Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread is
Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this fare so expensive?" Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Silver AS MVPG
Thank you for the response. Even searching for just one passenger shows the same cost. I have looked into separating the bookings, but no savings there.

The HNL-NRT-BOM route is $6k+
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lih808
I have been tracking the cost for flying LIH-BOM for 9 pax for an upcoming trip. Not all passengers were confirmed yet so I have been waiting to book. Cost was about $1200 for the past month, every once in a while it would jump to 1900.

Now it has been $1900 for a steady week? I am used to seeing the cost go up for a few days, then back down, but that hasn’t happened yet.

You might be in a snooze you lose situation - I'm not sure why didn't book at $1,200 if you saw it seesaw between $1,200-$1,900 consistently for an entire month.

$1,200 seems like a bargain fare LIH-BOM
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:17 pm

I ended up booking two separate itineraries. LIH-SFO-ATL-EWR for $588, EWR-BOM for $902. Still less than any multi city or RT i could see.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:23 pm

I ended up booking two separate itineraries. LIH-SFO-ATL-EWR for $588, EWR-BOM for $902. Still less than any multi city or RT i could see.
You booked a double connection itinerary leading to a separate itinerary once-daily int'l flight with a party of 9? Very brave.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:25 pm

It's United, what could go wrong
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How many days did you leave between the two separate tickets?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:43 pm

8 hrs
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Why Would AC and UA be 50% off on price?

My family is looking to fly to YUL in November and I noticed something strange. The flights are all operated by AC. If I buy it through AC (uses AC flight numbers) it is $650 for the three of us. If I go through UA (the return flight uses a UA flight number) it is over $900. Why would this occur?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salisboss
Why would this occur?
Inventory is different on the UA codeshares than the AC flight. (UA has sold more of its allocation, or expects to sell more of its remaining allocation, etc.) This happens all the time. Sometimes the codeshare is cheaper; sometimes the native flight numbers are cheaper.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Inventory is different on the UA codeshares than the AC flight. (UA has sold more of its allocation, or expects to sell more of its remaining allocation, etc.) This happens all the time. Sometimes the codeshare is cheaper; sometimes the native flight numbers are cheaper.
AC is often cheaper than UA for the same routing, I assume they're just pricing more aggressively.

For the record, 50% off $900 would be $450, not $650, so not quite as good a deal as you imply.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
AC now has a basic economy like product. Is OP sure that s/he was comparing apples to apples, or was the AC fare for a stripped down basic economy product while UA was selling a more fulsome economy?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
AC is often cheaper than UA for the same routing, I assume they're just pricing more aggressively.
That's possible too. Since the AC/UA transborder JV isn't in place, they're not allowed to cooperate on fares.

Originally Posted by milepig
For the record, 50% off $900 would be $450, not $650, so not quite as good a deal as you imply.
Yes, but $900 is 50% more than $600...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how they manage the inventory (considering also married segments) and split the money on these codeshares...

Even though there is no JV between AC and UA on transborder flights, they price as if they have a monopoly. I am sure part of this is they have more nonstops because of AC. DL and AA come out cheaper a lot of the time in my experience.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, but $900 is 50% more than $600...
Thread title literally says "50% off" not "50% more".
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I read "50% off" as meaning 50% different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.