Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Nothing unfair about charging a premium for a non-stop flight
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by Kacee
The pricing on UA's nonstop SFO-Hawaii flights provides a really great example of an airline exploiting a captive hub.

I'm struck by this virtually every time I price these flights.
there are plenty of airlines flying SFO-Hawaii, just not so much SFO-LIH. Of course united has to make money somewhere. you should petition jetblue to fly it.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by Legend717
That's pretty much the way all airfares work.
Yes, it's aggravating. But welcome to the consequence of allowing mega-mergers in the airline industry to reduce us to just a handful of airlines. (though it started long before the current market environment existed, of course)
Had you considered taking Hawaiian from another Bay Area airport? Like Hawaiian to HNL or OGG and a quick 'n easy connection to LIH?
You might find better prices by increasing the flexibility of your plans.
ALSO, if you choose to terminate in a city other than your ticketed destination (i.e., getting off at SFO), be warned: the airlines don't like this, and can taken action against your MileagePlus account, up to an including termination. That said, it's unlikely that they'd do anything drastic the first time, but United is also run by a bunch of jerks these days, if you haven't noticed.
i don't think this has to do with mergers. airfare exactly works the same way 20 years ago as today. Back then, im pretty sure SFO-LIH will come at a premium too. nothing stops Virgin or AS to fly SFO-LIH, but they chose not to because they can't make money. on the other hand, there are plenty of competitors on SFO-HNL, so UA can't charge too much. Simple demand and supply at work here. SFO as a hub is not like MSP, DTW or ATL. no one is hub captive here, at least not to the extent people experience at Delta hubs. Otherwise, UA's margin will be through the roof.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal
The round trip fare from SFO to LIH is $781 on the dates my wife wants to travel. However, fares are much lower to LIH from several western citied if they connect to this same SFO to LIH flight. For example, Sacramento to SFO , then connected to the same SFO to LIH flight is $321 cheaper! Would there be any penalties if we took the outbound flights as scheduled, but on the way back just get off in SFO and not take the last leg to Sacramento?

I apologize if this sort of question has been asked before but this infuriating situation is new to me.
LOL welcome to my world! I recently posted (last week) about this on a SFO-KOA flight pricing. My buddy flying out of IAD to KOA tjhrough SFO his ticket is about $300 less than mine and we are actually on the same SFO-KOA-SFO flights! There was the usual discussion about throwaway ticketing, hidden-city ticketing, and point-beyond ticketing which are technically prohibited by UA/airlines. It was posted on the "why is this ticket so expensive" board.

As I fly this route often I may try flying out of SMF if the savings is worth it. From my Napa home it is about the same travel time and SMF is EASY with cheaper parking. I suspect it is a VERY early departure out of SMF to make the morning connection at SFO.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Just wondering what the equivalent dates on AS and HA in the area (incl. alternates airports) are? Might be time to vote with your wallet if there are better options?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I've done this before as well (SMF) by utilizing a one-way car rental for the outbound flights.

I assume you've priced Hawaiian and Alaska from OAK-LIH as well? HA just started their new A321 service in that market, which is pretty nice, especially compared to UA.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Just wondering what the equivalent dates on AS and HA in the area (incl. alternates airports) are? Might be time to vote with your wallet if there are better options?
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I assume you've priced Hawaiian and Alaska from OAK-LIH as well? HA just started their new A321 service in that market, which is pretty nice, especially compared to UA.
AS is often considerably cheaper, from both SFO and OAK. And it's not like UA has a great product on these routes. Especially to LIH, KOA, and OGG, UA is basically targeting hub-captive UA business travelers vacationing in the islands with their families.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
AS is often considerably cheaper, from both SFO and OAK. And it's not like UA has a great product on these routes. Especially to LIH, KOA, and OGG, UA is basically targeting hub-captive UA business travelers vacationing in the islands with their families.
I have been shifting more of my flying dollars to AS over the last two years and may even move more over to AS as they now have a bigger presence out of SFO. UA still seems to have the better times to the Islands (slightly) and still the most flights. Also when I have compared pricing with AS considering I now have zero status with them it often isn't a whole lot cheaper given similar amenities (luggage fees, upgraded seating and boarding, food and bev fees). However I still watch there (AS) pricing like a hawk now. UA pricing to the Islands now, per several recent posts, is really all over the board.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
UA pricing to the Islands now, per several recent posts, is really all over the board.
$780 rt to Kauai doesn't sound awful to me - it is after all, the same distance as a transcon. Getting it $300 less sounds like a fantastic deal - you can't sustain that route profitably if all the seats go sub $500.

