Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Paid Lounge Membership Customers
As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
UC Members do not get access to the Star Alliance lounges located in Buenos Aires (EZE), Los Angeles (LAX), Nagoya (NGO), Paris (CDG), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Rome (FCO), Amsterdam (AMS) and Sao Paulo (GRU). (Appears access is now permitting -- since 2020??)

Family access is not valid for partner lounges

Physical members card is required for entry (appears UA is saying virtual, app card is sufficient for *A lounges)

Lounge Information - Star Alliance - Star Alliance
Search using
United Club for Paid Membership under the dropdown list, for airport specific lounges that gives you access.

What if I am also a *G?
You can enter a partner lounge as *G (Star Alliance Gold) or as a UC Member but not as both. You will be limited to +1 guest even if *G and also UC/ML membership, Benefits do not stack.
In the case of those partners with a *G lounge and a Business lounge (Such as LH), your *G status will get you into the better *G lounge while the UC membership provides access to just the Business Lounge.

List of partner related lounges accessible via the club card

USA Lounges with UA *G Access When Flying Domestic
Does United Club Membership Give Access to * Gold Lounges in the USA?

Print Wikipost

Non-UA / partner Lounge Access Rules for United Club members

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
United club membership only gets you into the business lounge. For senator lounge you need to be *G
At IAD, I've used my electronic United Club card for access to the LH Business Lounge on numerous occasions (along with a same-day *A boarding pass of course). Never had a problem.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
United Club Membership in Japan Domestic Terminals

I know my UC membership is 'supposed' to get me in to all ANA lounges, even in domestic terminals, but in my experience many smaller stations flat out claim the UC card isn't valid.

Does anybody have any experience using their UC membership to access the ANA lounges at domestic terminals across Japan? I'm planning to take a few 5K domestic flights around Japan and am specifically curious if I'll have any trouble at NGO and CTS.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I know my UC membership is 'supposed' to get me in to all ANA lounges, even in domestic terminals, but in my experience many smaller stations flat out claim the UC card isn't valid.

Does anybody have any experience using their UC membership to access the ANA lounges at domestic terminals across Japan? I'm planning to take a few 5K domestic flights around Japan and am specifically curious if I'll have any trouble at NGO and CTS.

Thanks!
I have no direct experience, but you should check out the Star Alliance Lounge finder here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/s.../lounge-finder

Print the page that represents the airport you're visiting. I selected a flight from NGO-HND..flying economy but with a paid United Club membership..and it said you should be able to access an ANA lounge. So don't take no for an answer! Bring evidence..

Also be sure you're bringing the real plastic UC membership card with you..not the Club Visa...the actual membership card.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I have no direct experience, but you should check out the Star Alliance Lounge finder here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/s.../lounge-finder

Print the page that represents the airport you're visiting. I selected a flight from NGO-HND..flying economy but with a paid United Club membership..and it said you should be able to access an ANA lounge. So don't take no for an answer! Bring evidence..

Also be sure you're bringing the real plastic UC membership card with you..not the Club Visa...the actual membership card.
+1 - good advice - and remember that a lot of these agents have probably never seen a united club card - have the rules with you and stand firm they will let you in. I ran into this st HND when I was flying J and an associate was in Y - she showed up and they wouldn't let her in until I pointed out the rules - that I was allowed a guest - and after a few worried looks behind the desk she was admitted....
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:43 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I know my UC membership is 'supposed' to get me in to all ANA lounges
I was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be good for non-UC locations except
for a certain few exceptions.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by violist
I was surprised to read that they could be used in Japan for non-UC locations. Took a brief look at the website and still could not find anything.

At any rate, OP is not missing much other than middling sake and self pour draft beer machines. Many of them only have sembei as snacks. Better than the terminal, but not by a huge margin.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by violist
My understanding is that the UC membership should be valid for any club displaying the Star Alliance logo - but not valid in any third party contract lounge that may be utilized by a Star Alliance airline.

