Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i was checking my phone bill, and i am signed up for the flight alert text messages from UA. looking at my bill though, it made me chuckle as i saw this on my text message history:

05/19/2014, 07:24 PM 26266 continental Airlines 26266 Incoming Text
Old May 24, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Jeff smisek
Old May 24, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I have seen some food containers in the galley that still have CONTINENTAL written in all caps, i.e. before the branding change to Continental. Maybe it was an ambien-induced fantasy of bringing back something from Saul Bass, but I'm pretty sure
Old May 24, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Talking

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Jeff smisek

Good one.

LOL
Old May 24, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
The flight crew today said "Continental flight xxxx" a few times.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
The flight crew today said "Continental flight xxxx" a few times.
This 4 years after the merger is still going on. They should have rules in place: do it once, you are warned and written up , do it twice written up and take a two week unpaid vacation, third time hit the road. I hear SkyWest is hiring.

The current UA is a complete mess. The employees know it, the customers sure know it, wall street knows it. The only group that is clueless is a bunch of cowboys from the lonestar state running this carrier into the ground.

I would have written sooner, but no wi-fi on my flt.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Nice post. So I guess the people in CLE won't miss this mess.
I was in the UA club yesterday talking with the agents and I could tell they were sad about the hub closure next week and all the employee cutbacks.
Did not have much time as I had to treck over to B concourse to catch my flight on WN.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by kettle1
This 4 years after the merger is still going on. They should have rules in place: do it once, you are warned and written up , do it twice written up and take a two week unpaid vacation, third time hit the road.
I'm sure the union will love you.

Originally Posted by kettle1
I would have written sooner, but no wi-fi on my flt.
My friend Jeff told me wifi is coming any day now.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Silver
Saw this on back to back ERJ-145 flights. One from IAH-MFE, other MFE-IAH. Saw it the first time and didn't bother with a pic, saw is again and figured why not.

This is of the cockpit door, when you are boarding you'd never notice, only when closed..

Can't figure out to embed the pic - https://www.flickr.com/photos/83113050@N00/14311593353/

Old May 28, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Remaining Vestiges of CO

Those people who are still upset this airline is not called Continental Airlines are ridiculous. United Airlines offered Continental Airlines one Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection that Continental Airlines had already exhausted (their own, that is). The pmUA chapter 11 protection they brought is still in tact. The current executive management team is comprised of all pmCO management, except for one VP.

That said, does it matter now about remaining vestiges of Continental? No! Does it matter about remaining vestiges of United Airlines (pmUA)? No! What we have today is an airline in such a mess. Jeff Smisek in his incompetency has hurt this airline so badly that I would not be surprised that the new "UAL" enters in chapter 11 protection exhausting the safety net UAL brought to the table. Smisek, a remaining vestige of Continental Airlines, must go. Bozo the Clown would make a better CEO, IMHO!

Now enough of this vestige of Continental stuff and accept that one of pmCO's very own has placed this airline in a perilous situation. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Another vestige...

Saw this from the plane window a few weeks ago, I think it was at SFO.

Last edited by theise; May 28, 2014 at 11:27 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
I have flown a few pmCO 752s lately and noticed the Continental name and/or logo on a few galley carts, flashlights, wheelchairs, etc. Ditto with some galley equipment on an EV 145 a few months ago. It interests me to see little splashes of an airline that's now in history, but while I suppose I can understand why crew equipment that's probably ignored by most people has not been replaced, I am surprised that very customer-facing equipment still has Continental branding on it (or tulip branding, but that's another story).
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
DEN-SFO, Sunday night, pilot said, "thanks for flying continental, err, I mean united". You could tell it was on purpose, I also feel I have been hearing continental more from pilots lately. This really needs to stop
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:46 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Do the PMCO 777s still have Gordon Bethune's picture on them on a plaque in the Biz cabin? I found this to be a positive to learn about his tenure at CO, where he made the company into a very good operation.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Do the PMCO 777s still have Gordon Bethune's picture on them on a plaque in the Biz cabin? I found this to be a positive to learn about his tenure at CO, where he made the company into a very good operation.
Gordon was only one ne of the 777 aircraft. A few of them had pictures/plaques. Robert Six and Larry Kellner were also so honoured.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.