Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
a cohesive, sophisticated, and premium brand image.
I'll take the pmUA "dragon" commercial or the "life" commercial over D. Barrett and J. Smisek's face any day of the week.

The pmUA ads actually make me excited to fly...and not just fly, but fly UA!

D. Barrett and J. Smisek? Not so much.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kale73
Check out the FAA's page on "United's" AOC# CALA014A

(I love it!)
So, even the FAA considers it to be COdbaUA!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandrei
I'll take the pmUA "dragon" commercial or the "life" commercial over D. Barrett and J. Smisek's face any day of the week.

The pmUA ads actually make me excited to fly...and not just fly, but fly UA!

D. Barrett and J. Smisek? Not so much.
I don't get the advertising thing. Yes, UA's commercials in previous years were more artful and memorable than their current advertising but I seriously doubt that this has influenced anyone in their purchase decision. I think that this is an issue on which Jeff and I agree.

Having wonderful commercials is not going to make me come back to UA. Reinstituting some Mileage Plus benefits, on the other hand, will probably do the trick.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Remaining Vestiges of CO

Yesterday, SFO-BOS, captain thanked the passengers for flying CO. He must not have read the memo.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jlemon
Originally Posted by colpuck
ExJet still has a contract with UA and it will stay that way until the merger with ASA is completed.
Yes, I know that; however, virtually all of the former Continental Express ERJs have now been rebadged as United Express.....

In fact, judging by my recent connections at IAH, I thought that all of the ExpressJet 135/145 aircraft had been changed over with new United Express titles.

This was the first time in quite awhile that I had actually seen an XJet ERJ 145 with the old COEx titles......
Might it have been one of the ERJ-135s they pulled from the desert to replace Colgan operated Sf340s? AFAIK those didn't get repainted after the merger since they were removed from the fleet.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by colpuck
Originally Posted by jlemon
An Embraer 145 with Continental Express titles last night at LFT.

The airplane still had "ExpressJet" on the sides of the engines as well.....
ExJet still has a contract with UA and it will stay that way until the merger with ASA is completed.
FWIW the merger is complete. After the Surejet debacle, Skywest decided to name the merged company Expressjet. All ex-ASA operations are now on the XJT AOC. The ASA operating certificate is inactive.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I was in CLE last week and saw numerous RJs still branded as Continental Express. 4 or 5 of them. Looked like E145s... I was a bit surprised to see so many of them.

At least a couple seemed to be Chautauqua Airlines, which was a new carrier for me. (I do not route through CLE much).
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by oopsz
Might it have been one of the ERJ-135s they pulled from the desert to replace Colgan operated Sf340s? AFAIK those didn't get repainted after the merger since they were removed from the fleet.
Nope. Definitely an ERJ 145 with the longer fuselage......
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:36 am

If a Continental flight attendant decided to leave and go to work at Delta or American, do they still accidentally say Continental sometimes?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Yesterday, SFO-BOS, captain thanked the passengers for flying CO. He must not have read the memo.
Or he must not have been the pilot talking to ATC who would've said "United" dozens of times through the journey.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Or he must not have been the pilot talking to ATC who would've said "United" dozens of times through the journey.
I believe it was a pointed statement. It was an announcement from an officer in the cockpit.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Anyone notice that the background music in the updated safety video is the same music that CO used in their safety videos? I used to be Rhapsody in Blue until about a month ago when they made the update..
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I don't get the advertising thing. Yes, UA's commercials in previous years were more artful and memorable than their current advertising but I seriously doubt that this has influenced anyone in their purchase decision. I think that this is an issue on which Jeff and I agree.

Having wonderful commercials is not going to make me come back to UA. Reinstituting some Mileage Plus benefits, on the other hand, will probably do the trick.
Branding is a critical communication tool. UAUA was focused on premium-RASM customers, and to that end they were successful. Yes this company hasn:'t had a lot to offer during the last year, but as they come out of the trough they are going to have to shift from their CO-era mantra of simply touting awards in a snarky demeanor (many of which they paid for outright).

UAUA was a downsized variant of a company that was the largest airline in the world not long ago, and still had the most vaunted hub structure in the industry - they learned a few things being that size that the insular CO executives never had the chance to figure out, one being the the dividends TV advertising pays. As much as 9/11 & ch.11 threw a wrench into those efforts, they focused far more on brand building than CO, who never, ever catered to the type of business/govt. traffic UAUA did.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
From the TAP website:

Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Hangers at EWR and CLE. You could always throw a big tarp over them .
One would think those would be the first to 'go',since they are so large and seen from the terminal . I too saw a wheelchair @ FLL with 'Continental' spraypainted on the back of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.