Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: United Premier Silver
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Each year my friends and I head out to LAS for Super Bowl Weekend. I always book first and the fares have ranged from some really excellent P fares several years ago ($550) to a more normal $800-900ish the last couple years if memory serves correct.

Had a little bit of sticker shock when I started tracking flights last week. Leaving Thursday or Friday February 1st or 2nd has the outbound IAH-LAS either not available up front or at $1633! Even if Saturday they’re at $581 with only a few seats left. Most of the return legs also clock in at $1633. $3200 for first? No thanks.

I've never seen them that high for this route!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Not SOOO expensive but I am trying to book TXL-SFO/LAX-TXL for a friend in Y. UA, LH, BA, AF are all about $1400-$1800 for a week the end of March. This is the second time I've booked TATL Y, am I too late for a cheaper fare? Should I wait a few more weeks until it's 3-4 weeks out?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Not SOOO expensive but I am trying to book TXL-SFO/LAX-TXL for a friend in Y. UA, LH, BA, AF are all about $1400-$1800 for a week the end of March. This is the second time I've booked TATL Y, am I too late for a cheaper fare? Should I wait a few more weeks until it's 3-4 weeks out?
I buy Y to TXL 2-3 times a year.

I would have guessed $1200, but $1400 doesn't seem out of bounds for late march west-coast-to-non-hub-European-city. I do see you can do it for ~$1,000 on TK or WW if you pick your dates right and don't mind layovers.

Another option is BER-NYC non-stop (that's the cheapest BER-USA market ime) r/t and then buy domestic legs. TXL-EWR is $849 non-stop on UA or $566 with 1 stop on SWISS. That's a big budget for domestic flights and if your friend can find something fun to do in NYC for a night then you can view it as a bonus rather than drudgery.

I see you can also do FRA-SFO / LAX-FRA for $1179 and find your own way BER-FRA on LCC or DB.

With AB out of the picture you have to connect one way or the other...if you break your ticket you can often save a couple hundred.

As for "buy now or wait", I think about 4-6 weeks out is the sweet spot BUT sometimes there are great last-minute deals. But sometimes not. And you have to be flexible on dates and gateway cities / possibly re-positioning. For example if you leave tomorrow from TXL for LAX on UA/LH you're paying $2k r/t. If you're willing to leave on Sat 2/10 and return following Saturday, it drops to $720. I'm guessing both flights were somewhere inbetween if priced out a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I've always dealt with either J or W for GPU fares to TXL. In July we got his September ticket for $550, sadly this is his specific Easter break because if you look mid-April now you can get the same flights for like $600-$700. If he can come a day earlier it looks like we may be able to do WOW through KEF.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Not SOOO expensive but I am trying to book TXL-SFO/LAX-TXL for a friend in Y. UA, LH, BA, AF are all about $1400-$1800 for a week the end of March. ....
July is $2,200
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Seeing what feels like crazy fares for a couple trips I need to make later...EWR-MSY RT is showing for near $600 RT in late July (which has to be offseason in New Orleans...the weather is miserable then). EWR-LAS at end of June is showing even higher, like $800 RT. Makes me wonder if things are repricing higher due to oil prices? That's a bit nuts IMO...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Seeing what feels like crazy fares for a couple trips I need to make later...EWR-MSY RT is showing for near $600 RT in late July (which has to be offseason in New Orleans...the weather is miserable then). EWR-LAS at end of June is showing even higher, like $800 RT. Makes me wonder if things are repricing higher due to oil prices? That's a bit nuts IMO...
It's really early to be planning trips for June or July. UA has plenty of time to offer discounts later if they find that seats aren't selling as quickly as they'd hoped.

For domestic trips, outside of holiday or other peak times (CES, Mardi Gras, whatever), the best fares are usually sometime between 2 and 6 weeks prior to departure. I rarely see a great fare months in advance.

Last edited by jsloan; Feb 7, 2018 at 9:14 am Reason: Added "usually" -- no such thing as certainty when it comes to finding low airfare :)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's really early to be planning trips for June or July. UA has plenty of time to offer discounts later if they find that seats aren't selling as quickly as they'd hoped.

For domestic trips, outside of holiday or other peak times (CES, Mardi Gras, whatever), the best fares are sometime between 2 and 6 weeks prior to departure. I rarely see a great fare months in advance.
If a big stock market correction takes place, for instance, that could curtail some business and leisure travel.... I would wait until closer in to book that ticket given the current going rate.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold
Has anyone seen G fares on SFO-IAH recently? I book this flight nearly monthly and the last time I scored G on one leg was 12/16, but the return was L. The last time I got G on both legs was in May of 2017. AA has round trips (at odd times, but not too bad connections) going for $108 in regular economy, the cheapest I've been able to find is $361 RT in BE based on L fares. Used to be that you could get G for under $200 back when Spirit and Frontier operated nonstop flights between IAH and the SF Bay Area, but they stopped doing that some time in the past year...
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by raycosm
Has anyone seen G fares on SFO-IAH recently? I book this flight nearly monthly and the last time I scored G on one leg was 12/16, but the return was L. The last time I got G on both legs was in May of 2017. AA has round trips (at odd times, but not too bad connections) going for $108 in regular economy, the cheapest I've been able to find is $361 RT in BE based on L fares. Used to be that you could get G for under $200 back when Spirit and Frontier operated nonstop flights between IAH and the SF Bay Area, but they stopped doing that some time in the past year...
SFO/IAH is about as close as UA gets to a monopoly, and they write the fare tables that way. You might occasionally get a ULCC match but right now it looks like something straight out of the 90s:

