. Since the United Club is in the departure area of T2B I doubt very much you can access it without a boarding pass for a flight departing from T2.

SK will still be operating from T3 until September, so having a boarding pass for an SK flight does not help with lounge access either.
I can confirm that if you are flying out of T1 you can also access the UA Club. I was in it today.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
I can confirm that if you are flying out of T1 you can also access the UA Club. I was in it today.
Correct. UA's previous gates were in T2B which has now been expanded. So, pro tem, it is connected airside to both T1 and T2.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
No the lounge is in the same area as the United gates, however it does take a good 20 minutes to get from the main T2 area, to the T2B area which is where the United Club and United gates are.
Gee, thats still a lot of walking. Especially with the Express train situation...
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by davidviolin
Gee, thats still a lot of walking. Especially with the Express train situation...
It certainly is good excercise , Im glad I had my runners on
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Library Card holder
Well, I'm starting to think that United Airlines cares about our physical fitness.

I flew out yesterday and here's my summary of the highlights.

1. Arrived via Heathrow Express. I cannot believe what a long walk it is now to T2. Triple or quadruple what it was to T1. If you're arriving this way, give yourself an extra 25 minutes.

2. I got slightly confused at checkin. Finally found the Premier lines BEHIND the Economy checkin area.

3. Security still working out some kinks. Also, I set off the metal detector with nothing on me. Maybe it was a zipper?

4. Nice terminal - reminiscent of T5. No Pret a Manger though, which is disappointing.

5. LOOOOOOOONG walk to the gate/lounge area. People movers only move in that direction. Still takes 20 minutes. I think I remember 3 escalators and some "hills" in the walkway.

6. Once I got to the lounge and was told they had run out of the veggie sausages (which I REALLY wanted), I realized that getting back to the terminal and the restaurants there would be about another 25 minutes. (plus coming back to the gates again). Limited selection right by the gate, but I found a drugstore sandwich.

7. Lounge - beautiful decor. Food options were so-so. REALLY crowded. Lots of fat .......s with their feet up on chairs despite the numerous signs. Bar service was slow, but drinks were good and free.

8. Actual gates were nice, but it wasn't completely obvious for most which line to use. Many people turned away from the group 1 line.

9. I miss the old terminal.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:30 am

Tried the new terminal yesterday, same observation as mentioned above. If you arrive by heathrow express, plan for 45 min hike to the lounge/gate. If you walk really fast and can get people out of your way, you may make it in 30-35 min. The security line was fast, as UA is the only airline there. When they add more airlines, may need to add another 10-15 min. If need to check luggage, add another 10-15 min. So think twice when booking the 7:30am flight.

Similar stores as in T1, only ones missing I can notice is the Hamleys and the world of whiskey store but I assume the duty free store offers similar whiskey selection. The stores are pretty spread out on two levels so more walking if you want to do some shopping, and are 15-20 min away from the lounge/gate.

The UA lounge is really nice, but didn't have much time to spend there due to the several miles hike!

Was wondering whether there is short cut if walking through T1, as T1 & T2 seem to be connected based on the sign. According to heathrow website, its only 10 min. walk from T1 to T2, sounds like a much faster route.

In all, I do miss the T1 because of the walking time.

Last edited by presario1626; Jun 7, 2014 at 5:41 am
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Correct. UA's previous gates were in T2B which has now been expanded. So, pro tem, it is connected airside to both T1 and T2.
I take it that the link between T1 and T2 is close to gate B47 as you see on this map. In order for some gates in T2B to be usable some part of T1 will have to be demolished.

Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
No, the link between T1 and T2 is at the terminal end.

T1 will be demolished once all remaining airlines exit it before the end of the year.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk
No, the link between T1 and T2 is at the terminal end.
Thanks. So it's a long walk to T1A and through Flight Connections.

I was thinking of these images (by DELLAS I believe) and wondering if T2B was somehow directly linked to T1.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf3a82299.jpg
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps80d7666d.jpg

T1 will be demolished once all remaining airlines exit it before the end of the year.
Not quite according to this post. I understand baggage handling for T2 is currently located in T1 and they cannot demolish the main part of T1 until baggage system is built as part of T2A extension. However, it makes sense to demolish some T1 piers so all the T2B gates can actually be used.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by presario1626
If you arrive by heathrow express, plan for 45 min hike to the lounge/gate. If you walk really fast and can get people out of your way, you may make it in 30-35 min. The security line was fast, as UA is the only airline there. When they add more airlines, may need to add another 10-15 min. If need to check luggage, add another 10-15 min. So think twice when booking the 7:30am flight.

Similar stores as in T1, only ones missing I can notice is the Hamleys and the world of whiskey store but I assume the duty free store offers similar whiskey selection. The stores are pretty spread out on two levels so more walking if you want to do some shopping, and are 15-20 min away from the lounge/gate.
The arrival by tube is about the same as with T1. Take the lifts, not the escalator as the latter takes forever as you have to take several different ones - it's quite a climb.

One of the security people said that it was still minimally staffed as there's only one airline in T1. As more move in, more security staff will move over from T1, so I should imagine, when the dust has settled, that the lines will be similar to T1, although the space seems better designed.

Checking a bag should not add any time - it didn't for me - as you still need to go through the US security nonsense, so have to speak to someone before proceeding.

Personally, I think the shops are MUCH better - the big news being that there's a John Lewis in the Terminal. However, I didn't have much time to explore as I was set on getting to the UC as fast as possible!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.