Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please use/update this wiki with current problems/issues accessing or using United's website.

https://uptime.com/united.com

Previous posts - Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues[ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Oh Website seems a mess.. Warning banner up the top. Anyone else seeing this?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 12:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Wooglin likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Trying to book a flight, getting same banner error. Tried all browsers, Chrome, Edge, Safari.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I can check in via app, but trying SDC or anything that touches the website and it grinds to a halt.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by iapetus
Interesting. Which browser are you using?

After doing a little experimenting, I found:
  • Firefox (my default): no seat maps for nonstops
  • Safari: seat maps are available
  • Google Chrome: sad robot, I can't access united.com at all
Chrome. Still no issues for me.
SPN Lifer and Wooglin like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Fascinating to me that United still hasn't fixed the bug they introduced months ago where your outbound flight shows up at the top of the page but the arrival time is shown as the arrival time of your original flight at the connecting city instead of your final destination.

UA.com continues to have major issues with dates and remembering what you put in and/or just losing/dropping them and giving you red errors that you must select a date even though the field already has a valid one in it.

And one that's been annoying me lately as I search a lot of flights...entering a return date or a date as part of a multi-city always defaults to a date near today and never near where you just selected the outbound for. So if you select an outbound in September, the subsequent date selections will still show the April calendar. Come on United...doesn't take a genius to figure out that I can't have an onward/return flight months BEFORE my outbound. The calendar needs to default to showing the calendar around the date for the previously entered flight segment in the search.

-RM
wpcoe and goodeats21 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Is anyone have issues booking itineraries with partner flights? I get an error saying it "we are unable to process your request". When I contact UA, I'm told that the partner price is no longer available and they quote me a price that is 2-3X more.
I've tried several other times and always get the error when I have a partner flight. Are all the partner flight prices wrong on UA.com? Searching for the cheapest option meeting me needs is difficult since I have to contact UA everytime.I find something.

The other issue I've run into is that I want to book W or higher. Sometimes I they are able to get close to the flight I see online but one of the fares is below W. When I ask them to give me W or higher, suddenly it has to be all M fares and the price jumps. That also seems odd.

Ofcourse, I can book UA only flights then separately book my connections. However this is less than ideal incase I want to make changes to non-refundable flights. I don't mind a UA credit, but I do mind a credit on other airlines.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 12:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Is anyone have issues booking itineraries with partner flights? I get an error saying it "we are unable to process your request". When I contact UA, I'm told that the partner price is no longer available and they quote me a price that is 2-3X more. ...
Going to needed an more specific example (and any use of Advance Search).
I've tried several other times and always get the error when I have a partner flight. Are all the partner flight prices wrong on UA.com? ...
no, have recent booked UA/Partner cash tickets

The other issue I've run into is that I want to book W or higher. Sometimes I they are able to get close to the flight I see online but one of the fares is below W. When I ask them to give me W or higher, suddenly it has to be all M fares and the price jumps. That also seems odd. ...
That feature rarely works if a partner flight is included
Old May 1, 2023, 7:06 am
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
.bomb search fail: no flight options from JNB-LHR for money, only award search

@eng3 & WineCountryUA: Yes, I am also having new problems booking partner flights using money. Here is an example. I am Premier Platinum/Star Gold and am logged into my account on united.com. I'm trying to search for roundtrip tickets from JNB-LHR in May, and it does not have to be nonstop. Dates and class of service are flexible. If I check the box for "money" rather than "award" search, the only options that are coming up at all for any dates of travel are JNB-EWR-LHR. This is ridiculous. If I do it as an award search I get all kinds of other options, including via ADD, ZRH, FRA, etc. I have even made sure that I am searching among all carriers and not only limited to Star Alliance carriers (although would prefer Star Alliance due to status).
For example:

Results in:

We couldn't find an exact match

No flight is available on the date you've selected. Use our 30-day calendar or try these other options:
So when I click on the 30-day calendar option, I get:

On one or more tries, I did find an option to purchase a flight in business, but only on UA's routing JNB-EWR-LHR, nothing via ADD or LX or LH, for example.
Yet of course when one goes to SWISS or Lufthansa's sites, there are plenty of options for sale. Why are these options not searchable currently on UA?

