Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i am going to buy my assistant a United Club membership will this allow access to LH lounges for example in DTW when traveling on UA domestic?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by mike_asia
i am going to buy my assistant a United Club membership will this allow access to LH lounges for example in DTW when traveling on UA domestic?
No. However, it does allow access to Star-Alliance branded lounges and other partner lounges:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...affiliate.aspx
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:44 pm

That doesn't sound right. I've used my UA Club membership at Air Canada lounges in both Canada and Europe, plus LH lounges in Europe and New Delhi, none of which appear on that list. I've never tried the LH lounge in DTW, only because it hasn't been open when I've traveled through there (6 am).
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, if flying United or other *A out of that airport.

From Lufthansa website:

"
Paid Lounge Membership Customers

Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges2.
Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include: United Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club - Worldwide
Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card which displays the Star Alliance Lounge Logo
Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
Customer is entitled to one guest

2 Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 22, 2015 at 1:04 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No. However, it does allow access to Star-Alliance branded lounges and other partner lounges:

????

Lufthansa is a partner. Why do you say "no"?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
????

Lufthansa is a partner. Why do you say "no"?
I was under the impression you needed to be *G to access when traveling on a domestic UA itinerary, is that incorrect?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
I was under the impression you needed to be *G to access when traveling on a domestic UA itinerary, is that incorrect?
Not correct. If you are a paid member of the United Club, you have access the any Star Alliance lounge anywhere when departing from that airport on any Star Alliance flight (domestic or international).

As a UC member, I've accessed the LH lounge at IAD numerous times. Most of the time I'm flying out on UA - and most of those departures are domestic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Annandaler
Not correct. If you are a paid member of the United Club, you have access the any Star Alliance lounge anywhere when departing from that airport on any Star Alliance flight (domestic or international).

As a UC member, I've accessed the LH lounge at IAD numerous times. Most of the time I'm flying out on UA - and most of those departures are domestic.
I think I realize my confusion. Isn't there a different rule that applies to the Senator side, or has that changed as well? Doesn't DTW have both?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I am a UC member and just showed my card at the LH lounge at DTW. They let me in to either side with out a problem.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:38 pm

OP, your assistant most certainly can use the LH Business lounge at DTW provided they have their Club card and a same day boarding pass on *A. I do so several times a year.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
So using the same logic, can I use my UC membership to access SQ lounge in SFO while connecting on UA flights?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Yes, specifically the business class sides if they are distinct from a SEN side.

Incorrect.

UA *G will get you into the SEN side, paid United Club member will get you into the business class side, as long as you're departing the airport on a *A flight.

Originally Posted by Annandaler

This is close, but not quite 100% correct. Being a paid member of the United Club will get you access to *business* lounges operated by Star Alliance members (and the *A lounges), but not necessarily to *G lounges. LH SEN is the *G lounge, LH Business is the slightly lesser quality business class lounge that paid UC gets access to.

I think I realize my confusion. Isn't there a different rule that applies to the Senator side, or has that changed as well? Doesn't DTW have both?
Exactly, there's a different rule that applies to the SEN side.

Originally Posted by tapeguy
I am a UC member and just showed my card at the LH lounge at DTW. They let me in to either side with out a problem.
Your profile lists you as a current UA Gold, which is also *G and hence having access to either side.

Originally Posted by BigJC
OP, your assistant most certainly can use the LH Business lounge at DTW provided they have their Club card and a same day boarding pass on *A. I do so several times a year.
99% correct - same day boarding pass on *A departing the airport the lounge is in.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by tashi
So using the same logic, can I use my UC membership to access SQ lounge in SFO while connecting on UA flights?
For a while, SQ had a *G sign up, but they took that down after a while of breaking the rules. I'm not sure they even publicly classify it as a business class lounge. At any rate, SQ just makes up its own rules with regards to their SFO lounge, whatever the rules might entitle you to.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
@tashi, Google is your friend. http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef.../lounge-finder

[Edited: @steaminer is right, I misread *G for UA Club. Ignore me. Yes, you can use the SQ lounge.]

Last edited by februaryfour; Mar 22, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:44 pm

United Club members can access on a domestic *A flight, *gold members via United cannot unless on an international flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.