Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Newest Travel Bank program
New UA "Travel Bank" option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

{UA} we’ve decided to discontinue the program as of April 23, 2019.
In particular, the united.com Club
united.com Club

As we keep evolving the digital experience for our travelers, we’ve decided to discontinue the united.com Club. If you’re a current member, there are a few things we hope you keep in mind.

Although you’ll no longer be able to renew your membership, you’ll continue to receive the benefits of the united.com Club until your current membership period expires. If you booked any trips before the end of your current membership, we’ll credit any united.com Club benefits to your TravelBank after you’ve completed your trip.

For more questions about the program, call us at 1-800-UNITED-1.

Check your TravelBank balance

See full united.com Club terms and conditions
For those wondering when their united,com membership expires

Go to your account details and where you see
Travel Bank
$xx.xx
Exp. mm/dd/yyyy followed by a "?" in a circle

The visible Expiration is the Balance expiration date

Click on the "?" in a circle and you get a pop-up that includes a different date
"The united.com Club Membership
Exp: MM/DD/YYYY"

Recent activity, including subscription renewals, can be found in the same location by "View details"

United.com club

T&Cs

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

Key limitation -- only for UA/UX operated flights. Tickets with partner flights are not eligible for the use of Travel Bank funds.

Customer Support / missing credits contact: [email protected]
Also [email protected] which is web support.
Direct dial to web/.com support: (800) 396-1751
Note -- you will never get an email response but the credit, if deemed valid, should show-up in a week.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
In your email, include:
  • MP account number and name
  • Traveler(s) name, number of traveler if applicable
  • Member's united.com Club enrollment date; since XX/XX/XXXX valid through XX/XX/XXXX
  • Reservation confirmation number (PNR locator)
  • Flight number, origin/destination, and travel date
5 April 2018 -- UA started posting an "expiration date", appears to be at least 18 months after most recent activity (some are longer for unknown reasons)
also states
Some of your United®TravelBank Cash may expire on a different date than what’s displayed here. Please check your balance details for a complete history of your United®TravelBank Cash transactions and the expiration date for each amount.
Expiration had previously been in the T&Cs for some time (2 years of inactivity? but now is 18 months) and had stated an ETC would be issued if the funds did timeout. Unclear if that still applies.

The Gift Registry has been disabled since Fall 2017 (Sept?) (appears this may be related to a tax issue?)
As of 5 May 2018, it still states
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.
Around Sept 2018, wording changed to
We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.
To add funds: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Print Wikipost

"TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Just an update. Checked my travel bank balance today, and they had credited me for the missing 2 tickets. So all is well.

Thanks for the help.
You are welcome. Glad you did not have to send in a 2nd email request.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Dumb question... how do I use the funds? I have some money in there, and it shows the money in my gift registry, but when I get to the payment page, the travelbank doesn't show up!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Dumhttps://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ravelbank.aspxb question... how do I use the funds? I have some money in there, and it shows the money in my gift registry, but when I get to the payment page, the travelbank doesn't show up!
It will be among the "United payment types" if you meet the T&Cs, such as
Only valid for air travel purchases on United- and United Express®-operated flights, including ticket, taxes and surcharges.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Dumb question... how do I use the funds? I have some money in there, and it shows the money in my gift registry, but when I get to the payment page, the travelbank doesn't show up!
They've also hidden it better on the new site.

The old site, the options for gift card, etc. used to show up and be quite easy to see. On the new site, typically it is just the line 'united payment types' with an arrow next to it, and the specific options hidden. you need to click on the arrow, which will reveal the options.

Also, if you can not use it (like because of a partner segment), it will say something similar to "Because of your flight selections, United Payment Types are not available for this itinerary"
Old May 3, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just for clarification, the $5 is based on PNR not number of legs right?
A one-way flight or a RT flight will both yield $5.
However two one-way flights on separate PNRs will yield $10.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Just for clarification, the $5 is based on PNR not number of legs right?
A one-way flight or a RT flight will both yield $5.
However two one-way flights on separate PNRs will yield $10.
its actually based on ticket - not PNR. If it was PNR, multiple person PNRs would only get one credit.

But that is correct, two one-ways will yield $10 total, while a round trip will just get $5. Do note the potential downsides of booking one ways - primarily that if you need to make a change to both 'outbound' and 'return', you'll need to pay a the change fee twice. Also, IME, if you get travel insurance, some may only cover round trip travel and a one-way won't qualify.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:29 pm

I'm trying to use Travel Bank registry to pay for me & my family's flight. However, when I go to checkout, it states that United Payment cannot be selected. Is it because I have other people on the itinerary? I read their FAQs for the registry and got a little confused. Can I only use it for my own person itinerary?
Old May 4, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TJMAC
I'm trying to use Travel Bank registry to pay for me & my family's flight. However, when I go to checkout, it states that United Payment cannot be selected. Is it because I have other people on the itinerary? I read their FAQs for the registry and got a little confused. Can I only use it for my own person itinerary?
Any non-UA operated flights?
Old May 4, 2017, 7:24 pm

It's just a regular UA flight ORD-CLE

I tried booking my own ticket and it still wouldn't allow it. I'm on hold with United as I type this....

*Update
I was transferred to tech support and they were able to book my flight using my travel bank. However, they said I wasn't able to use my travel bank to upgrade to E+ and I was required to use a credit card for the upgrade.

Last edited by TJMAC; May 4, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 1:11 am

Trying to Buy United Business Class- FRA-SFO-Can't use Travel Bank

This is a United operated flight- roughly 70K miles + 150 in fees.
Why can't I use travel bank for fees????
Old May 16, 2017, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
This is a United operated flight- roughly 70K miles + 150 in fees.
Why can't I use travel bank for fees????
Because UA says no
Not valid in conjunction with any other programs (e.g., MileagePlus award redemption)
Old May 16, 2017, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Because UA says no
Wow- that's amazing.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
Wow- that's amazing.
You can only use funds in TravelBank to purchase a new ticket for UA/UAX. If you purchase more than 5 tickets on united.com, then it is a win for you.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:41 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You can only use funds in TravelBank to purchase a new ticket for UA/UAX. If you purchase more than 5 tickets on united.com, then it is a win for you.
Also as someone who books 50+ legs annually for other people travelling with me, this TravelBank really helps. I honestly don't really get the point of the program for UA. Doesn't seem like enough of a carrot to actually change buying decisions but is a boon for someone in my spot who basically would have to do this anyway.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering how many people buy it and forget they have funds there to use. Or just buy it thinking they'll buy the amount of tickets to break even and they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.