Last edited by lmk; May 1, 2023 at 7:52 am Reason: to make clear that I am giving an example in response to posts #518 & 519
Old May 1, 2023, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lmk
I am Premier Platinum/Star Gold and am logged into my account on united.com. I'm trying to search for roundtrip tickets from JNB-LHR in May, and it does not have to be nonstop. Dates and class of service are flexible. If I check the box for "money" rather than "award" search, the only options that are coming up at all for any dates of travel are JNB-EWR-LHR. This is ridiculous. If I do it as an award search I get all kinds of other options, including via ADD, ZRH, FRA, etc. I have even made sure that I am searching among all carriers and not only limited to Star Alliance carriers (although would prefer Star Alliance due to status).
For example:

Results in:

We couldn't find an exact match

No flight is available on the date you've selected. Use our 30-day calendar or try these other options:
So when I click on the 30-day calendar option, I get:

On one or more tries, I did find an option to purchase a flight in business, but only on UA's routing JNB-EWR-LHR, nothing via ADD or LX or LH, for example.
Yet of course when one goes to SWISS or Lufthansa's sites, there are plenty of options for sale. Why are these options not searchable currently on UA?
It isn't a bug or failure of the website, it is by design by United. They are generally not interested in serving as a general booking tool for itineraries that don't include United flights, or use United currency (MileagePlus Miles).

You can try searching on Google flights or similar, and see if they offer the option to purchase on United.com, but I wouldn't count on it.

Added: You may also likely find that even if you can book it on United, it may be more expensive then other options. Always worthwhile to check before purchasing.

Last edited by goodeats21; May 1, 2023 at 7:28 am Reason: Added
Old May 1, 2023, 7:47 am
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Thanks, but then why does UA purport to allow you to search for All Star Alliance carriers and even other non-Star Alliance carriers?
And also, how am I supposed to search for partner flights that will allow me to use my UA-accrued Plantium Premier/Star Gold benefits? Or Plus Points for example?
If I search on Lufthansa or SWISS, there is no way to login with my UA account info.
UA's website used to allow you to search for and book partner flights, not that long ago. I've done so many times. When did this change?
Old May 1, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lmk
Thanks, but then why does UA purport to allow you to search for All Star Alliance carriers and even other non-Star Alliance carriers?
And also, how am I supposed to search for partner flights that will allow me to use my UA-accrued Plantium Premier/Star Gold benefits? Or Plus Points for example?
If I search on Lufthansa or SWISS, there is no way to login with my UA account info.
UA's website used to allow you to search for and book partner flights, not that long ago. I've done so many times. When did this change?
In my experience, UA.com has only allowed you to book partner flights for cash when they were either part of an itinerary containing a UA flight, a code share with UA, or part of a JV with united. Your benefits as a star gold are there regardless of where you book your star alliance flights and are spelled out in the mileageplus section of UA.com
Old May 1, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmk
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
In my experience, UA.com has only allowed you to book partner flights for cash when they were either part of an itinerary containing a UA flight, a code share with UA, or part of a JV with united. Your benefits as a star gold are there regardless of where you book your star alliance flights and are spelled out in the mileageplus section of UA.com
LifetimeGS matches with my experience. Also, Plus Points can only be used with flights operated by select airlines, I believe only JV partners ANA and LH. They are not general Star Alliance assets. There are threads specifically for info / questions on how to use Plus Points on these airlines.

And you cannot use United credentials to log into Lufthansa or Swiss Airlines websites. You will need to create accounts there (or check out as a "guest" if that option exists).
During the purchase process, you will have the option to add Frequent Flier account info, which is where you enter your MileagePlus number, to use the benefits of your Star Alliance status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lmk
It hasn't changed. You're just searching for flights that UA doesn't sell.
Old May 7, 2023, 12:57 pm

Is anyone having issue booking any flights on United.com after logging in? Tried both award and cash booking and shoes error. i logged out and in and it is the same issue.

is it a website issue now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.