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  LEK2AKDS       L   Y    $191.00  RT  21    S   30   TW  S    N
 UA  TEG4AKDS       T   Y    $201.00  RT  14    S   30  MTWR S    N
 UA  WEA2AFEN       W   Y    $262.00  RT  21    S                 N
 UA  VEA4AFEN       V   Y    $307.00  RT  14    S                 N
 UA  QFA4AFEN       Q   Y    $344.00  RT  14  [1]                 N
 UA  HEA7AFEN       H   Y    $387.00  RT   7    S                 N
 UA  UFA7AFEN       U   Y    $462.00  RT   7  [1]                 N
 UA  EFA0AFEN       E   Y    $565.00  RT      [1]                 N
 UA  MAA0AFEN       M   Y    $665.00  OW                          N
 UA  BAA0AFEY       B   Y    $985.00  OW                          Y
 UA  YAA0AFEY       Y   Y  $1,096.00  OW                          Y
 UA  Y              Y   Y  $6,121.00  OW                          Y

[1] WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS SUN THEN TRAVEL FROM
     LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST
     FRI AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN
     OR - WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS MON THROUGH FRI
          THEN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO
          EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SAT AFTER DEPARTURE FROM
          FARE ORIGIN
     OR - WHEN DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN IS SAT THEN TRAVEL
          FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN
          THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
The Series K fares (-KDS) are seasonal from 27-Feb to 13-Jun.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is it fare to say that if US-AKL is showing ~$3k RT in Y right now at the end of the year, it's unlikely to get any lower? I know it's an extremely popular time of the year to go to that part of the world.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is it fare to say that if US-AKL is showing ~$3k RT in Y right now at the end of the year, it's unlikely to get any lower? I know it's an extremely popular time of the year to go to that part of the world.
If high season (11-Dec-18 to 31-Jan-19), yes. Very similar to the situation on SFO-SYD.

Last edited by findark; Feb 25, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I’ve got a wedding to go to in SAN at the end of May, and UA’s IAD-SAN nonstops are all $920 on the 29th, with nonstops back to IAD on June 1 just as bad. I realize that UA has a monopoly there, but that doesn’t seem sufficient to explain this. And according to the seatmaps, almost nobody else is buying these fares.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I’ve got a wedding to go to in SAN at the end of May, and UA’s IAD-SAN nonstops are all $920 on the 29th, with nonstops back to IAD on June 1 just as bad. I realize that UA has a monopoly there, but that doesn’t seem sufficient to explain this. And according to the seatmaps, almost nobody else is buying these fares.
You've been pegged as a business traveler, and WAS-SAN is apparently one of the domestic markets where UA still has minimum stay requirements. The fare is $1839 all-in for an M fare if you travel 5/29 to 6/1. If you head out early and spend Memorial Day weekend in San Diego, you can fly for $483 (Basic Economy) or $533 (regular economy) RT from Sat 5/26 - Fri 6/1. Alternatively, if you'd rather spend Memorial Day in DC, stay over Friday night and the fare drops from $1839 to $411/$461 for the T fare or $483/533 for the S fare, depending upon which outbound flight you want (5/29 until 6/2).

If there is space available on the Friday flights on the day of departure, you may be able to make a Same-Day change; for example, if you book the 8 AM Saturday departure, and there's space available in your fare class on either the 12:20 PM or 10:00 PM Friday flights -- and you don't book Basic Economy -- you'd be able to change to it for $75 (waived for Premier Gold and above). That still works out to be a lot less than $1839, although you do run the risk of the Friday flights being sold out.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What's up with WAS-Japan this year? I have been eyeing September travel to several markets, and am getting Y fares which price not much below what I've paid for J as recently as a year or so back (mid-to-upper $2k range). I'd say it was just too far in advance, and the lowest fares published are Q, but I've checked April, May, June, and September, all with similar fares, and have been checking those dates for a few months running now.

These are at least $1k higher than what I paid for Y 2 years ago, and though I know the last paid J trip I had to Japan was a bargain-basement discount fare, these Y fares are within $1k of that.

Decided on a May trip to TPE instead of NRT or KIX or CTS simply due to it being $1.3k cheaper and somewhere I haven't been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.