Displaying *G card on UA apps

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 20, 4:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
While a *G BP is the easiest way to get lounge access, sometimes that fails to be on the BP. So as a backup you might then need to produce a digital *G card with UA's app, with *A Gold symbol and/or bar code.

To get the bar code, tap on the card and it flips over.

For displaying the *A Gold emblem, the two major smartphone apps work differently

For IOS/Apple you need to move the card to the Apple Wallet.

For Android, the front of the card shows the *A Gold symbol but it is not very large.
Should work as is, but if need be, you can enlarge by enabling the triple tap magnifier or screen capture to Gallery and enlarge the picture.

From Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020], it appears *G BP or the digital card is sufficient for lounge access. The past issues requiring the physical card are "past history" unless one can not produce a *G BP or UA app digital card.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 20, 11:52 am
Original Poster

denied entry into LH lounge because UA Apple app didn't display front of gold card

I have been a UA Premier Gold for the last several years.

Last year, the digital card on the UA app showed the front of the card. I had no trouble getting into about a dozen non-UA Star Alliance lounges.

For some reason, this year's card doesn't show the front of the card in the app

As a result, I was denied entry into a Lufthansa lounge. The lounge attendant was actually very nice. She even called "someone" on the phone and spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out. However, whoever she was talking to on the phone said no. They were talking in German so I had no idea what exactly they said. However, it basically was about the app not showing the front of the card.

I ended up just sitting around the boarding gate area for 40 minutes because I just didn't have the energy to walk to the other lounge to try my luck.

Was there something with my United app? I tried it on my iPhone as well as Android tablet. Both just showed the back of the card....
Old Jan 2, 20, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Yup. Your case is not unusual and it has been discussed many times in FT.

I carry my physical card with me - this year alone, I've had to show them to LH and SQ.
Old Jan 2, 20, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

*A has changed its policy. It no longer requires a *G card so long so long as your BP carries the *G indicator. Thus, the sole question to OP is whether his BP had the "indicator." In the past, the rules permitted carriers to require a card and they did honor the e-card. LH has always be the stickiest of the sticky. But, presuming a *G indicator, the card is no longer required. As your status is with UA and that is what obtains your access, complain to UA that you were denied entry (presuming that you had a *A BP) and supply a copy of the BP. As others correctly note, toss your card in your brief case as it avoids issues with the likes of LH.

Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class of travel

As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
  1. You present your boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning.
  2. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
  3. The lounge displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

Old Jan 2, 20, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I don't think this is some trick I only know - my card from the app added to Apple Wallet clearly shows the front of the card, with Star Alliance Gold - and the barcode.
DutchessPDX, chemengin and gmt4 like this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 12:44 pm

flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1953295-recent-denials-admission-lounges-due-lack-ua-g-card-2019-a.html
Old Jan 2, 20, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I don't think this is some trick I only know - my card from the app added to Apple Wallet clearly shows the front of the card, with Star Alliance Gold - and the barcode.
I donít see a button to add my 1K card to Apple Walket

My Plat card from 2019 is in Apple wallet, so i know I have done this before. Where is it in the latest app? I tap the face then tap the 1K card and the back only displays. And no tap option to add to Apple Wallet

Help appreciated
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We still do not have an answer from OP as to whether his BP had the *G logo. Under the new rules, that is all that is needed.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post

My Plat card from 2019 is in Apple wallet, so i know I have done this before. Where is it in the latest app? I tap the face then tap the 1K card and the back only displays. And no tap option to add to Apple Wallet

Help appreciated
At least on the Apple iOS app - under your profile, if you click on your card (where it "just shows the back") - there is an icon at the bottom that allows you to add to the Apple Wallet. Which oddly enough, only shows you the front view =p
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
I have not been asked for physical card at LH, SAS, TG, BR or TK Lounges in 2019, only needed to scan my BP.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Very odd that it only shows one side of the card. Same on my Android.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Very odd that it only shows one side of the card. Same on my Android.
Front of the card shows the Star Alliance logo right?

Did United forget to renew their Star Alliance membership this year?
BeanTownBoy and Dreamlifter like this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Weird. Both my GS card and UC club are only showing the back on the app but problem solved when I add to Apple wallet.
perkele likes this.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by cdino72 View Post
Front of the card shows the Star Alliance logo right?

Did United forget to renew their Star Alliance membership this year?
Physical card fine, card on app no indicator at all. Has to be a bug/oversight, no-one would just do half a job like this deliberately.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Physical card fine, card on app no indicator at all. Has to be a bug/oversight, no-one would just do half a job like this deliberately.
At least for Apple - open the app. Click on your profile (upper right hand corner) - click on your card - you'll see an add to wallet. Once you open in the wallet - you get a clear shot of the front of the card with *G and barcode. I've got to think their is an equivalent for Android.

At least on Apple - in the United app, I see the front of the card with the *G logo, which is small. You can always screenshot that and make it bigger.
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Azul Diamante, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post

Help appreciated
The ďAdd To Apple WalletĒ button in the app is hidden if thereís a card in the wallet already.
Just remove your Platinum card from Apple Wallet and youíll be able to add your 1K card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: