Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:46 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SimplySanrio
Confirmed .. I was not allowed in at ICN.

Just curious where does it show a flight from that airport? I see this:
  • You present a boarding pass in International First Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight
Star Alliance lounges are departure lounges, you need to qualify based the flight departing from the airport. Individual airlines may have more generous rules for their own customers (i.e. Customers arriving on United Polaris can access Polaris lounge and united club before their domestic connection).

In the lounge access link you quoted, it states: As an International Business Class Customer you have access to any Star Alliance member carrier’s owned Business Class lounge at the airport where your flight departs, your flight meaning a flight operated by Star Alliance airline, not any flight.
SPN Lifer, 168 and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

• You present a boarding pass in International First Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight
As noted, that misses the key language. Also, Polaris is not "International First Class," although that doesn't impact the analysis at all here.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

On the united site it states
Business class on a Star Alliance member airline
A same-day boarding pass for an international flight.

Access at departure airport
See the underlined statement, which is also there for the International First case you reference

The Star Alliance Lounge Access site is even more explicit

International Business Class Customers

As an International Business Class Customer you have access to any Star Alliance member carrier’s owned Business Class lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
  • You present a boarding pass in International Business Class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight
  • Your flight departs on the same day of your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning
  • The lounge shows the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance
You are not entitled to bring any guests.
Both are clear the access at the departure airport of a *A flight
SimplySanrio likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:40 pm

I'm curious why, even if you're a UA Club member and flying with United Polaris from the US to Zurich with Gold Status, you still can't access the First Class Lounge in Zurich or Frankfurt
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by vladrad
I'm curious why, even if you're a UA Club member and flying with United Polaris from the US to Zurich with Gold Status, you still can't access the First Class Lounge in Zurich or Frankfurt
Because you aren’t traveling in First Class
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Does guest have to be on the same flight?

Star Gold tried to gain access to SQ’s Star gold lunge in Sydney. My son’s guest was denied due to one is flying to SFO and the other to IAH on UA. I was under the impression that both of them just have to depart on any Star Alliance flights. Am I wrong?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by 168
Star Gold tried to gain access to SQ’s Star gold lunge in Sydney. My son’s guest was denied due to one is flying to SFO and the other to IAH on UA. I was under the impression that both of them just have to depart on any Star Alliance flights. Am I wrong?
Yes, must be on the same flight if using *G as reason for entry
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
Yes, must be on the same flight if using *G as reason for entry
Thanks! I guess the T&C has not been updated.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...its-chart.html

lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by 168
Thanks! I guess the T&C has not been updated.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...its-chart.html

not necessarily is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. always best to refer to the star alliance access policy when trying to use a star alliance benefit
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
not necessarily is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. always best to refer to the star alliance access policy when trying to use a star alliance benefit
Correct - if one is depending on a Star Alliance benefit, best to check w/ Star Alliance. Star Alliance website lounge guest policy is clear; "You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day. As of May 3, 2021, the guest must be traveling on the same flight."

United is almost 3 years derelict in updating their wording.
sobore and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Club Access,Star Alliance Gold
One guest is allowed if they’re traveling on the same flight

This changed about a year ago.
SPN Lifer, sobore, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:23 am

Getting ready for another trip to Singapore, and happened to take a look at their lounge access policy again. It looks like they've updated the rules (as of September 2023) and it seems to apply that United Club members now have access to KrisFlyer Gold at SIN. Definitely a welcome change, if I'm reading it correctly, for Silvers + non-elites with the membership

Footnote 10 on Star Alliance Gold now reads: Star Alliance Gold privilege applies to the Paid Lounge Membership United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...nge-Access.pdf
BladesInk likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:48 pm

Getting ready for another trip to Singapore, and happened to take a look at their lounge access policy again. It looks like they've updated the rules (as of September 2023)
Was touched upon on another thread but no one confirmed. I guess let us know when you try.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35921673-post38.html
Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Was touched upon on another thread but no one confirmed. I guess let us know when you try.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35921673-post38.html
I have long since graduated from my Premier Silver days, so someone else will have to be the guinea pig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.