Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
Kacee jsloan Good info, I also thought the price for UC was steep, for just a few visits, but I was going to justify it by getting the United CC that will offer 50K miles plus lounge access to Justify.
OK -- just make sure that 50K United miles are useful to you before going that route. (Business class within the South Asia region might be a good use for them). Otherwise, I'd ask if they have a no-annual-fee promo instead. Since you'd only need lounge access for a couple of months, you could cancel afterwards.

(If you're going this route, note that you'll need a couple of weeks for the physical United Club card to be delivered before you can use it for access. The credit card won't be accepted as proof of membership).
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The only bad thing that I'm reading about TK- Seems like super difficult to find *A award availability- and since I fly to Asia the most, not sure if their award chart will make sense for me.
With the exception of a few carriers (e.g., AS, LH), accruing within an airline program is, in general, no longer the best way to score long-haul premium cabin awards. The transferable points currencies (Amex, Chase, Citi, and Marriott) give you a much higher chance of actually finding a premium cabin seat on the dates you want to travel, since you can use them across programs and alliances.

They do fly to SE Asia via Turkey, but seems like their international biz product is not competitive?
Their product is excellent. The biggest issue is you have to go through Istanbul to get anywhere.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee
With the exception of a few carriers (e.g., AS, LH), accruing within an airline program is, in general, no longer the best way to score long-haul premium cabin awards. The transferable points currencies (Amex, Chase, Citi, and Marriott) give you a much higher chance of actually finding a premium cabin seat on the dates you want to travel, since you can use them across programs and alliances.

Their product is excellent. The biggest issue is you have to go through Istanbul to get anywhere.

Great feedback; was reading a few reviews on their biz product and seems like most "bloggers" gave them thumbs down due to their 2-3-2 biz class set up (and no direct isle access). But also read that their 787 may have all direct, but don't think it flies to West Coast of the US yet...

Last edited by get0ffdanutzz; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Great feedback; was reading a few reviews on their biz product and seems like most "bloggers" gave them thumbs down due to their 2-3-2 biz class set up (and no direct isle access). But also read that their 787 may have all direct, but don't think it flies to West Coast of the US yet...
The seat is super comfortable and very long. The food is fantastic, generally considered the best of any airline in J. Yes, the downside is no direct aisle access (and you don't want to be the middle of the three). But note that many *A carriers, including UA, do not offer direct aisle access throughout their fleet. And some (e.g., LH, LX) don't offer it at all.
jsloan and get0ffdanutzz like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:47 am

MIA United Club Access

I'm aware that MIA does not have a United Club, however, does my United Club membership card grant me access to any Star Alliance partner lounges at MIA?

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
I'm aware that MIA does not have a United Club, however, does my United Club membership card grant me access to any Star Alliance partner lounges at MIA?

Thanks.
Yes, Avianca VIP Lounge in terminal J if you are departing on a *A flight
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Update: was NOT allowed access to MLL

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
It's worth trying to enter the MLL with just your boarding pass, especially if it's a UA ticket. I wouldn't be surprised if AC could recognize your membership by scanning a UA barcode. I would be surprised if it were on an AC barcode. But I have no recent experience with either.

I would also try the electronic card if the boarding pass didn't work.

A lot of people use MLL memberships in the US and United Club memberships in Canada, so it would make sense if the system was set up to work. Let us know if you get in for future reference.

There's no way I'd pay $50 to access an AC MLL ... and that goes double for the YYZ transborder one.
So just to follow up, I came home today on United metal YYZ-IAD. I was not admitted to the Maple Leaf lounge. The receptionist even showed me on the computer where there are words about no digital cards allowed. I had a nice breakfast and a rum & diet across the aisle instead. Oh well. Now I know I better find that card!
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by karatelovr
So just to follow up, I came home today on United metal YYZ-IAD. I was not admitted to the Maple Leaf lounge. The receptionist even showed me on the computer where there are words about no digital cards allowed. I had a nice breakfast and a rum & diet across the aisle instead. Oh well. Now I know I better find that card!

Wonder how this is going to work now that MM companions no longer get physical cards?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by karatelovr
UC Membership?

The digital UC Membership card specifically states the physical card is required at partner clubs and the *A lounge rules say the same thing, so this requirement should not be unexpected

Originally Posted by AceReport
Wonder how this is going to work now that MM companions no longer get physical cards?
This thread is about UC Membership, not *G access. Digital cards are acceptable for *G but the preferred method is *G *A BP. Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020] -- reports great success with *A BP and/or digital cards -- very rare occasional issues have been raised in other threads Displaying *G card on UA apps
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2020 at 7:14 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DG206
yeah, was GMP-CJU on OZ. Lady was pretty rude about it too
Unfortunately it could just be a training issue or the agent is not familiar. I have used the card at ICN at all OZ lounges without any issue many times while flying in economy. However, I did have an issue accessing the TG lounge in MNL because the agent was not familiar, I contacted TG about it and they did apologize and said the agent was not familiar with the card.

I have also been denied to the SK lounge in CPH 2x on separate occasions. The funny thing is, the second time I was denied, I was already in the lounge and I left. When I came back, there was a different agent, and she refused to let me in.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Comp4k
Which lounges in TPE wanted the physical card? I’m heading there next week and like you only have the digital card.
Originally Posted by ttniu
I used SQ lounge with only digital UC membership card without any problem.

I used BR lounge twice (2 separate trips). First time I was admitted with only digital UC membership card (morning), 2nd time (night) the agents demanded to see the actual physical card. The funny thing was that those EVA agents really only wanted to see the *A symbol on the physical card, they didn't scan it, swipe it or even bother to look at the exp date. *A symbol was literally all they cared about. And for what it's worth, the digital UC membership does not have *A symbol on it.
My wife & I each have our physical lifetime UC cards, so hopefully we will have no problem getting ourselves and our son in at TPE in two weeks, as we wait 6 hours to fly to SFO.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I’m flying from OPO on UA as Star Gold with Lifetime Club membership. I see there is a Club in OPO, will I have access if flying coach on UA? I know this is a new route, so not yet listed for my end of March flight. ( Also interested in the same situation for my coach UA trip EWR-NCE-EWR in May).
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
I’m flying from OPO on UA as Star Gold with Lifetime Club membership. I see there is a Club in OPO, will I have access if flying coach on UA? ....
There is no UC at OPO. *A lounge finder reports UA uses a contract lounges, if so you would not have access unless in Business.

The same is true for NCE, contract lounge.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The ANA lounge (not affiliated with the Japanese airline) is the only lounge at OPO. You'll need to either have a United Business ticket, some other method (listed on their website here) or pay 24.83EUR to enter.

Last edited by diburning; Mar 8, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but does anyone know of the rules of using a UC membership with guests for the AC MLL lounge at LAX? I have an AC trip to YYZ early next year (assuming open borders ofc) and was wondering how this would work. I'll be traveling with 2 other no status people, I have UA gold so I know I can do with one guest but I'm going to get the club card soon anyways for the rest of my UA travels domestically and was wondering what the guest rules are with the club membership at these *A affiliated lounges? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.