Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:43 pm

It's worth trying to enter the MLL with just your boarding pass, especially if it's a UA ticket. I wouldn't be surprised if AC could recognize your membership by scanning a UA barcode. I would be surprised if it were on an AC barcode. But I have no recent experience with either.

I would also try the electronic card if the boarding pass didn't work.

A lot of people use MLL memberships in the US and United Club memberships in Canada, so it would make sense if the system was set up to work. Let us know if you get in for future reference.

There's no way I'd pay $50 to access an AC MLL ... and that goes double for the YYZ transborder one.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Jan 13, 2020 at 5:07 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There has long been a mention of fee to replace a lost card in the T&Cs.
$5 would be reasonable. $50 is simply outrageous. The fact that "a fee" is mentioned in the T&C does not make it any less so.
Suspect much of this to discourage get a duplicate card and letting others use it. It would be an easy abuse. Not sure how rigorous name checking is done in partner lounges in that use scenario.
Given that by rule, the pax must present a BP with the same name as the card, this does not seem to be a legitimate concern.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
United Club Membership & Star Alliance Lounges

I tried to look for my answer on the forum but could not find it specifically- So apologize for the "newbie" question.

I've been a OneWorld Emerald and Sapphire member since I started flying in 2005. One of my favorite benefits are utilizing the lounges before, and during transits, and selecting an exit row w/o extra costs when I have to fly economy.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and it makes sense for me to switch to Star Alliance since I fly to Asia about 4 to 5 times a year, and the Star Alliance network offers some great fares to Asia from LAX or SFO. My OW options of Cathay and Japan Airlines do not offer great prices, specifically for Premium Economy. I really enjoy Singapore & EVA (Although I've only flown their biz class) and they are consistently $500 less for PE vs. my OW options. I also enjoy the Star Alliance Biz class lounge vs. the OW lounge at LAX TBIT.

Anway, as I think about switching, I will not have any elite status,and therefore cannot enjoy their lounges. I am looking to fly on EVA, and SIA, and credit my miles to Turkish, to earn my Gold Star Alliance, but it will take two completed trips for me to earn 30K with Turkish/SA Gold.

Here is where I am confused and need help: If I buy or get United Club Access via a credit card, can I access the Star Alliance Lounge at TBIT if i'm flying Premium Economy/Economy? Or can i just buy a day pass for my next two flights? WIll that give me Star Alliance Biz class access?

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Yes, you will have access to the *A lounge with United Club membership - just need to present membership card and *A boarding pass.
get0ffdanutzz likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You would be able to access the *A lounge if departing LAX on a *A flight.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:44 pm

The *A lounge finder tool is pretty good: https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder

Just put your airport and select United Club membership from the membership dropdown and you'll get a list of lounges you can access with your membership.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
Or can i just buy a day pass for my next two flights? WIll that give me Star Alliance Biz class access?
A day pass is only good for the actual United Club.

Unless you either (a) can get the United Club card with no annual fee for the first year, or (b) have some other use for a United Club membership, I'd probably find a different plan. For example, see if you can get a status match to your current OneWorld status.

Otherwise, you're looking at several hundred dollars per lounge visit, it sounds like. That's... not a great value.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:58 pm

jsloan I read a few days ago, that if I match my AA Status with United I will get "Premier Platinum", & the status match lasts 90 days (which is fine), but During the Status Match period of 90 days, you do not get any benefits which include lounge access. Does this sound correct?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:08 pm

jsloan I read a few days ago, that if I match my AA Status with United I will get "Premier Platinum", & the status match lasts 90 days (which is fine), but During the Status Match period of 90 days, you do not get any benefits which include lounge access. Does this sound correct?
It's correct.

Premier membership materials will be not issued for the 90-day Offer Period. You may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in. During the 90-day Offer Period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...020-terms.html
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While the terms of the status challenge state that, many have found in reality, they have access based on their *A departure BP.

Note, you should not do the status challenge unless you can meet the challenge terms as it is a once in 5 year challenge.
MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge {New 2020 terms}
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:24 pm

While the terms of the status challenge state that, many have found in reality, they have access based on their *A departure BP.

Note, you should not do the status challenge unless you can meet the challenge terms as it is a once in 5 year challenge.
MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge {New 2020 terms}

WineCountryUA Hmm- I would not think it would be possible to have it on my BoardingPass, since I will book with EVA or SIA, and input my TA FF # in. And, if i read that correctly, there would be no way to prove my Star Alliance Gold membership, I would be denied at entry at *A TBIT Lounge.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:26 pm

Here is where I am confused and need help: If I buy or get United Club Access via a credit card, can I access the Star Alliance Lounge at TBIT if i'm flying Premium Economy/Economy? Or can i just buy a day pass for my next two flights? WIll that give me Star Alliance Biz class access?

Thanks for any help.
also, do note that companion access is slightly different

With *gold, you get a +1.
With UC club membership, you get +2 or family(+1 adult & <21age children) into UC club, and +1 into non-UC club

Some airlines provide some lounge access for PE ticket. Eg, NH provides lounge access (+0 though) to their NRT/HND lounge for PE (no access to other lounges though like UC club)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:38 pm

and input my TA FF # in
Do you mean TK?

If you're not going to credit to UA, I'm not sure the status match suggestion is a great idea. Whether a UC membership would be worth the cost would depend on how often you plan to use it along with your personal value scale, but the cost seems awfully high to me just to enter the lounge a few times.

Amex is opening a TBIT lounge soon, you might look into the Platinum card.
jsloan and get0ffdanutzz like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're planning to use TK, then I would look into a status match to TK, not UA. Otherwise, you're going to run into issues, because you're right -- the only realistic way you'd be able to enter would be if you have *G on your boarding pass, and even that isn't guaranteed.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:04 pm

Kacee jsloan Good info, I also thought the price for UC was steep, for just a few visits, but I was going to justify it by getting the United CC that will offer 50K miles plus lounge access to Justify. Also- Great tip on the status match with TK- They are one of the few International Airlines that offer status Match- So that sounds like a really good option.

The only bad thing that I'm reading about TK- Seems like super difficult to find *A award availability- and since I fly to Asia the most, not sure if their award chart will make sense for me. They do fly to SE Asia via Turkey, but seems like their international biz product is not competitive?

Was also thinking about just crediting to SIA or EVA, both will require 50:miles: which would require 3 trips vs. 2, and take me a bit longer than a few months...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.