Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remaining Vestiges of Continental After the Merger With United

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I am a FF who loved pmCO and who had no disdain pmUA. But, I must say all the UA-is-ruined-by-CO virtriol is quite frustrating. I don't mind either sUA or sCO crews, but I'm frustrated as all by certain pmUA loyalists on FlyerTalk and their one-track complaining.

No true CO loyalists believe that SMI/J was a Continental person; it doesn't matter he was employed there. He was brought in to destroy the airline in favor of business gains, he did so by merging with UA in the process he brought UA down too.

I'm sick and tired of being told things like "Continental [has been] forc[ed] down everyone's throat." There are plenty of policies from UA that have survived, policies which, IMO, are inferior to jettisoned pmCO policies. But, that's the point: SMI/J has tossed out good parts from both and retained bad parts from each. And he has brought in some new bad bits which never existed in either.

What's really wrong has nothing to do with the dismissal of the Tulip logo, the ending of non-expiring miles, increases in award prices, changes in upgrade policies, the ending of domestic coach food (which wouldn't, IMO, have happened without Jeff and his mis-imagined and mis-managed merger), or even his awful mug being shown to frustrated travelers. What's really wrong is that Jeff never had a vision of an airline which was anything more than a mere business which happens to fly. He invests in aircraft but not in people, either employees or customers.

But of all that is wrong, what really makes me cringe is not IRROPS, MP changes, increasing fares, hub closing, discontinued services or a disheartened group of employees. What makes me cringe is when I sit next to a pmUA loyalist whose slamming of everything Continental is so intense it makes me feel not welcome as a fellow passenger. This is something I've never been made to feel by any sUA employee.

Can't we stop all this hate? Either fly the new United - an airline not as good as either pmUA or pmCO - or jump ship. But please stop whining. AA/US, AS, B6, DL, VX, & WN/FL would be happy to sell tickets to anyone who hates Jeff and the business he has created.
Well I have switched to Delta. I comment and read here because the reading is rather insightful.

So none of the things that were inferior to CO affect you, but a PMUA employee slamming CO is (which, BTW is well documented the other way around especially with Jeff slamming sUA work rules) does? Your solution is just suck it up? With that mindset, you might as well WORK for United at this point.

Trust me, I grew up in NJ and I saw how the other half lives (CO) well before the merger. When s*** hit the fan, it really hit the fan. The IRROPS stories on these forums don't lie.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
I am a FF who loved pmCO and who had no disdain for pmUA. But, I must say all the UA-is-ruined-by-CO virtriol is quite frustrating. I don't mind either sUA or sCO crews, but I'm frustrated as all by certain pmUA loyalists on FlyerTalk and their one-track complaining.

No true CO loyalists believe that SMI/J was a Continental person; it doesn't matter he was employed there. He was brought in to destroy the airline in favor of business gains, he did so by merging with UA in the process he brought UA down too.

I'm sick and tired of being told things like "Continental [has been] forc[ed] down everyone's throat." There are plenty of policies from UA that have survived, policies which, IMO, are inferior to jettisoned pmCO policies. But, that's the point: SMI/J has tossed out good parts from both and retained bad parts from each. And he has brought in some new bad bits which never existed in either.

What's really wrong has nothing to do with the dismissal of the Tulip logo, the ending of non-expiring miles, increases in award prices, changes in upgrade policies, the ending of domestic coach food (which wouldn't, IMO, have happened without Jeff and his mis-imagined and mis-managed merger), or even his awful mug being shown to frustrated travelers. What's really wrong is that Jeff never had a vision of an airline which was anything more than a mere business which happens to fly. He invests in aircraft but not in people, either employees or customers.

But of all that is wrong, what really makes me cringe is not IRROPS, MP changes, increasing fares, hub closing, discontinued services or a disheartened group of employees. What makes me cringe is when I sit next to a pmUA loyalist whose slamming of everything Continental is so intense it makes me feel not welcome as a fellow passenger. This is something I've never been made to feel by any sUA employee.

Can't we stop all this hate? Either fly the new United - an airline not as good as either pmUA or pmCO - or jump ship. But please stop whining. AA/US, AS, B6, DL, VX, & WN/FL would be happy to sell tickets to anyone who hates Jeff and the business he has created.
^^ Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It is the same group of people that won't let it go. It is maddening.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
I am a FF who loved pmCO and who had no disdain pmUA. But, I must say all the UA-is-ruined-by-CO virtriol is quite frustrating. I don't mind either sUA or sCO crews, but I'm frustrated as all by certain pmUA loyalists on FlyerTalk and their one-track complaining.

I'm sick and tired of being told things like "Continental [has been shoved] down everyone's throat." There are plenty of policies from UA that have survived, policies which, IMO, are inferior to jettisoned pmCO policies. But, that's the point: SMI/J has tossed out good parts from both and retained bad parts. And he has brought in some new bad bits which never existed in either.

What's wrong has nothing to do with the dismissal of the Tulip logo, the ending of non-expiring miles, increases in award prices, changes in upgrade policies, the ending of domestic coach food (which wouldn't not, IMO, have happened without Jeff and his mus-imagined and mis-managed merger), or even his awful mug being shown to frustrated travelers. What's really wrong is that Jeff never had a vision of an airline which was anything more than a mere business which happens to fly. He invests in aircraft but not in people, either employees or customers.

But of all that is wrong, what really makes me cringe is not IRROPS, MP changes, increasing fares, hub closing, discontinued services or a disheartened group of employees. What makes me cringe is when I sit next to a pmUA loyalist who slamming of everything Continental is so intense it makes me feel not welcome as a fellow passenger.

