Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tax refund?? (for some UA Travel Bank funded trips?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I just received a peculiar email from United saying certain taxes included with my fare booked with my travel bank, shouldn't have been paid and they have been refunded to my travel bank account. They've already been refunded and per my own audit the refunded amount matches the sum of the US Transportation Tax, Flight Segment Tax, and Passenger Facility Charge.

I mean I'm not complaining about getting $20 back for no apparent reason, I'm just a bit perplexed. Anybody experience something similar?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I just received a peculiar email from United saying certain taxes included with my fare booked with my travel bank, shouldn't have been paid and they have been refunded to my travel bank account. They've already been refunded and per my own audit the refunded amount matches the sum of the US Transportation Tax, Flight Segment Tax, and Passenger Facility Charge.

I mean I'm not complaining about getting $20 back for no apparent reason, I'm just a bit perplexed. Anybody experience something similar?
Yes, got the same message today.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Amex MR, Chase UR

Just got this today too! But I can't even remember the last time I booked a flight with TravelBank. Must be months maybe even years ago...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Tax refund

For a flight taken SFO-LAS RT last December, I just received a tax refund of $23.34. Looking at the fare breakdown, refunds appears to be US transportation tax of $6.14, US flight segment tax of $8.20 and US passenger facility charge of $9.00.

Odd.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Troopers
For a flight taken SFO-LAS RT last December, I just received a tax refund of $23.34. Looking at the fare breakdown, refunds appears to be US transportation tax of $6.14, US flight segment tax of $8.20 and US passenger facility charge of $9.00.

Odd.
There are additional reports in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...club-q-39.html
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thanks! Seems odd that the tax refund would be associated with Travelbank payment method. Any thoughts on why?

Mods: pls merge threads if appropriate.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks! Seems odd that the tax refund would be associated with Travelbank payment method. Any thoughts on why? ..
Appears some are reporting the original flight was booked originally with Travel Bank credit

Mods: pls merge threads if appropriate.
Might be premature depending on how widespread this is.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears some are reporting the original flight was booked originally with Travel Bank credit
My flights were paid with TravelBank. No changes (itinerary, etc) were made after tickets initially issued.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
My flights were paid with TravelBank. No changes (itinerary, etc) were made after tickets initially issued.
I had the same happen this morning. Four separate itineraries had "taxes" refunded. Wonder if it will stick.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:43 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I have booked travel with TB in the last few months and I did not get this message.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

Maybe it is because you paid for the entire ticket with the travelbank and it is considered a type of rebate program & the fees they refunded you can't be used from the travelbank?

I paid for a ticket last year with partial travelbank and the rest credit card, so I assume the credit card portion of the payment was used for those fees.

Interesting to see how they might manage this in the future while paying from travelbank for the entire purchase of a ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Originally Posted by stevenou
Just got this today too! But I can't even remember the last time I booked a flight with TravelBank. Must be months maybe even years ago...

got this email to and got a refund of $26 to my account, but can’t work out what is from.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Can't pay taxes/fees using TravelBank

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Maybe it is because you paid for the entire ticket with the travelbank and it is considered a type of rebate program & the fees they refunded you can't be used from the travelbank?
Excellent point! Since they can't be used on award tickets, by extension, they can't be used on revenue!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
I wonder if this means that they're close to fixing TravelBank and re-enabling it. Perhaps this was the problem they've been working on for six months....
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by iloveipods
I wonder if this means that they're close to fixing TravelBank and re-enabling it. Perhaps this was the problem they've been working on for six months....
Good guess. I hope so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.