The UA pricing is all over the board is that they have the most seats/capacity to Hawaii from the US Mainland.

Often, if you travel off peak days - don't fly outbound to Hawaii Thursday/Friday and don't return Fri-Mon, you can often find better deals.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Somewhat similar, flights out of COS often add $600 to the total cost of a ticket depending on certain destinations, but cheaper for others. I'm amazed that the actual PQD shows up as something like $21 for COS-DEN, with the remainder on DEN-XXX. Used to be flying out of COS would add around $100-150, and the $ amount would reflect that, now it's all over the map with no logic whatsoever. Flying to LAS next week, and a COS departure was absurd, while Denver was cheap. Just booked SLC and PHX, and COS was cheaper than DEN departure. LAS is more competitive than SLC and PHX, so why the pricing is so different is beyond me.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
$780 rt to Kauai doesn't sound awful to me - it is after all, the same distance as a transcon. Getting it $300 less sounds like a fantastic deal - you can't sustain that route profitably if all the seats go sub $500.

The UA pricing is all over the board is that they have the most seats/capacity to Hawaii from the US Mainland.

Often, if you travel off peak days - don't fly outbound to Hawaii Thursday/Friday and don't return Fri-Mon, you can often find better deals.
Fly in and out of the Islands for business pretty regularly and yes I will typically grab a flight under $800. Very occasionally I have gotten a ticket for sub $500 but agree that is rare.
For peak days to the Islands I would also add Saturday morning flights.
UA is still running three NS/day into KOA and I will be curious to see what happens after the summer if the volcano is still active. They are going to need to fill those seats.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nomad420
UA is still running three NS/day into KOA and I will be curious to see what happens after the summer if the volcano is still active. They are going to need to fill those seats.
Or, do what UA has been doing - promising new flights, scheduling and booking new flights, flying new flights, spreadsheeting without assessing competition, cutting flights, etc.

"Oh, wait, did we say we were expanding flights into HI? Ooops."

David
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:25 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Prim8Pal
Would there be any penalties if we took the outbound flights as scheduled, but on the way back just get off in SFO and not take the last leg to Sacramento?

I apologize if this sort of question has been asked before but this infuriating situation is new to me.
Search the forum for "hidden city" ticketing; discussed many times. Bottom line is that it's against the rules, and the airline in theory could try to penalize you (such as by making you pay what the non-stop would have cost). But almost certainly you'll get away with it unless you make a habit of it.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
Search the forum for "hidden city" ticketing; discussed many times. Bottom line is that it's against the rules, and the airline in theory could try to penalize you (such as by making you pay what the non-stop would have cost). But almost certainly you'll get away with it unless you make a habit of it.
I have been tempted to do it because I typically fly without luggage to the Islands so getting off prior to destination would not be an issue (as far as luggage). Some people have made practice of this and indeed some have been caught and have had there status revoked. As previously noted, throwaway ticketing, hidden-city ticketing, and point-beyond ticketing is technically prohibited it seems people have gotten away with it if they don't make a practice of it. Also, pax have left flights early for legitimate reasons such as weather delays, I have done that several times myself where I was stuck in DEN trying to get to EGG or ASE and dumped the last leg and drove up mountain. Know that if you do this on the first leg of a RT ticket the whole ticket is then cancelled (that is no return ticket). People have been messed up by this many times and the airlines are not very sympathetic.

Last edited by nomad420; Jul 27, 2018 at 12:11 pm Reason: syntax error
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Or, do what UA has been doing - promising new flights, scheduling and booking new flights, flying new flights, spreadsheeting without assessing competition, cutting flights, etc.

"Oh, wait, did we say we were expanding flights into HI? Ooops."

David
What new Hawaii flights has UA failed to deliver?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.