So if the ANA domestic lounges have the Star Alliance logo, the OP should have been admitted if they had their membership card with them.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
My understanding is that the UC membership should be valid for any club displaying the Star Alliance logo - but not valid in any third party contract lounge that may be utilized by a Star Alliance airline.
This is not correct. Specific list: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ations/bf.aspx
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by robbeck1
This is not correct. Specific list: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ations/bf.aspx
That's a misunderstanding of the rules. The OP is right, they should have been admitted.

The United Club membership card bears the "Star Alliance Lounge" logo, which means it's valid at every Star Alliance lounge, with some exceptions (including First Class lounges, or lounges explicitly designated as Star Gold lounges such as LH and LX Senator Lounges, lounges that have capacity controls, third party lounges, etc.) when departing on a Star Alliance flight.

The only other membership card that provides the same level of access is the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge *Worldwide* membership card. (AC also sells cheaper memberships that don't include worldwide Star Alliance lounge access.)

The link above merely refers to third party lounges that United uses for their own flights. It has nothing to do with United Club membership - even though I wholeheartedly agree it's anything but clear.

ANA Domestic lounges (sometimes called Signet Lounge) are definitely available to United Club members.

Agent training is often a challenge. The United Club card has a barcode. It's worth asking the agent to scan it and see what happens. The computer should just say access granted. Printing out rules does also help, too. Unfortunately some agents don't like to be told what to do.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2016 at 12:51 am Reason: Lack of acknowledgement of relationship to external link
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pat+
That's a misunderstanding of the rules. The OP is right, they should have been admitted.

The United Club membership card bears the "Star Alliance Lounge" logo, which means it's valid at every Star Alliance lounge, with some exceptions (including First Class lounges, or lounges explicitly designated as Star Gold lounges such as LH and LX Senator Lounges, lounges that have capacity controls, third party lounges, etc.) when departing on a Star Alliance flight.

The only other membership card that provides the same level of access is the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge *Worldwide* membership card. (AC also sells cheaper memberships that don't include worldwide Star Alliance lounge access.)

The link above merely refers to third party lounges that United uses for their own flights. It has nothing to do with United Club membership - even though I wholeheartedly agree it's anything but clear.

ANA Domestic lounges (sometimes called Signet Lounge) are definitely available to United Club members.
Very helpful post.

Agent training is often a challenge. The United Club card has a barcode. It's worth asking the agent to scan it and see what happens. The computer should just say access granted. Printing out rules does also help, too. Unfortunately some agents don't like to be told what to do.
And arguing with a Japanese lounge agent is the functional equivalent of banging your head against the wall. At least they will be very polite in pretending to listen to you before repeating that it is "not possible."
trooper likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2016 at 12:53 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Updating my own thread... No problems at the lounge in HND, even though the star alliance website actually says there isn't a domestic lounge for UC users here.

Agents were friendly and very aware of what a paid membership is.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:14 am

I stand corrected.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Straight from the *A website lounge access and rules:

Paid Lounge Membership Customers

As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge2. Eligible paid memberships include United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide. You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport together with your valid eligible paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. 2 Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available.

My only point of curiosity is that if you are willing to pay for a UC membership, why wouldn't you fly enough to be *G?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:44 pm

Why buy it if not flying enough to be *G?

I fly under 30k a year but I also use other Club Card benefits. For example, just the 90 day post purchase price match benefit has yielded me over $500 so far this year. That is far more than I pay for the card.

Also, thanks for the information as I was getting tired of being rejected at the Kansai Lounge because I was not *G. We will see what happens this month.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by Mikerascan; Mar 14, 2016 at 4:38 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: One or two :)
Originally Posted by spearsba
My only point of curiosity is that if you are willing to pay for a UC membership, why wouldn't you fly enough to be *G?
There will be people with UC access who own either a MileagePlus Club or Presidential Plus credit card... including me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.