Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Speaking of CO tires, this comes to mind:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Continental_Airlines_Flight_603

Continental Airlines Flight 603 was a scheduled flight between Los Angeles International Airport and Honolulu International Airport. On March 1, 1978 the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 operating the flight crashed during take-off, resulting in the deaths of four people.

The aircraft began its take-off from Los Angeles International Airport at approximately 9:25am. As the DC-10 travelled along the runway, one of the tires blew which caused the left main landing gear to collapse. After the landing gear collapsed, a fuel fire erupted from the wing area. The airplane slid to a stop approximately 664 feet beyond the departure end of the runway. During the subsequent evacuation, a husband and wife were killed when they exited the aircraft over the wing and dropped down into flames. The left side of the airplane was destroyed. Of the 184 passengers, two infants, and 14 crewmembers on board, two passengers were killed and 28 passengers and three crewmembers were seriously injured during the evacuation of the airplane. Two additional passengers died of their injuries approximately three months after the accident.
I saw this AC and is was truly sad, as no one had to die. And I also knew a lawyer on this case that defended CO and the tire maker. This was back when CO was based at LAX and not taken over by Lorenzo and crew and moved to Texas. That was the "real" CO!

Recent news: If you want to see CO uniforms, swing by Starbucks, Burger King, etc in many airports and some employees are still wearing CO uniforms (not front line).

Every two weeks a check is printed that is paid by: United Continental Holdings Inc., but some (I guess) like to live in the past.

I have not seen one employee at DL wearing a NW uniform for 3-4+ years.

It is great to have "pride" in the past, but it is time to move together and make one GREAT carrier. Management at UA currently sucks.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Remaining Vestiges of CO

Smisek and his henchmen
Old May 22, 2014, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
Every two weeks a check is printed that is paid by: United Continental Holdings Inc., but some (I guess) like to live in the past.
There is part of the problem right there. The airline is United, but for whatever reason they decided to throw Continental into the name? How can you be upset with employees wearing stuff that says Continental, when their paychecks are being cut by united CONTINENTAL holdings?

It honestly would've just been better if they had kept the Continental name on the side of the plane too, so there would truly be no confusion. Because literally everything else about this new airline is rooted in CO anyway. The only thing United about it is the name. And even that only sort of.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:55 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by kenhawk
How about that boring, clip art style logo on all of the tails?
Still better than new AA livery... that I do not like...
Old May 22, 2014, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TPJ
Still better than new AA livery... that I do not like...
Will agree to disagree on that one
Old May 22, 2014, 6:59 am

FLL

There is a continental snack cart in FLL near the United gates used to feed passengers animal crackers and water when flights are delayed.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
But if you look closely, you'll see pmNW F/As wearing their union pins -- to the great fury of management.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by stevneil
There is a continental snack cart in FLL near the United gates used to feed passengers animal crackers and water when flights are delayed.
Hehe in March I saw Continental Podiums by several gates but it's houston of course
Old May 23, 2014, 4:01 pm

Next flight on a sCO planes, any 2 class 762 or the new sUA 739, try to go to the galley and take a look around, you will see Continental all over.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jetaway96
Next flight on a sCO planes, any 2 class 762 or the new sUA 739, try to go to the galley and take a look around, you will see Continental all over.
Don't forget the PS 752s those have Continental galleys as well.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Speaking of CO tires, this comes to mind:

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Continental_Airlines_Flight_603

I saw this AC and is was truly sad, as no one had to die. And I also knew a lawyer on this case that defended CO and the tire maker. This was back when CO was based at LAX and not taken over by Lorenzo and crew and moved to Texas. That was the "real" CO!

Recent news: If you want to see CO uniforms, swing by Starbucks, Burger King, etc in many airports and some employees are still wearing CO uniforms (not front line).

It is great to have "pride" in the past, but it is time to move together and make one GREAT carrier. Management at UA currently sucks.
What is it with CO and tires? Didn't the French try to pin the Concorde crash on CO tire treading?
Old May 23, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Don't forget the PS 752s those have Continental galleys as well.
. That's right
Old May 23, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
What is it with CO and tires? Didn't the French try to pin the Concorde crash on CO tire treading?
It wasn't the tires tread. It was a piece of the engine rim I believe.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jetaway96
It wasn't the tires tread. It was a piece of the engine rim I believe.
It was a metal strip that fell off of continentals DC 10 that just took off before concorde

Tried blaming CO for making crap tires @ ATR
Old May 23, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Tried blaming CO for making crap tires @ ATR
Wrong Continental... That is the German tire company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.