Can't we stop all this hate? Either fly the new United - an airline not as good as either pmUA or pmCO - or jump ship. AA/US, AS, B6, DL, VX, & WN/FL would be happy to sell tickets to anyone who hates Jeff and the business he has created.
^ +1 Could not agree more.

SMI/J was in the process of bringing pmCO down before the merger, and continued the process with the merged UA. And, pmUA/pmCO divide is apparently actively encouraged by current management - divide et impera! - and that may end up being their most pernicious and long-lasting legacy... still surprised it works.

The failures of 2014 UA have little to do with pmCO or pmUA, and everything to do with a management team in over its head.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I am a FF who loved pmCO and who had no disdain for pmUA. But, I must say all the UA-is-ruined-by-CO virtriol is quite frustrating. I don't mind either sUA or sCO crews, but I'm frustrated as all by certain pmUA loyalists on FlyerTalk and their one-track complaining.

All this is fine and good but there is one policy that I have just noticed that really has my goat. When you check your "United" frequent flyer number what does it start with? Just take a look at that and reply. I'll tell you what mine starts with then to possibly prove my point.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
All this is fine and good but there is one policy that I have just noticed that really has my goat. When you check your "United" frequent flyer number what does it start with? Just take a look at that and reply. I'll tell you what mine starts with then to possibly prove my point.
In the spirit of cooperation , mine (fairly old, pmCO) starts with AE, while my wife's (very recent, UA) starts with PV. Do not blame the messenger!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
In the spirit of cooperation , mine (fairly old, pmCO) starts with AE, while my wife's (very recent, UA) starts with PV. Do not blame the messenger!
LOL, of course not!

My point is look at a receipt or more specifically itinerary. How does your Onepass/Mileage Plus number show up exactly? Does your ff number start as AE or is there anything in front of that? Maybe this is nothing or this one item may reveal precisely what Smisek and his team are trying to do. By the way, my pmCO Onepass number starts with GL, which is circa July 1989. However ........

Last edited by RobotDoctor; Jul 1, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:33 pm

LOL, of course not!

My point is look at a receipt or more specifically itinerary. How does your Onepass/Mileage Plus number show up exactly? Does your ff number start as AE or is there anything in front of that? Maybe this is nothing or this one item may reveal precisely what Smisek and his team are trying to do. By the way, my pmCO Onepass number starts with GL, which is circa July 1989. However ........
On the receipt and the itinerary, I have UA-AE, then two digits of the actual number, then XXXX. (Boarding pass shows UA-******, then last three digits of the number - great combo security-wise. )

Do you see something different?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
On the receipt and the itinerary, I have UA-AE, then two digits of the actual number, then XXXX. (Boarding pass shows UA-******, then last three digits of the number - great combo security-wise. )

Do you see something different?
No, that is what I'm seeing. Mine is UA - GLxxxxxx. I have heard a rumor that is used to distinguish pmUA Mileage Plus members. It appears that may not be the case. As I stated, my ff # is my original Onepass number from 1989.

Thanks for the clarification!!!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
LOL, of course not!

Mine actually starts with DG, pmCO
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Mine actually starts with DG, pmCO
Check the number on a printed itinerary. My number is pmCO but had the UA-(pmCO) designation.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The UA just shows what program it is...
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Check the number on a printed itinerary. My number is pmCO but had the UA-(pmCO) designation.
i think the UA is there in that case simply to note that you're crediting your miles for that reservation to UA (and not to another *A carrier). my FF number was pmCO and i have UA-JHXXXXX on my itineraries.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others

You make some very good points, though to anyone who was not involved with pre-merger CO Jeff Smisek is Continental, along with the bulk of the management team.

To me -- connected with UA since 1966 but now loyal to no one but myself -- the most visible issues do happen to be pmCO-generated. Having worked in IT at United, I knew from the start that going with SHARES would be a monumental blunder. I realize that Jeff was well on his way to undoing everything Gordon Bethune had accomplished, and as a result he makes a big, fat target for everything. True, some former UA policies should have been discarded, as well, but from an outsider's view the biggest mistakes have been in favor of former CO.

I haven't flown this airline now for 2 or 3 years, but I did find it interesting (euphemism for "appalling") that over 18 months into the merger they were still using Continental Airlines napkins and beverage cups. That was certainly no way to build a new brand, simply a way to avoid the cost of disposing of everything (by then every branded service item, at least, should have been replaced -- I can understand airplanes not yet being repainted and other large items).

I go along with your plea to end the hate and sniping -- the new airline is what it is, and it's not going to go back to what either of them was before (if I had my way, it would still be like the 60s and 70s when United and Continental were both being run by actual airline people -- a rant for another time). And that goes for both the FT members and the employees!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I think we all agree on one thing....Jeff's gotta go.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton
i think the UA is there in that case simply to note that you're crediting your miles for that reservation to UA (and not to another *A carrier). my FF number was pmCO and i have UA-JHXXXXX on my itineraries.
Yes, exactly. The UA is not part of the FF number, it is the airline by which the FF number is issued. If one flies US and credits the miles to US, then SHARES prints US- followed by the US FF number; likewise, if one were to fly US and credit the miles to AA, then shares would print AA- followed by the AA FF number.

All this to do about FF numbers.

Shall we not go back to celebrating/remembering the remaining vestiges of CO? Legacies are important; we shouldn't put them down.

I just saw - and I won't say at which airport for fear it might be eliminated - an old chair with a "Property of Trans World Airlines" on it. It made me smile similarly to seeing the ever decreasing number of Continental signs. If only I could spot something which still said "Capital" on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.