Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by exerda
What's up with WAS-Japan this year? I have been eyeing September travel to several markets, and am getting Y fares which price not much below what I've paid for J as recently as a year or so back (mid-to-upper $2k range). I'd say it was just too far in advance, and the lowest fares published are Q, but I've checked April, May, June, and September, all with similar fares, and have been checking those dates for a few months running now.

These are at least $1k higher than what I paid for Y 2 years ago, and though I know the last paid J trip I had to Japan was a bargain-basement discount fare, these Y fares are within $1k of that.

Decided on a May trip to TPE instead of NRT or KIX or CTS simply due to it being $1.3k cheaper and somewhere I haven't been.
Many are seeing similar increases and odd pricing on different routes as well.
Unfortunately United has made finding similar prices as seen a year ago MUCH MORE difficult.
I now spend maybe 5 times longer searching for flights than I did not-too-long-ago.

My routine now involves searching different airport combinations, including tiny feeder airports, i.e. AVP-EWR-PEK instead of EWR-PEK. Using matrix, using google flights.
Searching all sorts of different criteria on united.com including award travel, one ways, opposite routing (i.e. several PEK-EWR-PEK instead of several EWR-PEK-EWR with positioning one-way.....twice).

Planning and booking can now take half a day+ for a few months worth of travel, whereas before I'd slap it together in an hour.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
What's up with WAS-Japan this year?
When I was looking at SFO-TYO recently, the cheapest available fare was a Q that priced around $1700. (And the only cheaper published fare was a W with a 60 day AP and 7 day minimum stay.) Apparently UA and NH have enough of a monopoly to TYO from certain airports (including SFO and IAD) they can get away with this kind of uncompetitive pricing.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
When I was looking at SFO-TYO recently, the cheapest available fare was a Q that priced around $1700. (And the only cheaper published fare was a W with a 60 day AP and 7 day minimum stay.) Apparently UA and NH have enough of a monopoly to TYO from certain airports (including SFO and IAD) they can get away with this kind of uncompetitive pricing.
Our daughter now flies to LAX the long way with a one week stay in Europe ( on both in and outbound legs ) for shopping for the same price, about $1700 r/t. Sure, it's on SU, but she and her husband say they have no problems with seat or service and feel it's certainly not worse than UA.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
DCA-EWR in April. UA wants $249 for a U fare on every flight. Which are all empty. Just sitting at that price point since Feb with plenty of lower fare buckets open. Thankfully XN opened up. No movement on X.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On another thread, I complained how since last September when I booked flights to Asia in Polaris Business United wanted $3500 more for flying from my small city in the Midwest. So, booked from ORD.

Now, the same thing is happening for flights to MUC in Economy for May or August trips (I'm not looking at Polaris Business as they are only selling A fares for the May trip). Just to fly from my small city they want $1200 more. So, booked from ORD.

I wonder if the same thing will happen when I have to take a domestic trip.

It's painful. I did not like the CR2s but the 18 minutes wheels up-wheels down on the CR2 beats the milkman's bus. I guess I have to investigate if a taxi or the other companies would take me to ORD and back on my return but I don't know if they are reliable.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Pricing question

I'm looking at EWR to SFO flights on April 11 and there's something that makes no sense to me. Most flights that day in economy are $150-300 but the 8 PM flight (UA 2006) is zeroed out in economy except for YBM. So the price is $950! But the seat map also looks empty. Is the flight really that full or has UA's revenue management system gone bonkers?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pinerd
the 8 PM flight (UA 2006) is zeroed out in economy except for YBM. So the price is $950! But the seat map also looks empty.
Seat maps are irrelevant for determining loads. There could a large group booking, And many people book without selecting seats.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I understand seat maps are not always accurate (I tell that to many) - but this map is literally empty in F and E+. But yes could be a large group that zeroed everything out to YBM.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm looking at EWR to SFO flights on April 11 and there's something that makes no sense to me. Most flights that day in economy are $150-300 but the 8 PM flight (UA 2006) is zeroed out in economy except for YBM. So the price is $950! But the seat map also looks empty. Is the flight really that full or has UA's revenue management system gone bonkers?
Probably an IT error of some kind.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I understand seat maps are not always accurate (I tell that to many) - but this map is literally empty in F and E+. But yes could be a large group that zeroed everything out to YBM.
What about E?

I have been on flights where F and E+ are empty, yet E is completely blacked out / sold. Twice it turned out to be large groups: one school going to DC for a trip and the other a Korean tour group. E seats opened up at T-24, if i recall correctly, only 2-3 rows. The flight was potentially oversold, volunteers solicited, but not used.

I would fall under the assumption that a large group has booked that flight.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
That is an odd one! Pencils in the same way for R/T as well. Even tried it as the first segment of an EWR-SFO-LAX flight. Same thing. And it's a regular flight too, not something special.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
What about E? .... .
No way to tell for sure but 90% E- is occuplied on the seatmap and E+ is 95% unassigned.

While E- on the other flights that night are 50% or less unassigned.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
This seems to be the case. Booking ex-BWI drops the fares back to what I expect, in the $1300-$1500 range for a W fare.

I will pay a premium for a nonstop. Just not $1200+ premium for Y...
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
What about E?

I have been on flights where F and E+ are empty, yet E is completely blacked out / sold. Twice it turned out to be large groups: one school going to DC for a trip and the other a Korean tour group. E seats opened up at T-24, if i recall correctly, only 2-3 rows. The flight was potentially oversold, volunteers solicited, but not used.

I would fall under the assumption that a large group has booked that flight.
I would definitely wager $$ on this being the case... have seen it on one of my TPAC flights where one day only 10% of E- was booked, and the next nearly 95% was booked (like 2 months prior to departure)... turned out to be a huge group (saw them at the gate in SFO). A lot of BE bookings are going to be happy as they will sit in E+ on this Apr 11 flight example.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Booking TPA-JAX, why so difficult & expensive?

I know this is crazy, but I'm trying to book TPA-JAX on United. I've done the Silver Airways partner flight way too many times now, and would prefer to earn some PQMs & PQD, and have back up options if there is a flight delay / cancellation (I got stranded a couple of weeks ago and had to drive - I hate driving).

I found viable options through all four realistic major hubs (EWR, ORD, IAD, and IAH) - with IAD being the shortest/fastest option (~5 hours on the outbound) and EWR being the best from a delay / cancelation perspective given the number of daily flights (7 between TPA-EWR and 4 between EWR-JAX).

Now here is the crazy part - I called the 1K desk and the agent couldn't couldn't even get it to price! I tried multi-city option on the Book Travel section on united.com and it came back at about $900 (granted, I'm flying Mon-Fri, but still)... individually these are like $200 - $300 roundtrip tickets (TPA-EWR, EWR-JAX), so it should be $500 - $600 RT (TPA-JAX)... why is this so hard to book and so expensive???

Oh, and the numbers in the parentheses are the PQM earnings..

(Mod, please move if I posted this in the wrong place).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.