Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by paperwastage
My flights are booked through the UA site as a Business Saver Award.

Yes, I had read the website...wasn't sure how a Saver Award translated.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The Signature Lounge is closed indefinitely - so it also depends on when you're traveling, aside from the ticket booking class that you have. I don't believe a UA award ticket will get you in regardless unless it has the same booking code as a full-mile flexible AC award.
Yes, I am aware the Lounge is currently closed...its prominently mentioned on the AC website. Not flying until July, and wasn't sure how a UA Business Saver Award would translate to AC.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:59 am

I did a little more digging. I am booked in an I fare, which is specifically excluded from access. Plat status doesn't matter. Guess I will be in the main lounge for my 4 hour layover in Toronto.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: United; JetBlue; American; Avianca; Delta; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ghurty
I am a united silver member but with paid lounge access. I am flying with a family of 5 (three minors). In MIA the lounge is a Turkish airlines one. What access would I have?

Thank you
i don’t know what you mean by paid lounge access. However, if you have a club membership that allows you to have one other adult admitted without paying an additional fee. That lounge is also a Priority Pass lounge and you maybe able to get the minors in using that route.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Have UC members had any recent visits to *A lounges where they were allowed to bring a guest traveling on a different *A flight than the UC member?

Since May 3, 2021, *A changed the rule for *G holders to require that the guest be on the same flight as the *G holder. Yet for paid lounge membership holders, it seems the pre-May 3, 2021 rule (i.e., where a guest only had to be traveling on any *A flight from the same airport on the same date, not necessarily the same flight as the paid lounge membership holder) is still in effect.

But given that the vast majority of *A lounge visitors worldwide with guests are likely to be *G rather than paid lounge membership holders, I wonder if many dragons are confusing the situation and trying to deny entry to guests traveling on a different *A flight than the paid membership lounge holder.

This is particularly relevant to me, as next week I was planning to do an LHR *A lounge tour with a guest who is not on the same flight as I am, and I am dreading the thought of having to argue with dragons, pull out the *A access rules, etc., at multiple lounges. Or maybe I'm just too cynical and this will be a non-event.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The *A-published rule for *G passenger admittance is clear for same flight requirement, but paid club membership has not been likewise amended. I would assume the UC requirement for ANY *A departing flight holds as that membership is your basis for entry. Or you could pay $70 for guest entry (which is a far better deal than UA's fee at UCs )

st530 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
*A has clearly told all carriers they must accept electronic cards for lounge membership and status. As part of this, UA modified the design of the electronic cards to clearly show the *G or *Lounge symbols. Reports are it is working well, with maybe a few issues at smaller, non-hub lounges where they very rarely see a UA Club member who is not *G.
Maybe so, but the UA web site still has the below language stating that UC members with status lower than gold must show physical card:

Digital United Club card on the United app

United Club members can scan their same-day boarding pass and use the United app while signed in to their MileagePlus account to access their membership. At partner lounges, including participating Star Alliance™-affiliated lounges, United Club members who are general MileagePlus members or MileagePlus Premier Silver members must present a valid physical membership card and any other required documentation. MileagePlus Premier Gold members and above only need a boarding pass.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:03 pm

Did a quick search, but could not find the answer. So, using the collective minds here.

Will be flying Turkish Airlines (Economy) to Asia with long layover in IST. Have UA Club membership. I know I can access the "Turkish Airlines Lounge Miles&Smiles", but I heard the "Turkish Airlines Lounge Business" is much better. So, do I have access to that lounge with my UA Club membership? Thank you!

alextktan
Old May 11, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by alextktan
Did a quick search, but could not find the answer. So, using the collective minds here.

Will be flying Turkish Airlines (Economy) to Asia with long layover in IST. Have UA Club membership. I know I can access the "Turkish Airlines Lounge Miles&Smiles", but I heard the "Turkish Airlines Lounge Business" is much better. So, do I have access to that lounge with my UA Club membership? Thank you!

alextktan
Don't know from experience, but the *A loungefinder indicated you can do both.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
Old May 11, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Don't know from experience, but the *A loungefinder indicated you can do both.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
That's what I found as well, but after some search online, I am not too sure. Anyone with experience care to comment? Thanks!

alextktan
Old May 12, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by alextktan

alextktan
Not sure where you heard the Business lounge is much better, but I've been to the Miles & smiles lounge as a gold flyer in economy and to the business lounge as a Business class flyer and they are identical to me. I suspect your club membership will allow you into the Miles & smiles lounge since the Business lounge is being treated as a purely business class lounge kind of like the UA Polaris Lounge, AC Signature Suite, SQ SilverKris lounge, and that Star golds and lounge memberships will be sent to the Gold equivalent lounge, in this case the miles & smiles lounge. But I can confidently say they are both the same in quality from the 2 times I visited
Old May 12, 2022, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Not sure where you heard the Business lounge is much better, but I've been to the Miles & smiles lounge as a gold flyer in economy and to the business lounge as a Business class flyer and they are identical to me. I suspect your club membership will allow you into the Miles & smiles lounge since the Business lounge is being treated as a purely business class lounge kind of like the UA Polaris Lounge, AC Signature Suite, SQ SilverKris lounge, and that Star golds and lounge memberships will be sent to the Gold equivalent lounge, in this case the miles & smiles lounge. But I can confidently say they are both the same in quality from the 2 times I visited
Thank you for this information. Really appreciate it.

alextktan
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
FYI If Heading To LAX Maple Leaf Lounge Via United Club Membership

My parents are at LAX waiting on their flight to Denver on United. They are doing their usual routine of checking in, heading to Star Alliance lounge, pickup the takeaway at the temp AMEX Lounge and working their way back to the United Club in terminal 7. They stopped off at the Maple Leaf Lounge in terminal 6 and was denied entry with their United Club Membership. The dragon scanned their United boarding pass and said they don't qualify for the lounge. My dad even presented his physical United Club Membership card and the dragon told him not needed. My parents just shrugged it off and headed to T7 to the United Club to wait for their flight.

It sounds like there is a dragon who does not know how the whole paid membership / Star Lounge works. For those of you who are planning on visiting the Maple Leaf Lounge via United Club Membership, might want to have the access rules printed or bookmarked on your phone.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by seat38a
It sounds like there is a dragon who does not know how the whole paid membership / Star Lounge works. For those of you who are planning on visiting the Maple Leaf Lounge via United Club Membership, might want to have the access rules printed or bookmarked on your phone.
The link is contained at the top of the wiki at the beginning of this thread.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
(Scroll down to "​​​​​​​Paid Lounge Membership Customers".)

As a spousal life member of United Club for over two decades (via the Presidents Club and previously the US Airways Club), this is a topic near and dear to my heart. 💙❤️ ✈️
seat38a likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold
1K Traveling in Biz thru NRT. how many guest (Eco Tix) can i take to Biz lounge

Greetings, I am a 1K pax and traveling on Biz ticket thru NRT. My parents are in Eco, Can I take them (2 Pax) into the ANA lounge in NRT as my guests? I also have a United Club Membership. Can you use the UC membership for entry into the ANA Lounge??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.