Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yea, I can't imagine why UA didn't throw more metal at that 7 cpm bloodbath.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
My biggest gripe as a 'weekend warrior', is the absence of DEN-EWR redeyes outside of the largest holiday peaks this winter. United finally puts a late EGE-DEN in the schedule for a good chunk of the season, and the last DEN-EWR, most days, is 5:55pm. Even an 8pm DEN-EWR, as has been scheduled in years past, is notably absent.

The DEN-EWR redeye is miserable but at least permits a full ski day, and lands EWR early enough for me to get a few hours' nap in before work. The schedule variability is a pain!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Is LGA-DEN still on the winter schedule? I remember that UA added this flight just for NYC skiers in the past. Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Is LGA-DEN still on the winter schedule? I remember that UA added this flight just for NYC skiers in the past. Cheers.
They even did EWR/LGA-MTJ which was nice. I haven't looked this season as we are going to Banff instead of Telluride as we have the past 7 years.

MRY-DEN-TEX used to be nice until they stopped flying both of those but we were given SFO-MTJ which is more reliable than TEX.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Tblack15
I've found there's a similar gripe in PHL, but mostly centered around pricing. All pricing is exactly the same YoY, but now the "same price" is Basic Economy. I can't do that as I'm checking my skis.
As Gold, don't you keep your checked bag and carry-on privs even on BE?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by threeoh
Is that true? Doesn't matter really, because I'm 6 ft 7 and need the E+. Seat selection isn't allowed right?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tblack15
Is that true? Doesn't matter really, because I'm 6 ft 7 and need the E+. Seat selection isn't allowed right?
Correct; there's no seat selection and no chance of an upgrade. E+ or E- is the luck of the draw.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Amex MR, Chase UR
Hmm I am looking at SFO-ICN OZ 211/212 in business class which is being offered at ~$4k by Asiana, but an astounding ~$13k when offered by United on codeshare. My dates are Jul 6-Jul 15.

I really prefer to book with United for my PQD but that's a ridiculous fare difference. Is there any chance for United to offer it at the same price as Asiana or am I SOL?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stevenou
Hmm I am looking at SFO-ICN OZ 211/212 in business class which is being offered at ~$4k by Asiana, but an astounding ~$13k when offered by United on codeshare. My dates are Jul 6-Jul 15.

I really prefer to book with United for my PQD but that's a ridiculous fare difference. Is there any chance for United to offer it at the same price as Asiana or am I SOL?
It is becoming common for partners to rescrict their deep discount fares to be ticketed only on their ticket stock -- this is called plating restriction.

So it is unlikely OZ will allow UA to sell the discounted fare --
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is becoming common for partners to rescrict their deep discount fares to be ticketed only on their ticket stock -- this is called plating restriction.

So it is unlikely OZ will allow UA to sell the discounted fare --
I'm assuming you're looking at fare UWUK for SFO-ICN. 4055.00(USD) +taxes etc.

Was going to say you're in luck on this one because the first restriction of the fare you're running into is the flight numbers. Fare explicitly states it has to be on 211/212 as well as explicitly stating it must NOT include a UA codeshare. You could get around that by calling UA and feeding the native OZ flight numbers and hoping they'll ticket. The surcharges section states:

Code:
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF OZ OR A3.
OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF OZ OR UA.
but then the sales restrictions states (with no exceptions):

Code:
FARE RULE
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF OZ.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
Looks like you're out of luck on this one. Gotta be on OZ stock.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Amex MR, Chase UR
Ah, thanks for the info. I'm still learning about fare rules and how to read them. I guess I'll just have to go with Asiana! Appreciate the help.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, thanks for the info. I'm still learning about fare rules and how to read them. I guess I'll just have to go with Asiana! Appreciate the help.
Afraid so. I really wish UA would update their program to allow PQDs on non-016 tickets, like DL and AA do. (Actually, I wish they’d dump PQDs entirely, but I’m tilting at windmills on that one).

For clarity, BTW, as well as for anyone who reads this thread later: this is not a matter of UA not honoring that price, but rather OZ refusing to allow UA to sell that ticket at that price. I’m guessing that there are two reasons for that. First of all, if UA issues the ticket, UA keeps the revenue until the flight is completed. I’m sure OZ would rather have the float, but I think that’s a minor issue. I believe the larger issue is that if someone no-shows the flight and a ticket expires, my understanding is that UA keeps most (all?) of the revenue. Further, if there are change fees, I wonder how much (if any) of the fee is passed through to the operating carrier — my guess would be zero, although I’m not certain about that.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
Afraid so. I really wish UA would update their program to allow PQDs on non-016 tickets, like DL and AA do. (Actually, I wish they’d dump PQDs entirely, but I’m tilting at windmills on that one).

For clarity, BTW, as well as for anyone who reads this thread later: this is not a matter of UA not honoring that price, but rather OZ refusing to allow UA to sell that ticket at that price. I’m guessing that there are two reasons for that. First of all, if UA issues the ticket, UA keeps the revenue until the flight is completed. I’m sure OZ would rather have the float, but I think that’s a minor issue. I believe the larger issue is that if someone no-shows the flight and a ticket expires, my understanding is that UA keeps most (all?) of the revenue. Further, if there are change fees, I wonder how much (if any) of the fee is passed through to the operating carrier — my guess would be zero, although I’m not certain about that.
These are probably some guesses of the secret terms of an alliance partnership.... wonder if anyone out there could divulge some additional information on how these things really work......
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
These are probably some guesses of the secret terms of an alliance partnership.... wonder if anyone out there could divulge some additional information on how these things really work......
Actually, no, it should be the IATA standard. You don’t need to be in a marketing alliance to sign an interline ticketing agreement. UA is very happy to sell connections through HKG to CX — even to BKK, in preference to TG. I can’t believe that the processes are negoatiated individually for each set of carriers that have a ticketing agreement (and keep in mind that you can have any number of carriers on a single ticket). The specific cost / payment breakdowns probably are, but the processes — who collects what, when — should be standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.