Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Your *G should get you into LH and SK lounges in Terminal B. Whether or not the extra hassle and time to get there and re-clear security etc. is worth it or not is another question.

See thread: Access to LH Lounge at EWR
Thanks! Do you still have to re-clear security? Recently I have been taking the bus past security from C over to A to use that UA lounge since it's much nicer than any in C, and the bus always stops at B on the way there and back. I assumed I could just get off and go into B and take the bus back to C without security, no? I for sure can go between C and A on the bus with no security.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jkrun03
Thanks! Do you still have to re-clear security? Recently I have been taking the bus past security from C over to A to use that UA lounge since it's much nicer than any in C, and the bus always stops at B on the way there and back. I assumed I could just get off and go into B and take the bus back to C without security, no? I for sure can go between C and A on the bus with no security.
It's all in that thread.

Also - where did you see 'conflicting' information about not being granted access to the B lounges?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by aacharya
Your 1K <*Gold> gives access. No need to pull the card out.
Disregard my last post. Thanks for the link, it clarifies my question about access and needing to clear security. I need to get better at finding these threads before I post ha., but I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by aacharya
It's all in that thread.

Also - where did you see 'conflicting' information about not being granted access to the B lounges?
I think I got my wires crossed forgetting this is an international itinerary, so *A Gold applies. The question I had in the past was whether I could access the LH lounge when on a domestic ticket by using my physical Club Card, this is where there was odd wording in the terms for club membership. I can go look it up if your curious.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2019 at 1:54 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:14 am

Any *Gold (yes, including UA *G) can access non-UA *G lounges even for pure domestic itinerary (as long as you are departing on a *alliance flight in the same airport)

There's only a restriction for UA *G trying to access UA lounge for pure domestic itinerary
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 23, 2019 at 11:26 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Do you still need physical club card for the Maple Leaf Lounge?

I'll be flying to Toronto for the first time (usually drive) and I wanted to make use of the lounge before my return flight. I read on the united app that I need to show them a physical club card (along with digital boarding pass) to get in. Is this still true? I have no idea where my physical card is - does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've been on United's website but their FAQ for the club membership does not cover this topic. I found one blog that said I could call, wait on hold and it took about 4 weeks. Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by karatelovr
I'll be flying to Toronto for the first time (usually drive) and I wanted to make use of the lounge before my return flight. I read on the united app that I need to show them a physical club card (along with digital boarding pass) to get in. Is this still true? I have no idea where my physical card is - does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've been on United's website but their FAQ for the club membership does not cover this topic. I found one blog that said I could call, wait on hold and it took about 4 weeks. Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks!
No, you won't need your physical card at the YYZ US MLL. They just scan the boarding pass for eligibility.

As a backup, download the United app for iOS/Android - your United card on the app should be sufficient if the boarding pass scan has issues.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
No, you won't need your physical card at the YYZ US MLL. They just scan the boarding pass for eligibility.

As a backup, download the United app for iOS/Android - your United card on the app should be sufficient if the boarding pass scan has issues.
Are they actually able to see United Club membership status, or would they be using *G status? I have never checked what all is in the boarding pass barcode, but I wouldn't be surprised if, without *G, you need the United Club membership card.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I doubt UC membership would show up on BP, but one would think it should show up in UA App. Othewise it be a struggle without the card .....
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Are they actually able to see United Club membership status, or would they be using *G status? I have never checked what all is in the boarding pass barcode, but I wouldn't be surprised if, without *G, you need the United Club membership card.
For the UA scanners, membership is in the bar code. I have no idea whether that works at partner lounges. Just to be safe, I would carry my UC membership card if I intended to rely on it for access to a partner lounge. Here's the published rule:

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
For the UA scanners, membership is in the bar code. I have no idea whether that works at partner lounges. Just to be safe, I would carry my UC membership card if I intended to rely on it for access to a partner lounge. Here's the published rule:

Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
Anyone know how I get a duplicate card? I do have the app and my card is on there - it's just a bar code, no membership number or even anything about * Alliance). (which is where I read about needing the physical card). Never mind. Just answered my own question, there is a number on that same screen I can call - hopefully they'll send me a replacement physical card at no charge! (but that is a pain to carry though....oh well)
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:13 pm

Digital card acceptance is YMMV. The digital card afaik still contains wording "This digital card is only accepted at United Club locations"

No data points whether AC accepts/denies digital card - OP should get a physical UC club card regardless.

See
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...al-card-3.html
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Are they actually able to see United Club membership status, or would they be using *G status?
Yeah, sorry my information in my first response was pertaining to *G. Shouldn't have assumed, my apologies.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:12 pm

UPDATE: just got off the phone with Club services. They said yes I would need a physical card and they would be happy to send one for $50 in 3-4 weeks time. Not worth it to me. I will wait to see if I get a new card when my membership renews in May. If I don't, I will re-evaluate replacing it based on future international travel. Any guesses on the reason for a "physical card"? Is it just their scanners aren't updated with the right programming to go with my digital card?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UPDATE: just got off the phone with Club services. They said yes I would need a physical card and they would be happy to send one for $50 in 3-4 weeks time.
That's absolutely ridiculous.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
UPDATE: just got off the phone with Club services. They said yes I would need a physical card and they would be happy to send one for $50 in 3-4 weeks time.
That's absolutely ridiculous..
There has long been a mention of fee to replace a lost card in the T&Cs. Suspect much of this to discourage get a duplicate card and letting others use it. It would be an easy abuse. Not sure how rigorous name checking is done in partner lounges in that use scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.