Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but does anyone know of the rules of using a UC membership with guests for the AC MLL lounge at LAX? I have an AC trip to YYZ early next year (assuming open borders ofc) and was wondering how this would work. I'll be traveling with 2 other no status people, I have UA gold so I know I can do with one guest but I'm going to get the club card soon anyways for the rest of my UA travels domestically and was wondering what the guest rules are with the club membership at these *A affiliated lounges? Thanks!
You can use you *G access or UC membership BUT not both
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day....
So max 1 guest either way

As the LAX UC is rather close (t7 vs AC ML is in T6), just go to the UC with 2 guests
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can use you *G access or UC membership BUT not both

So max 1 guest either way

As the LAX UC is rather close (t7 vs AC ML is in T6), just go to the UC with 2 guests
Alright that's fine. Yeah UA club in T7 was definitely on the menu since I go there a lot anyways before my tatl flights out of LAX and can take 2 people in (eventually) but we were also considering peaking into the AC lounge for a bit if we could, guess not. So in short, not accounting gold status for a second, the UA club membership standard rule is 1 guest to all the *A affiliated lounges then right? I wasn't too sure since this rule wasn't explicitly stated anywhere. Thanks as always!
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... So in short, not accounting gold status for a second, ...
You can enter as a *G or UC membership but not both. Note for LH lounges, best to use *G, as that gives you access to the LH Senator Lounge while the UC membership access is just LH Business Lounge access
... the UA club membership standard rule is 1 guest to all the *A affiliated lounges then right? ...
1 guest as explicitly stated in the *A lounge access policies
It is a *A lounge rule, not a UC membership rule.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:33 pm

You can enter as a *G or UC membership but not both. Note for LH lounges, best to use *G, as that gives you access to the LH Senator Lounge while the UC membership access is just LH Business Lounge access
Yep whenever at IAD or any of the German airports I always use the Senator lounge, I don't have a UC club membership yet so wasn't sure what the guest policy was on that for *A affiliated lounges. But I guess the takeaway is that I can't stack up my gold and UC membership to get +2 at the *A lounges. Good to know thanks!

1 guest as explicitly stated in the *A lounge access policies
It is a *A lounge rule, not a UC membership rule.
Sounds good, so the UC club membership is basically = to UA gold status when using a *A lounge.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:37 pm

... Sounds good, so the UC club membership is basically = to UA gold status when using a *A lounge.
Yes but *G may get you into the better *G lounge if there is a *G lounge and a separate Business lounge.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:24 pm

Yes but *G may get you into the better *G lounge if there is a *G lounge and a separate Business lounge.
Right, of course, with the exception of the Lufthansa Group Business vs Senator lounges, and potentially any other airlines that I'm missing that have a better gold lounge than the standard business class lounge. Funny how SQ lounges work the other way around.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:40 pm

Right, of course, with the exception of the Lufthansa Group Business vs Senator lounges, and potentially any other airlines that I'm missing that have a better gold lounge than the standard business class lounge. Funny how SQ lounges work the other way around.
Examples I’ve experienced where *G gets you a better club than UC membership: EWR/IAD LH Senator over LH Business/UC (IAD also TK over UA), DTW/FRA/MUC LH Senator over LH Business and last not least LAX *A over UC (though that’s the best US UC.)
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Examples I’ve experienced where *G gets you a better club than UC membership: EWR/IAD LH Senator over LH Business/UC (IAD also TK over UA), DTW/FRA/MUC LH Senator over LH Business and last not least LAX *A over UC (though that’s the best US UC.)
LAX *A is a godsend these past 5 years since I got gold for those overnight Asia flights out of TBIT. The senator lounge at IAD is also nice but I'm with you I far prefer TK's lounge to LH. Never been to DTW's LH lounge so can't say for that. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that the LAX UC is the best in the country and I'm not biased just because I live in LA.

Anyways back to topic, I knew where all I could go with my UA gold but wasn't sure what the guest policy was with the UC membership when I eventually get it, but now I do. Thanks WineCountryUA
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I just read that this card provide a UA Club membership rather than just UA Club access. I checked UA's website and it says that the membership provide access to UA Clubs and *A affiliated lounges when flying UA or *A. What does that mean exactly? All *A lounges worldwide? Is there a comprehensive list of participating lounges? Is it safe to say that having a UA Club membership is equivalent to *G lounge access?

If I were flying AC and crediting to Aeroplan (non-status), can I access AC Maple Leaf lounges in Canada and worldwide by displaying proof of UA Club membership? Not sure what the proof may be since I've never had UA Club membership before.

Thx!
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, HH Gold
No, a UA Club membership does not give you access to all *A lounges. The access policy is described here.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nocharge
No, a UA Club membership does not give you access to all *A lounges. The access policy is described here.
*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
That's all that I see on the website. So unless I'm mistaken, having UA Club membership will have the same lounge access privilege as a *G member?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's all that I see on the website. So unless I'm mistaken, having UA Club membership will have the same lounge access privilege as a *G member?
No, the paid membership section, which includes UA Club, says Business Class lounge access, not "gold." For instance, Lufthansa has Business Lounges and Senator Lounges. The latter are "gold." So it would seem like a Senator Lounge would not be accessible with a UA Club card.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the paid membership section, which includes UA Club, says Business Class lounge access, not "gold." For instance, Lufthansa has Business Lounges and Senator Lounges. The latter are "gold." So it would seem like a Senator Lounge would not be accessible with a UA Club card.
Do you have UA Club membership?

Using the same link that you posted above, I see the following:

As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 29, 2021 at 12:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:42 am

Do you have UA Club membership?
Yes, but I'm also *A "gold" for the rest of my life by virtue of 1MM.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:53 am

I just read that this card provide a UA Club membership rather than just UA Club access. I checked UA's website and it says that the membership provide access to UA Clubs and *A affiliated lounges when flying UA or *A. What does that mean exactly? All *A lounges worldwide? Is there a comprehensive list of participating lounges? Is it safe to say that having a UA Club membership is equivalent to *G lounge access? ....
Similar to *G access, the notable exception is LH lounges where *G have access to the Senator Lounge vs UC members have access to the Business Lounge. (otherwise most *A *G lounges are Business Lounges)

The family access for UCs do not apply to *A lounges
You need a qualifying departing flight (as you do for *G)

You need to have the physical UC membership card for access

If I were flying AC and crediting to Aeroplan (non-status), can I access AC Maple Leaf lounges in Canada and worldwide by displaying proof of UA Club membership? ...
Yes with the physical card and a qualifying *A departure flight

Your guest will need to also have a qualifying *A departure
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 17, 2020 at 10:00 am Reason: guest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.